Hawkesbury 16/10/06

inhlanzi

G'day Raiders

Went out for the afternoon high tide on me mates boat for some serious Jewie fishing.

Had some great baits and 6 rods out between the two of us. Zip nothing ( just a small blerta ) buggerall

Had Juno all to our selves and not even a nibble...

Getting dark wind picks up and time to go home...start the engine and clik...nothing. Call my mate who is an outboard mechanic and we go through various things but it seems the battery is dead flat...

Luckily my mate is a member of Sea-Tow!!!!

So we give Sea-Tow a call and 40 minutes later we see that fantastic site of their Yellow vessel coming over from Lion Island way. They quickley hooked us up and in no time we were back at Parsley Bay.

To the Broken Bay Sea-Tow team of Brad and Diane thanks a lot for the rescue. You are a very professional outfit.

I have been a fence sitter for a while as regards joining Sea-Tow but I will be joining tomorrow. For $135 a year it is very well worth it.

Raiders I can highly recommend this service for peace of mind and safety.

Sadly no Jewies today but a few really good lessons learned.

Cheers

inhanzi

not good at all mate.

when in the river you can call hawkesbury river rescue who are a volunteer organisation, so they welcome donations.

but they are great and if you are not a member of sea tow i guess thats your other option.

how is his boat anyway?

no major damage?

Edited by James

Was only a few weeks ago that I had a flat battery at Bluefish. Luckily 2 very friendly people eventually towed me back to Tunks Pk.

Have not got Sea Tow on board yet, but I certainly will!!

Better safe than sorry!!

Bloo

When you are on the water you need all the insurance you can get. I am a member of Sea Tow, Sydney Coast guard and Coastal Patrol. Sea Tow are great as you have 24/7 access.I carry a spare battery and an auxillary motor! Hopfully I will never need the services of these guys but better to be prepared than be sorry. Cheers Kelvin

Sorry to hear you had poor luck with the fishing and battery.

Assume there was three of you on board if you had six rods out - if not might be worth checking regs before next trip - don't want to have a bad day with the fisheries inspectors as well - pretty sure its 2 lines per fisher in salt.

Hope you have more joy next time - think it is partly a matter of hours on the water with jew. As for batteries - a spares never a bad option.

Assume there was three of you on board if you had six rods out - if not might be worth checking regs before next trip - don't want to have a bad day with the fisheries inspectors as well - pretty sure its 2 lines per fisher in salt.

The guide at http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pd...ide_2005-06.pdf says 4 lines per fisher (page 14).

For those of you who are not sure of the rules here they are:

Gear and Tackle Restrictions

In order to preserve fish stocks and allow all fishers the opportunity to catch decent fish, fishing regulations specify the type andamount of tackle or gear you can use while fishing along the NSW coastline. Different rules and regulations apply for freshwater fishing and you should refer to the NSW Freshwater Recreational Fishing Guide. Use common sense when placing your set fishing gear. Do not set gear in areas of high boat traffic or navigation channels. To minimise the risk of entanglement by people or boats, any buoy rope used to mark set fishing gear must be as short as practical and preferably weighted below the surface. Fisheries Officers may shorten ropes they believe to be a hazard.

LINE FISHING

* No more than four rods or lines can be used or set by any one person at any one time.

* If any of these rods or lines are left unattended, they must be clearly and securely tagged with the fisher’s name and address or boat registration number.

* No more than three hooks or three gangs of hooks can be attached per line. (A gang of hooks should have no more than five hooks.)

* One line may have six single hooks with a lure attached to be used by the method of hand jigging only.

* No more than three treble hooks can be attached to a lure.

* Jagging (hooking, or attempting to hook, fish other than through the mouth) is illegal.

* Drift lines are banned. Lines must be held in the hand or fixed to a boat or the shore.

cheers

inhlanzi

thought it was 4.

whether im on my own or got people on the boat we normally have a max of 4 rods fishing on the boat

I tested this on Thursday on the Hawkesbury. The DPI boat with 2 officers pulled alongside while i had 4 very obvious rods in use. They didn't comment on the lines - they were more interested in why I didn't have any catch to inspect. I noticed one of the officers was eyeballing my boat fairly intensively - I guess this is probably a good thing although it sort of felt like a privacy invasion.

I'm assuming this was the DPI's "flying squad" based out of Brooklyn? Is it inappropriate to point out that one of the fisheries officers is a cute chick? I was tempted to find at least one rule I could break then and there ;) I want to know if she's the good cop or the bad cop ;)

I tested this on Thursday on the Hawkesbury. The DPI boat with 2 officers pulled alongside while i had 4 very obvious rods in use. They didn't comment on the lines - they were more interested in why I didn't have any catch to inspect. I noticed one of the officers was eyeballing my boat fairly intensively - I guess this is probably a good thing although it sort of felt like a privacy invasion.

I'm assuming this was the DPI's "flying squad" based out of Brooklyn? Is it inappropriate to point out that one of the fisheries officers is a cute chick? I was tempted to find at least one rule I could break then and there ;) I want to know if she's the good cop or the bad cop ;)

The female fisheries officers do a great job, as women ALWAYS do :biggrin2:

At our Entrance social this year, raiders met up with a few of them, see pic below (two ladies on extreme right)

post-869-1161392727_thumb.jpg

G'day Raiders

Went out for the afternoon high tide on me mates boat for some serious Jewie fishing.

Had some great baits and 6 rods out between the two of us. Zip nothing ( just a small blerta ) buggerall

Had Juno all to our selves and not even a nibble...

Getting dark wind picks up and time to go home...start the engine and clik...nothing. Call my mate who is an outboard mechanic and we go through various things but it seems the battery is dead flat...

Luckily my mate is a member of Sea-Tow!!!!

So we give Sea-Tow a call and 40 minutes later we see that fantastic site of their Yellow vessel coming over from Lion Island way. They quickley hooked us up and in no time we were back at Parsley Bay.

To the Broken Bay Sea-Tow team of Brad and Diane thanks a lot for the rescue. You are a very professional outfit.

I have been a fence sitter for a while as regards joining Sea-Tow but I will be joining tomorrow. For $135 a year it is very well worth it.

Raiders I can highly recommend this service for peace of mind and safety.

Sadly no Jewies today but a few really good lessons learned.

Cheers

inhanzi

mate it sounds like you and james have alot in commen.bad luck with the jewies,i'm yet to catch one this season but im heading out this weekend and i've got a preety good feeling. fingers crossed

mate it sounds like you and james have alot in commen.bad luck with the jewies,i'm yet to catch one this season but im heading out this weekend and i've got a preety good feeling. fingers crossed

you got a good feeling because your coming with me