How Long Do You Spend

Martin

My wife (of all people a female) tells me I take to long to get ready for a fishing trip and take to long to clean the boat at the end of the day.

Before a fishing trip I would spend at least 2 hours getting ready rigging the rods, getting food and drink ready, loading and hooking up the boat etc. So I do all this the night before.

At the end of the day to un pack, clean the rods, flush the motor and wash the boat I would spend another hour and a half.

Is this over the top???????????

What to you do?

interesting topic.

I do almost all of the preparing of my boat, and that includes rigging rods..I would say a minimum 2 hours before(running motor, preparing food+drinks, filling up fuel tanks, rigging rods, preparing bait, making a good burley(usualy a 10litre bucket full of stale bread) and doing the usualy check ups on the trailer like checking pressure in tyres, tightening the strap, checking the lights are working ect..

When i get home it depends how dirty the boat is to determine how long or how much i clean it, but on a average trip its a 10min f :wacko: lush, and 10-20min washing down rods and deck and cleaning fish(if i got any :wacko:

Oh and i also double check the bungs are in (the story is for another time :mad3: )

You're not alone, Martin. The night before, I spend just as long (perhaps longer - I do it in front of the TV and time gets away from me :074: ) preparing my gear for the next day. Packing up takes just as long.

Flattieman.

Freaks, all of you! :) 30min preparation, 30min clean up to flush motor, pack away and chuck the rods in the garage, but then again, its a small boat with minimal gear.

i spend all night gathering and prepping my gear before a trip out...

rigging up, tying and re-tying traces, knots, lures and such till they are perfect.

re-spool some of my rigs if the line is looking worse for wear

tidy up my tackle

may go and grab the bait the night before depends if we need it fresh

get the burley

watch some fishin DVD's to get in the mood

call up whoever im goin out with and discuss tactics

by this time its around 1am and im so pumped i cant sleep :074:

:dito: that for me! (Jeez Chris, we spend too much time thinking about fishing :074: ).

Flattieman.

My :wife: just laughed when I read her this topic, this is a constant bug bear of hers as I take 1/2 a day to get ready, a day on the water and then 1/2 a day cleaning & packing away. At least everytime I head back out my boat and gear are like brand new. :thumbup:

Maybe we should get each of our wives to write a post of this site?? Whos willing??

Edited by AO7474

I spend way too much time getting ready

at least 3 hours the night before

Tying about 8 leader rigs so if the kings, Dollies are on the bite hard and they swallow the hook i don't have to stuff around remove it, just snap swivel a new rig on.

About 20 minutes to decide tactics and which jigs i will use for squidding.

redo all the knots on my rods

check that everything is fine on the boat

When i get back it takes me around 30 minutes to clean the boat and gear if i have made a close to shore trip

If i have made a browns trip it takes me hours, cleaning all the skirts, tackle box, minnows and emptying all the gear.

But i love it, getting pumped just thinking about it

Hmmmmm I love this topic too :074::074::074:

Hours and hours of preparation before and after, cleaning the boat AND washing AND vacuuming the car!

Choosing what cd's to take, make sure there is sunscreen and hats, make sure the small bucket is stowed (please don't make me tell you just what that is for, the women will know :biggrin2: )

Don't forget the time spent looking at the digital pics and filing them away, resizing some to be posted on FR :thumbup:

Have to agree with Big Banana - more time spent sometimes on preparation and cleaning.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

I spend a 1 -2 Hours getting ready but most of the time I spend is Cleaning Can't help myself

Ialways leave the boat out side to dry before pushing it back in the garage

:tease:

Today I found a lost leather jacket from Saturday Wasn't too hard to find from the Smell of death in the garage :1prop::1prop:

Edited by Wetpatch

Some of you guys make me look bad , i spend between 30minutes to an hour to get ready and about 30 to 45mins cleaning and packing up once home!

and you call yourself a fisherman :074::074::074:

wait till you hear what Sea Jay goes through :wacko:

i spend all night gathering and prepping my gear before a trip out...

rigging up, tying and re-tying traces, knots, lures and such till they are perfect.

re-spool some of my rigs if the line is looking worse for wear

tidy up my tackle

may go and grab the bait the night before depends if we need it fresh

get the burley

watch some fishin DVD's to get in the mood

call up whoever im goin out with and discuss tactics

by this time its around 1am and im so pumped i cant sleep :074:

ready to rock by 0430 and away we go

CFD

:074::074:

that's exactly what I am like,Coollagirl reckons I am like a big kid just before Christmas

for a big trip ... i will spend 2 days getting ready, buying shit, testing it

Hey man, what do you use the shit for, and how do you test it? :074::074::074: Sorry, that was childish but i couldnt resist...

