Turtles Syd Hbr

robbo75

I have foul hooked a turtle before, in the neck.

I didn't want to leave my hook in him but he kept trying to bite me so I reefed it out quickly and gave him a bit of a gash. :(

Thought that was better as he couldn't tuck his head in properly with the hook still in. :(

Hope it was the correct think to do. I know fish can get along with a hook in them, but what do you for a turtle?

Ant:)

The harbour has heaps of wildlife saw a couple of penguins the western side of Blues point last week

Hawkeye

Yeah i saw a bloody penguin when i was fishing off taylors point jetty the other day, but nobody believes me! my girlfriend went back to the car to get her jumper and he popped up out of the water, and i was like "what the F#$% a penguin!" and by the time she got back it was gone, and she wouldnt beleive me lol

I've seen a good size one in the harbour (much bigger than that) and my brother was towed off his anchor (admittedly in a 6 foot tender) by one that he estimated to be 85cm across. He wasn't using SS hooks, so the best he could do is cut the line. It would be too dangerous to get close to the tiny boat against such a beast.

hey guys i havent seen turtles before in the harbour but boy have i seen heaps of penguins in the harbour and also botany bay. they were in groups of about 4 or 5 each time. come to mention it i always see them in the harbour around clifton gardens and the spit bridge near the rocks feeding on baitfish and singing like crazy.

Seen Turtles in both Botany Bay and Pitwatter ,also saw one up at Woy Woy many years ago(when I was young) never seen one in the Harbour but there would be no reason they would not be there .

There is a Penguin rookery in the Harbour and in Pittwater, not sure about Botany though.

Saw a Seal in the Harbour last year a couple of times. A mate saw one of the third Runway last week and another mate saw one off Molinex point this afternoon.

Plenty of wildlife out there, Enjoy.

B.F.

The old man hooked a large turtle on a front flipper whilst catching livies at Port Botany.......on a handline :074:

And he got it to the boat, which was a good effort. I think he wanted his hook back :074::074:

Cheers

Red

yeah, heaps of fairy penguins arounf blue fish point, grotto point, middle head.

In similar news i caught a seagull yesterday, he picked up a baited hook for baitfish which I lay on the wharft for a sec. cut it off