Fish Finders/sounders/gps

big_steve

hey guys,

its come to the time that i wanna purchase a new fish finder...

my 1 is a humminbird 250dx and its REALLY basic and quite SH++

what do u guys recommend i should look at??

im willing to spend around $500-$800

any thoughts on a lowrance x102c???

thanks in advancd fellas

cheers steve :1fishing1:

Hey Steve, if you are interested in downrigging or just want a good sounder you GOTTA have a dual frequency sounder!!! THe XC102C is only a single frequency.

I am also anti Lowrance as a lot of other raiders will be aware. I can't figure these sounders out and can't make out the details as well as other brands. Most of the time the surface clutter on these units makes it impossible to distinguish between a fish sitting on a mooring or plankton!

There are black and white furuno units for $500-600 with dual freq that you can look into. My own unit which is a Garmin gps/sounder is available as a sounder only for $7-800 in a smaller screen version or about $900 in the larger screen. These are great units for the price as I can distinguish fish/weed/downrigger/bait etc! Cheers Kelvin

My own unit which is a Garmin gps/sounder is available as a sounder only for $7-800 in a smaller screen version or about $900 in the larger screen. These are great units for the price as I can distinguish fish/weed/downrigger/bait etc! Cheers Kelvin

You quite right there mate. I am also running a garmin gps/sounder combo unit and the the performance is awesome :yahoo: . Huge transducer on these :1yikes: . I am running the gps 178

I got the same unit and it has been fantastic esepcially for the price. I think Netic is getting the same one but he is getting it cheaper than I have paid for it :1badmood: through the net. I think he is paying around$7-800!!! These things are not promoted like Lowrance but out perform them by a HUGE mile. I think the lack of marketing rubbish is keeping them relatively cheap. CHeers Kelvin

I got the same unit and it has been fantastic esepcially for the price. I think Netic is getting the same one but he is getting it cheaper than I have paid for it :1badmood: through the net. I think he is paying around$7-800!!! These things are not promoted like Lowrance but out perform them by a HUGE mile. I think the lack of marketing rubbish is keeping them relatively cheap. CHeers Kelvin

Kelvin, Have actually now purchased the Garmin, will have it within a week...have tried to message you but it says its full...you may have to clear out some of your msg's.....

At first I just turned it on and used it as is but once I got stuck into the manual I realised all the wicked things its capable of. I still need to get a proper map of the east coast for the unit

Netic

Thats a wicked price mate :thumbup: . Does that source do the maps for east coast as well

I have a lowrance 339 (3 months old) combo unit, and i must say i am a bit disapointed with the sounder features - lots of noise etc.

In the new year may look at a change and just use the lowarance as a gps unit - go with the garmin!

Edited by Aron

Saqa, i got the Garmin 178c with the 4.5 inch screen and a dual tranasducer for $700 AU delivered here, Only downside is that it's a US unit so it comes with 2 years warranty but i have to send it back to the States

Here is the site

Garmin Supplier

Edited by netic

Saqa, i got the Garmin 178c with the 4.5 inch screen and a dual tranasducer for $700 AU delivered here, Only downside is that it's a US unit so it comes with 2 years warranty but i have to send it back to the States

Here is the site

Garmin Supplier

awesome deal oz sounds the goods mate..

im thinking i might have to up the price and do similar to what uve done i think..

will u be installing urs of will u take it somewhere??

cheers stevo

awesome deal oz sounds the goods mate..

im thinking i might have to up the price and do similar to what uve done i think..

will u be installing urs of will u take it somewhere??

cheers stevo

I will install it myself, i have now watched a few DVDs in regards to Transducer placement etc so i can do that no sweat, the wiring is very basic so it should be very easy

Mate i sold my 250dx recently on ebay, i got $265 for it........i thought i would only get $100......Whack yours on there and it will help with some of the costs for the new unit

Edited by netic

Kelvin, Have actually now purchased the Garmin, will have it within a week...have tried to message you but it says its full...you may have to clear out some of your msg's.....

My message bank is cleared. I am sure you will be happy with your unit. It will work great to about 100meters depth. The maps are freely available. I got one with the whole east coat of australia on it. Pretty detailed. I have found a few fishing spots just looking at the map.

I'll save my settings so you can have a go at it. It really is a neat unit.

I have a lowrance 339 (3 months old) combo unit, and i must say i am a bit disapointed with the sounder features - lots of noise etc.

In the new year may look at a change and just use the lowarance as a gps unit - go with the garmin!

I too am disappointed with Lowrance. tThe amount of noise you get is astronomical!!!! You lower the gain and then you can't see the fish. When you up it ...you get noise and can't see the fish!!! You can't win either way.

The pro fishermen do not use this brand! I guess it is very clever marketing and endorsements. I read a few books on lowrance fish finders and gps's. The authors rave on about how good this sounder is and what it can do. For a while I swallowed this hook line and sinker and thought the whole universe revolved around Lowrance. I tell ya, my Garmin does EVERYTHING the lowrance does but does it WAAAY better and CHEAPER!!!!

You can see the fish, bottom, bait..etc. IT is fully manually adjustable if you want it and it aint so bad even in auto. I have now owned 4 sounders and this is the most reliable and effective unit I have owned. Every Lowrance I have owned couldn't stand up to salt water use. The cables leaked, the transducers died, even the screen fogged up!!! When it was supposed to be water proof. Disappointment is not the word.

I guess we learn from mistakes...no lowrance ever again! CHeers Kelvin

bit out of your price range but i find my raymarine a65 is a piece of equipment

I am looking at the raymarine as well for my new boat. How deep can you sound with this unit? Raymarine have such great clearly distinguishable displays and great target separation!!!

