Yft From The Shelf 20/08/06

netic

Hey guys,

as planned decided to go out to Browns today.

Got to Kyeemagh ramp at around 5.30am and bumped into a few raiders there who also were going out to browns.

Launched the boat and headed straight to the shelf.

Very calm waters with nearly zero swell and a light westerly.

As soon as we reached the shelf got the outriggers on and spread the skirts.

as i was running through the run down with the boys on who will get which rod my rod gets smacked off the rigger and then the rod buckles.

Run to grab the rod and then another rod goes off.

I grab my rod and my mate grabs the other and the fight begins, after a 20 second or so tussle my mates YFT spits the hook and he is spewing but my one is still on.

He runs deep taking a shi.tload of line and slowly and cautiously i begin to bring him up, after a 20-25 minute fight i land the bastard, an estimated 30-35 kg YFT, (didnt have any scales).

all the boys are cheering and we now begin to troll again pumped up from our quick success seeing the lures had only been in the water for a few minutes before the tuna struck.

We continue to troll to browns without any hits. As we get to browns we notice alot of boats, easily 30+.

Decided to cube a good 5kms away from the closest boat, cubed for an hour or so before we got bored and decided to troll again.

Trolled around browns for a bit then headed to the shelf then to 12 mile without any hits, on our way back to the heads we got a Small Stripey ( 55cms) so we whacked it on as a livey in the hope some marlin may be around but nothing was touched, not the livie or the skirts.

So we headed back in with just the 1 YFT and the 1 Stripe.

Heres some pics. So have some video for you guys soon. keep an eye out

hey netic

Geat fish mate and congratulations. Eerytime i see a YFT i get a smile on my face.

My brother was at browns today and he caught 2 YFT today around 25-30kg mark. He did say that the weather was perfect today for fishing.

Hiya Netic

Mate u r killing it with the Fin well done on getting the time into to get out 2 Browns and find the fish,

Great shots mate :)

Still trying to get out there this season, was an interesting articale on the warmth of the east coast current and the comments on fish esp Striped Marlin and there presence in Winter, always a chance ;)

Nice report and great to see people gettting fish out there.

JOn

It looks like it's worth the pain and effort..

GREAT fish , busy as a car park ...

What skirts please?

Mate i got him on a Mcgoo puser, the lost one was on a bibless minnow

gday fellow raiders

Very nice report netic and i wanted to kno how big is ur boat and ur rod reel and gear.

and also how far is the shelf from botany and wats further the shelf or browns mountain?

THanku Kabz

The size of the boat is a Alum 575. We Use a variety of gear from a Shimano Tyrnos 30 to Tiagra's and Penn international's.

The shelf is around 26kms from the bay and Browns is 37km

gday netic

Just wanted to kno i have a okuma titus gold 15L wit 10kilo line and 25kilo trace will that handle a yellowfin tuna to about 10kilos or do u recomend a diff outfit im only gunna target them mostly around 12mile mark

Well done on the fin mate

Did you get to weigh the fish at all ?

What size rod did you get it on ? 15kg,24kg,37kg

i have also experienced lossing good fin on bibless minnows we lost ours at the side of the boat which made

it worst , it was estimated from 2 experieced game fishos at 50kg plus

anyway thats what keeps you going for them

Just wanted to kno i have a okuma titus gold 15L wit 10kilo line and 25kilo trace will that handle a yellowfin tuna to about 10kilos or do u recomend a diff outfit im only gunna target them mostly around 12mile mark

Hey buddy, mate you should be fine but im a beleiver in having fishing strong line as i cant stand losing fish ( like most fishos). 10kg line might be a little light if you have to bring him up out of a deep run as YFT are well known for running deep.

It will also take longer to pull in then it would with say 24kg line. I love catching them with my Tyrnos 30 spooled with 24kg Triline (thiiner then most 50lb line and it is still IGFA rated).

Well done on the fin mate

Did you get to weigh the fish at all ?

What size rod did you get it on ? 15kg,24kg,37kg

i have also experienced lossing good fin on bibless minnows we lost ours at the side of the boat which made

it worst , it was estimated from 2 experieced game fishos at 50kg plus

No i didnt get to weigh him at all, he was 135cm and the 30-35kg estimate is based on some other fins they have been caught of the same length which were weighed.

I caught it on a Tyrnos 30 sppoled with 50lb triline on a 15kg backbone elite

Cracker of a fish there Oz. great stuff.

How many people can you comfortably fish on a boat that size ?

We had four of us on the boat and didnt get in each others way at all, we have fished with 5 this boat is a bowrider so the extra space up front is great for room.

Netic - you da man.

I thought from the way you were writing earlier this year that you were basically going to go into fishing hibernation this winter until you could get a crack at the summer kings again, but how wrong I was. If there's good sports-fishing to be had off Sydney then you're always into it!!

It is SO COMMON to hear reports of people cracking a great fish on their first cast, only to catch nothing again for the rest of the day. Why is it so? Is it just timing your fishing with the dawn/dusk? Would Netic have caught 5 fin if he'd got to the shelf 2 hours earlier?

These are the questions that I want answered dammit!!

Anyway, once again - great work on the fin Netic. They just don't come any tastier than that.

Netic - you da man.

I thought from the way you were writing earlier this year that you were basically going to go into fishing hibernation this winter until you could get a crack at the summer kings again, but how wrong I was. If there's good sports-fishing to be had off Sydney then you're always into it!!

It is SO COMMON to hear reports of people cracking a great fish on their first cast, only to catch nothing again for the rest of the day. Why is it so? Is it just timing your fishing with the dawn/dusk? Would Netic have caught 5 fin if he'd got to the shelf 2 hours earlier?

These are the questions that I want answered dammit!!

Anyway, once again - great work on the fin Netic. They just don't come any tastier than that.

Well i was going into fishing hibernation this winter but this winter has been different to recent years, Good variety of fish to be caught and i have a disease called seereportwant2fish syndrome, i cant stay at home when i know fish are out there.

It was great to catch the fin so early into our day and i wanted to get my mates onto some because they havent caught one yet and i love seeing my mates getting good fish, unfortunately it wasnt to be as we couldnt find the school that hit us the first time.

Still i was happy with the one we got. Just a shame we couldnt boat the other one, i wasnt watching my mate fight it as i was concentrating on my one but my brother who was watching him said he was playing with his drag too much and free spooled the reel for 5 secs and then suddenly full draged it. If thats the case it was probably angler error that we didnt boat the second one.

:05:

Great work Netic,top fish

Whats wrong with your mate in the orange top in one

of the photos,was it he that lost the other YF,or is

he just sea sick,he looks real crook

Mate thats my bro and i think the camera just took the pic at the wrong time, he was fine all day, seems both him and my other mate were both looking at something down there

A real nice fin and should be a real treat however you cook it.

Netic, can I ask what type of boat and size you fished from to go to Browns Mountain

Cheers

Martin

Mate we go in a Stacer 575 easyrider bowrider fitted with removalable outriggers.