Boat Deal Went Pear Shaped =(

Sammy0884

and remember Sammy - you might spend $20k on a boat, but then there is the licence cost, rego, insurance, not to mention the add-ons you'll want (rod-holders, live bait tank etc, extra ropes, fenders, flares and v-sheet etc if you want to go out into 'open waters') and the new boat rod and new reel you MUST have, extra tackle, tackle bags, buckets, boat cover, bearing buddies and grease....... the list goes on and on! Also the petrol costs (min$20-$30 per outing), 2 stroke oil, parking costs at the ramp, 10 hr service ($200-$300) etc etc..... A costly exercise is this boating caper, so my advice is get something you can comfortably afford, and also afford to RUN. Good luck mate :thumbup:

Edited by hatheadheaven

Dead right hatheadheaven,

My first boat was a little 13' SeaAl, and I've still got it.

It was a perfect first boat for me to learn the ropes and OK, it's not the most comfortable (or beautiful) thing on the water (a bit small and bouncy) but I've learned a lot about boating, navigation, trailers, motors, sounders, batteries, bilge pumps, wiring, windscreens... jeezus, the list goes on and on doesn't it?

The whole thing cost me just over $2K and I've put a few things in it since then, sounder, battery, forward sterring, larger trailer wheels, bilge pump etc etc etc (there's that list again) so the cost is now over $3K (as a rough guess) with everything I've bought over time (I don't count servicing in this). I'm quite happy with it as a little fishing rig now and my next thing will be a transom mounted MinnKota when I get the cash together to help chase those bream and bass.

It costs me next to nothing each month to insure as well.

The most important thing is I can handle it by myself and I'm confident enough to head out on my own for a mid week or weekend trip no worries.

I think what people say about over committing on your first rig is right and thats probably the reason you see quite a few late model boats for sale around the place. People buy them and then realise the work and DOLLARS involved in looking after and maintaining a boat and decide its not for them.

With the experience I've gained now I'd be confident enough to go up to a bigger boat but my tinnie is doing just great and I wouldn't part with it right now. It's like a child to me!!! :074:

Anyway, I hope you get into something really soon cause there's nothing more satisfying or rewarding than catching a fish in your own boat - it's magic.

I hope all this helps. It's just my views based on my own experiences as a first time boat owner so hope you can take something from it.

Regards

David.

Thats the same idea me and my mate had david, we didnt want the burden of an old boat and decided to go to a 3.55 sea-jay with 15 four stroke on the back, time after time i see people at boat ramps with either starting problems or trying to man handle the boat on their own without having experiance, the only downside i find is the size but it still does the job and maintaince is a breeze, quick rinse with soap then water, service on the motor every 50 hours, sammy dont despair to much, maybe you should be a deckie for a while and experiance different size boats im sure people would only be too glad to share their thoughts on their own boats and it will give you a feel for what you are after. :thumbup:

Sammy Perhaps your experience has been a blessing in disguise. Spending well above the buget can become depressing , not necessarly from the repayments aspect but each day seeing the boat & feeling obligated to hook it on & go for a run.

The guys have made a lot of good comments including the additional cost to day to day boating.

As previously mentioned , if the oportunity arrises to spend a bit of time as a "deckie" it will be invaluable experience.

There is a lot around for < $10k so keep looking

Geoff

You are never alone here Sammy ,all the guys have experience and we have all been through this :thumbdown: Just part of being a boat owner .Once the dust settles take note of all these very experienced fishos ideas and suggestions and mull them over for a while and the solution will come to you very soon one way or the other :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Stewie,

thanks for your input, and for everyone elses kind words and valuble input...

i really appreciate it, and i am in a better position to buy now than i was before...

but...

i think i might have a winner on the boat front, but can anyone offer advice on getting a boat and trailer transported from brisbane to sydney, or am i going to have to plan a road trip?

Hi again Sammy,

I think what the guys are not so tactfully trying to say is that towing a second hand trailer you're unfamiliar with that far could result in major troubles. If the bearings are only sort of OK in Brissy they could be cactus by the time you get half way home :thumbdown:

You could wind up stuck somewhere on the side of the road with no way to fix it. Even if you know what you're doing, changing bearings on the side of the road in the dirt and dust is no way to do it.

Surely there must be a boat for sale somewhere in Sydney that suits your needs. It might not be for sale today but hang on for a while and keep looking. You'll find something without going to all the trouble and hassle of buying interestate.

Cheers,

Hi again Sammy,

I think what the guys are not so tactfully trying to say is that towing a second hand trailer you're unfamiliar with that far could result in major troubles. If the bearings are only sort of OK in Brissy they could be cactus by the time you get half way home :thumbdown:

You could wind up stuck somewhere on the side of the road with no way to fix it. Even if you know what you're doing, changing bearings on the side of the road in the dirt and dust is no way to do it.

Surely there must be a boat for sale somewhere in Sydney that suits your needs. It might not be for sale today but hang on for a while and keep looking. You'll find something without going to all the trouble and hassle of buying interestate.

Cheers,

Good point, with the wheel bearings and all....

i'll probably try to arrange to have it freighted down on tnt road transport, i have an account at work.

Good point, with the wheel bearings and all....

i'll probably try to arrange to have it freighted down on tnt road transport, i have an account at work.

i freighted a 6 metre centre console (7 metre on the trailer) from Brizzy to Sydney for around $700-$800.

I'll Pm you the details a little later of the mob that I used if I can find them for you.

( I figured that in my car, petrol alone would be 600ish ( She guzzles when towing) so in the end it was alright and a better option than towing