I am also looking at furuno 7000f. Cost a lot more than the raymarine but exceptional performance....will like to see how it compares with the Raymarine! Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

I was very close to buying the Lowrance 339 , but after reading the comments here I'm now having second thoughts and am considering getting the garmin 178 instead.

The Lowrance has a bigger screen and more pixels. 480 x 480 and a 5 inch screen, compared to garmins 320 x 320 and 4.5 inch screen.

I always thought more pixels relates to more detail, but I could be wrong.

The Lowrance has output watts of 300/500 while the Garmin has 400/500.

Sow which is more important more pixels or more output ??

With today's sounder equipment pixel count really doesn't come into the picture. Unless you are buying stuff at the extreme lower end of the market, you won't get leggo like pictures on your sounder.

Also the sounders with more or less power doesn't really come into the equation if you are fishing in relatively shallow water...i.e 50m or less. Even if your unit has more watts, you'll need the transducer to fully exploit the added power. No good if you have 1000watts but the transducer can only send out 400!

I think the most important part of the sounder is its software as the way it interprets the signals will determine what you see on the screen. Also the little things like cables being salt water proof...etc. The garmin comes with a HUGE transducer and I have bashed it against rocks, scraped it on sand....etc and it still works great. Designed for salt water from day one unlike "other " brands which are predominantly for freshwater use and adopted for salt water.

I don't want to harp on about my anti lowrance feelings but for me they do not work. Neither the soft ware or the hardware. I know lots of people swear by them but there are other sounders out there which have a completely different philosphy.I have the same problems that Aron has. Horses for courses!

By the way the thing that determines ultimately the cost of a sounder is its screen size. Cheers Kelvin

I bought the Lowrance LMS339 and i am totally satisfied with it, having used a garmin on my previous boat, i had a look at the garmin colour unit and wasn't fussed by the screen or the graphics. As with any piece of electronics, it must be installed correctly to fuction at it full capacity. i thought the grapics of the Lowrance were far superior, and the detail with the Navionics Gold map absolutley shits all over the garmin blue maps...

You need to READ THE MANUAL!!!!! otherwise you will not be able to operate the device, let alone get the best performance from it, learn how to set it up so you can get the information you are looking for, be it the bottom density in 700 feet of water or kingfish hanging from a mooring line.

Thanks Kelvin.

I’m upgrading from a low end Lowrance so either would be much better.

Sam, did you end up getting yours local or from O/S ??

Both units are similar priced here, but I’ve found the Lowrance for $900 AUD and the garmin for $700AUD (thanks Netic) from the US.

Thanks Kelvin.

I'm upgrading from a low end Lowrance so either would be much better.

Sam, did you end up getting yours local or from O/S ??

Both units are similar priced here, but I've found the Lowrance for $900 AUD and the garmin for $700AUD (thanks Netic) from the US.

i purchased my Lowrance locally for $1100 with full warranty and support

Fellas the only other sounder i was considering was the Eagle SeaCharter 640C which is pretty much the same sounder as the lowrance 337 ( same factory produces them) but the eagle has 680 by 480 pixels, even better then the lowrance, both units look identical same buttons and design but one has a better pixel rate.

The eagle can be purchased for $890 au

Eagle Finder

Lowrance Finder

Peking Duck, mate no US retailer will send the lowrance to Australia anymore, what you have to do is have the unit sent to a US adress then sent from there to Aus.

Peking Duck, mate no US retailer will send the lowrance to Australia anymore, what you have to do is have the unit sent to a US adress then sent from there to Aus.

I recently purchased a Lowrance X125 Depth sounder from the states. I bought it through Ebay so that may be the way around the US retailer situation.

Overall compared to one of the cheapest Aust. retailer I got it 10% cheaper from the states, (incl postage)

If I had the time over again I prob would of bought it locally, but my price comparisons were done on a 2004 catalogue price, saving me 25%, thats why I sourced it overseas.

Havent tested it out yet but I cant wait. Ive read up the manual on all the different settings/programs following advice from namesay and co, to get the sounder running at its best :thumbup:

I bought the Lowrance LMS339 and i am totally satisfied with it, having used a garmin on my previous boat, i had a look at the garmin colour unit and wasn't fussed by the screen or the graphics. As with any piece of electronics, it must be installed correctly to fuction at it full capacity. i thought the grapics of the Lowrance were far superior, and the detail with the Navionics Gold map absolutley shits all over the garmin blue maps...

You need to READ THE MANUAL!!!!! otherwise you will not be able to operate the device, let alone get the best performance from it, learn how to set it up so you can get the information you are looking for, be it the bottom density in 700 feet of water or kingfish hanging from a mooring line.

read the manual 3 times - watched the video (Rick Huckstepp's How to ..... use lowrance depth sounders) Read the book (depth sounder secrets)

I have absolutely no problems with the maping/gps side of the unit - only have noise issues.

I have read somewhere that the combonation of an alloy boat with a 4 stroke motor does effect the interferance of the sounder.

Thats why i pm'ed you Sammy as you have the same - to see how you find your sounder

It may just be a case of fine tuning and adjustments - but i have read and followed the manual regarding instalation.

Fellas the only other sounder i was considering was the Eagle SeaCharter 640C which is pretty much the same sounder as the lowrance 337 ( same factory produces them) but the eagle has 680 by 480 pixels, even better then the lowrance, both units look identical same buttons and design but one has a better pixel rate.

The eagle can be purchased for $890 au

Eagle Finder

Lowrance Finder

Hi Oz,

i asked the same question... The eagles have a better pixel rate, but the Lowrance have more power output.

pekingduck, see PM