has anyone tried different squid jigs?

odysea_yt

Ive never seen something like that before, however, Ive found that 'cheap Chinese' glow in the dark fishing gear will glow when you put a purple UV light on it, however, within a minute, the green glow completely fades away, that's been my experiences with other glow Chinese fishing goods so just be cautious, you may need to 'refuel' the glow regularly if you want that to be the feature drawing squid in. 

21 minutes ago, Peter K said:

Ive never seen something like that before, however, Ive found that 'cheap Chinese' glow in the dark fishing gear will glow when you put a purple UV light on it, however, within a minute, the green glow completely fades away, that's been my experiences with other glow Chinese fishing goods so just be cautious, you may need to 'refuel' the glow regularly if you want that to be the feature drawing squid in. 

i dont really care if its glow in the dark, it doesn't really seem to make a difference. Im more concerned that the shape and legs will be bad or good cause it looks very different from traditional jigs

It would depend if its a soft plastic lure type of stretching material, or if it is a solid hard plastic, does it create any action, does it impart the action or prevent the squid jig from working the way they are normally designed to work. Only way to know is give it a crack, seeing how cheap they are its fine to loose a few, also I'd be checking the quality of the hooks. 

1 hour ago, Tunastrike11 said:

I have used all types of squid jigs over the years and what i have found is its pretty hard to go past Yamashita jigs they work and pink lumo in the early morning or late afternoon is a very affective jig.

its hard to go past yamashita but what made me go past was the price tag XD

Squid will take it - they take all kinds of soft plastics, so classic unaltered squid jig shape is absolutely not a requirement (of course). However, cheap stuff like that often has other problems. I.e., weight distribution is wrong, or the loop will break off before the leader does, or spikes aren't sharp enough. I had some lures which I regret purchasing which behaved in water not like an attractive bait, but like a piece of plastic just dipping and twisting randomly... So I dunno, it might be worth a try if it's cheap, but expect the likelihood of having to throw the whole bunch away to be quite high.

Arent regular squid jigs supposed to mimic prawns in the first place? I've had squid and cuttles follow plastic before so I think those would work. Just a matter of how it sinks, how strong it is and how well the action is I think

Edited by TheFishyFisherman

I don't fish squid but what my eging sensei friend told me is that the jigs action do differ. While a lot of them are crap, many of them also work alright. Kmart jigs work as I see people pulling squids using them. Some knockoffs could work the same maybe as its original ones which are pretty good. If you wanna maximise your chance having limited time, go for the tried and true well-known brand. Otherwise you can try whatever you like. Not speaking about squid jigs, but there're some really good cheap alternatives I found personally.

On 10/13/2024 at 4:39 PM, odysea_yt said:

Hi everyone,

recently i saw this bargain 10 dollars for 10 squid jigs on a Chinese website, but I'm not sure whether the new shape will impact squid jigging. Does anyone use this type of jig?image.thumb.png.6cc54bbc0ee5fb91c4c6163cd57d282f.png

Chinese squid jig user here. Used plenty of them like from letoyo and caught plenty of squid with them. I use them to see what bottom is like first before more expensive jigs

I use alot of cheap Chinese made lures and caught loads of fish on them

Edited by faker

3 hours ago, faker said:

Chinese squid jig user here. Used plenty of them like from letoyo and caught plenty of squid with them. I use them to see what bottom is like first before more expensive jigs

I use alot of cheap <retailer removed> lures and caught loads of fish on them

thanks, this is reassuring!

2 hours ago, odysea_yt said:

thanks, this is reassuring!

Safe a few bucks with letoyo tap dancer, allblue crazy shrimps, countbass crank baits

They are jackals, ecogear and cranka knock offs