Boat Deal Went Pear Shaped =(

Sammy0884

Heya guys,

after the jewie social i decided i couldn't wait to get a boat any longer, and decided to spend today shopping,

despite spending months looking for something to suit my needs and taste, i have been unable to find anything that excited me, i had narrowed it down to a quinnie coast runner or a polycraft...

but today i hit the jackpot,

Quintrex 455 coastrunner with maxi2 transom and millenium hull, yamaha 60hp efi 4st, luxury interior package, lowrance sounder, all 2004 model... $19k

i was pretty stoked, and i but a deposit on it right there and then, i liked the idea of the poly, but there isn't an option to hide from spray in chop, which the missus hates...

i pick it up on friday, time for somebody to show me how to use the damn thing, seeing as i have never owned or launched a boat before~

Cheers

Sam

Edited by Sammy0884

Guest bluecod

Good feeling eh! Sam - this is going to be one hell of a long week for you :(

First run out, take along someone who has a few years of boat ownership under their belt so they can show you all the don'ts

Where are you located Sammy and have you a preferred boat ramp to launch from? Throw up your location and you'll get PM's like wildfire with offers of assistance.

Make sure your maiden voyage is on a weekday and give yourself plenty of time. I've known experienced boaties to make simple mistakes towing, at the ramp and out on the water so don't stress if you forget a hat but remember to put the bungs in.

i am near hursville, i guess my preferred ramp would be anything close and on the georges river, there is a good one at oatley bay...

i have never towed a trailer or a boat before, so i am a complete boat handling virgin!

like not beaching it on an outgoing tide unless you have an army of men to push you out lol

thats a good one sammy. :074::074: if there werent as many blokes there sat arvo he would of had to wait for the high tide to move.well it good to see your new boat.if you ever need a fishing companion give us

a yell, im only down the road in kingsgrove.

Hi sammy,

Congrats on the purchase... nice looking boat! :1clap:

When i got my boat i made sure i brought along someone who had a history of boating just as bluecod suggested doing. I actually got them to do all the work and i studied intensely. once i had taken everything in i would repeat everything they did and for me it worked a treat.

just having someone there who is experienced just gives you more confidence as well, it could be something as simple like ensuring the bungs are in.

trailers are a weird thing, its not easy on a weekend when you turn up at the boat ramp and there keen boaters everywhere trying to get into the water, waiting to get that sea spray on their face. some boaters are patient. for some reason others aren't so patient and this sensation of sea spray can turn an impatient boater into a beast :angry2: , i have experienced this first hand.

the best suggestion i can give is one that may make some people laugh :mfr_lol: but what i did is i went with my wife to the local boat ramp at stupid hours of the day/night, when i knew there weren't many people around. we took turns in trying to revers the boat to the waters edge. we were really lucky, the second night we tried it there was a guy who had just finished his fishing trip and saw us trying. he came over and gave us a simple tip, try and use a line to keep straight i.e at our ramp there is a deep concrete line straight down. at the beginning i always used the line as a guide to keep the trailer straight and so did my wife (i love it when my wife reverses the boat, all the guys watch to see if a women can do it, and boy is she good at it).

i hope these silly tips help.

enjoy the boating/fishing...there is nothing like being on the water, OH except being on the water and catching a nice fish :fishing1:

well done sammy nice boat champ,

seeing as ur at hurstville try the cooks river ramp theres plenty of room there and 3 lanes to back ur boat in2,

when i 1st got my boat i dndt have any clue how to reverse it so wat i did is went down to the local industrial area in the late afternoon when its nice and quiet and just practiced reversing into the drive ways,

takes a little bit of time to master but you will pick it up very soon,

mate if u need a helping hand or fishing buddy dont hesitate and pm me im on the bay most weekends

and id be glad to help out anytime,

cheers steve :1fishing1:

:ranting2: F@#k,,

F@#K

well, i heard back about the finance on the boat.... and it is absolutley rediculous.... i am going to have to pull out of the deal, it works out to be more than double the value of the boat over the relatively short period

i am absolutley gutted guys, i was so excited and so keen, i thought i was being 'looked after' , but i guess not, :1badmood: , the story goes as follows....

i wanted to spend under $10k, i walked past this one and made a general enquiry, but shunned it because of the price, i was then sold on the idea of finance, and how it would allow me to get a boat of such value for very little more than some of the cheaper boats i was looking at....

now i need someone to help me find a boat for under $10k

i feel like i have been properly f'd in the bum!

Mate thats a damn shame. Bloody finance companies piss me off ! Have you tried other ways to finance the deal ? There is more than one way to skin a cat. You may get the green light from a different finance mob.

In saying that though make sure you dont bite off more than you can handle, its easy to get carried away in the excitement. Dont leave yourself short.

Hope it works out.

Go see Yabbie first and then you will get an idea of what you need to do :thumbup: They will help and advise you on your best course of action .They are very approachable as well ,Ben (wakd) is also a member and works at Yabbie as well and would only be to happy to assist you in your hour of need :biggrin2:

Cheers Swordfisherman

P.S If you want an intro I will come over with you at the end of the week :thumbup:

Yes Stewy is right there. We have always had good service from them and they turned our boat out beautifully as you saw at the social day. We seem to push this company down everyone's throats at times but they looked after us and we are very pro Polycraft as it has exceeded all expectations.

They sell other brands there as well, new and second hand and you may pick up something that suits your price range. Don't forget that you can start off with a basic hull and add stuff as finances permit :biggrin2:

Don't despair, take your time and keep on being a great deckie with your fishraider mates till you become a skipper in your own right :thumbup:

Above all ENJOY YOUR FISHING

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

hi guys,

i rang the bank, they will approve a loan for the value of the boat, but it will still leave me highly over committed,

i am just pissed off that i let myself get sucked in by the salesman, i told him i wanted to spend, and he showed me a boat that was double the value

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Polycraft-4-55-Yama...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Sammy0884

Guest bluecod

i am just pissed off that i let myself get sucked in by the salesman,

Sammy,

Bad luck mate - but there is a bright side and that is you're not tied in to something you can't afford at this stage.

Take your time and something with your name on it will come along and when it does, set up a routine with your launching and retrieving. Once you've set your routine, stick with it as it is the easiest way to avoid a pitfall.

Happy boat hunting

hi guys,

i rang the bank, they will approve a loan for the value of the boat, but it will still leave me highly over committed,

i am just pissed off that i let myself get sucked in by the salesman, i told him i wanted to spend, and he showed me a boat that was double the value

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Polycraft-4-55-Yama...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sammy

Go the Poly!!!!! If you buy new - 4 year warranty!!!! (if you are short of funds, then it's great to know that you have a warranty to protect your pocket!!).

I'm waiting on a call from Ben at Yabbie to let me know my baby has arrived, so i can give the thumbs-up for both the poly AND Yabbie.

If you go down to Yabbie, $10k might just get you a 4.1 open, 30hp suzi & trailer. BRAND NEW!!!! (that means warranty on boat, motor AND trailer.

Maybe have a look at the Silverwater boat show???? (I'm sure Yabbie will be there!).

Best of luck in the hunting for the boat.

Numbers.