Waveriders?

ACZ

Payed a visit to the Wave Bouy off Bondi last season. As netic said it doesn't seem to hold a great number off Dollies. On that day I managed about two and they weren't of any great size, probably the smallest dolphin fish I've seen in quite a while but still fun.

I don't have the co-ordinates for it but it is visible off Bondi beach.

Sorry I couldn't be much help mate but i'll ask around see if I can get them

cheers

Steve

Kabz the waverider off portkembla is roughly 9ks out in 82 metres of water but there is also another one about 2ks out but that would not hold any dollies. If the Bondi one can be seen from the beach I doubt very much that it would hold any dollies at all.

Cheers

how far from the heads is the bondi waverider and does anyone kno how far from the islands port kembla one is caz they dun say on the website

Thankz

Kabz

If you are going to fish around port kembla for dollies this year i wouldn't be worrying about the waveriders,there are two good fads to check out.One off port kembla and the other is about 12kms out in between shellharbour and kiama,they aren't there yet but i'm told it wont be long before there put back.Keep an eye on the fisheries web site they put the gps marks on there when they have been put back,i caught heaps of dollies at both these locations.

Kabs I do not like the idea of you going out there in that size boat, most of the time the water is not the best and there is so much good fishing in close especially for kings that you don't need to take risks!!

Cheers

yeah i agree...

the one off bondi you cant really miss..

i usually fish off sydney harbour i just go for a troll around south head and head south for 3-4 kms

i then go about 3 kms offshore and i see it... its huge

usually holds little kings and leather jackets.

havent had success there in prime dollies season.

By the way has anyone got a dolly off sydney recently?

Kabz I really don't want to dissappoint you mate but there is no way you will ever catch a dolly off the waverider 2ks offshore the water is not clean enough for a dollie to come in that close but hey miracles have happened in the past. Lewis some time ago caught a spotted mackeral, the capture in itself is no miracle but when he caught it is, in the end of winter. Don't worry mate as I said plenty of good fishing there if you don't have one invest in a burley bucket and that should see you plenty of fish. That waverider should be straight out of portkembla and keep to the left a little bit and you will see it.

Cheers

Went out to Manly Wave Rider today Sat 14th Oct and it is there all brand new. It was holding some small kings and a couple of huge ones made an appearance., they stuck right in under Bouy. Would not take anything we threw at them even livies. Wind came up but stuck it out for 1 1/2 hours for no go.

Went out to Manly Wave Rider today Sat 14th Oct and it is there all brand new. It was holding some small kings and a couple of huge ones made an appearance., they stuck right in under Bouy. Would not take anything we threw at them even livies. Wind came up but stuck it out for 1 1/2 hours for no go.

how far is that one and what was the water temp ....

pleeeaaaassee

excuse my ignorance, what is a wave rider? and whats the difference between wave rider and FAD?

Mate waveriders are simalar to channell markers that certain labs use to monitor wind, wave heights, current speeds etc. They also act as Fish Attracting devices ( FAD) .

A Fad is anything that is use to attract fish, although with waveriders there main purpose is not to attract fish.

Mahi Mahi or Dolphin fish will gather around any floating object, Being a marker Buoy or Waverider or even a floating peice of debris.

The FADS that you here people refering on this site are Marker buoys put their by fisheries for the main purpose of attracting fish like Dolphin Fish for Rec anglers.

There are a few Waveriders placed off sydney which help with Forecasts, Research etc, these are also visited by anglers in search of Dolphin fish.

Edited by netic