Im about an hour before and after. But i can understand how others could spend much more, since i dont go outside and have light gear mostly. Before a fishing holiday i can spend heaps of time along similar lines to you guys. I recon that the preparation is part of the adventure like Chris is saying :-)

basically as mentioned b4 i just love going into the shed making rigs and sinkers pulling apart reels having all my gear ready i often buy a box of 50 10/0 hooks and rigg the whole box up while watching tv the misses hates the snippets of leader i leave around..... all rods washed as soon as i get home lite spray as for packing boat i leave everything except the rods tackle box and valuable electrics in boat washing the bugger is the prob as it takes a while i always give a good hose out and flush never timed it but 1hr each way i reckon nothing worse than forgetn something

10 minutes dragging gear out of the garage and throwing it on the floor of the boat

go fish for 12 hours

10 minutes to take gear out of the boat and throw it in the garage (or house)

10 minutes flushing motor

$5 the next day to get the number 2 daughter to wash the boat with a bucket and sponge (with me ocasionally joining in for a wet sponge fight)

yes i know i'm lazy but come on,,,,, we call it a sport when we spend most of the time sitting on our arses talking crap and drinking beer :1prop:

It’s good to hear guys because when I said 2 hours (should be more like 3) to get ready and 1.5 hours to clean up I was conservative and worried I was over the top.

So I can tell the wife I am normal

Must say it would be a lot easier if the boat was much bigger and berthed in a pen at a Marina, then I could walk on and off no unpacking and packing and everything stays on the boat. Are you listening dear?

Cheers

Wow, good question...

If i am going fishing on the weekend i will spend thursday night doing a stock take of my tackle box, then i will spend a few hours on friday running around getting hooks, sinkers, trace, lures, drinks, chips etc... Friday night will see me lay everything out in the garage, rods, gaff and net, tackle bags, sounder, GPS blah blah. Then i will spend time making up a few rigs, setting drags..i'll make some rolls for lunch and i'll usually rig up one rod with a shiny lure of some sort in preparedness for a tailor or salmon bust up when we leave the boat ramp.... Saturday morning i'll be up an hour prior to arriving at the ramp, which gives CFD and i 30 minutes to throw everything into the boat, throw it on the back of the car and head to the bait shop...

Cleaning up usually takes an hour and a half, we empty the boat, wash all the gear and leave it to dry while we flush the motor and wash the boat inside and out.. once we are done i might spend an hour cleaning my rods and reels, and tidying my tackle box...

This thread has shown us all something

Each time i read someone's post i can tell they wrote the post with pride and you can feel the emotion in it.

To me preparing to go fishing and the anti cipation of going fishing is one of the best parts if not the best part.

When we were kids we played with GiJoes and matchbox cars.

Now as adults we love playing with our lures, Hooks, Rods and reels.

You know your a nut when you look forward to rigging up on a friday night cause you get to play with your toys.

i take about an hour or so checking that i have everythin g by the front door to throw straight on the boat for when i leave such as rods are all set up right and the tackle box with everything i could imagine.like preparing a suitcase before you travel overseas hahah

then make sure i have bait and burley all ready for the morning and make sure i have my travalcalm originals hehe

then i got to bed not being able to sleep coz i these thoughts go through my head of catching fish and reeling them in ,so by the time i eventually fall asleep its around 4am and then i gotta woke an hour or so later ,so obviously im dead tired but i still go no matter wat.

after i come home i clean my rods ,pass the catch to the inlaw to clean and flush the motor on the boat and clean it which would take about 30 mins then i catch up on my sleep zzzzZZZZZzzzzZZZZzz