Who Has One?

Luringbream

Gday all, just after a bit of help on purchasing a new sounder. After a poor feedback on the Garmin 160C ive decided to turn to humminbird. This sounder is on the lower end of the scale and i have a budget of $4-500 at max. I dont really know much about sounders however im looking for one that tells temp, is dual beam, is GPS compatible and tells speed. This is the best i could come up with.

Just wondering if anyone has one, what they think of it and if its a good buy?

Also if theres any better alternatives that one may know of, please let me know.

Here are the specs and pic..

Matrix 17x -

post-331-1165911777_thumb.jpg

Key Features:

• 127mm Very High Resolution 320V x 320H LCD with UltraBlack™ Pixel Technology and Clear Edge Inverse Grayscale for sharper images of fish and structure.

• Wide Coverage Dual Beam PLUS™ combines a 60° Wide Beam for more bottom coverage and 20° Narrow Beam for better structure definition.

• Get the extra edge with Fishing System add-ons including the Matrix-SmartCast Wireless Sonar Link, WeatherSense™ Barometric Pressure Monitor, and GPS Receiver to access the built-in trackplotting and navigation capabilites.

• Accelerated Real Time Sonar operates at up to 40 times per second to capture the action under the boat and instantly display it on-screen.

• Freeze Frame pauses the sonar scroll for detailed inspection of the screen; plus, new Instant Image Update immediately shows the results of setting changes for the most accurate fine tuning.

• Sonar Echo Enhancement™ Technology is so sensitive it'll track a small jig to over 12m

Additional Features

• Selectable 2x, 4x, 6x and 8x Zoom Levels

• Large Digits View Option for Easy to Read Numeric Display

• Microdynamic Transducer for Reliable Readings up to 70 MPH*.

• Triplog with Distance, Elapsed Time, and Average Speed (when Speed is Connected)

• Totally Automatic or Manual Operation with Upper and Lower Range Control

• Depth Alarm, Fish Alarm and Battery Voltage Monitor with Alarm

• Adjustable Chart Speed with Ultra Setting

• Feature Memory Retains Unit Settings

• Selectable Bottom View - Choose Whileline, Inverse, Bottom Black or Traditional Structure ID.

Specifications

Add-on Accessory Capability:

Temperature Included, GPS Receiver, Matrix-SmartCast Wireless Sonar Link, WeatherSense Barometric Pressure & Speed Capable

Depth Capability: 300m

Display Window Size: 127mm Diagonal

Display Matrix: 320V x 320H

Display Type: 12 Level Grayscale High Contrast FSTN LCD

Power Output: 300 Watts (RMS), 2400 Watts (Peak to Peak)

Operating Frequency: 200kHz & 83 kHz

Sonar Coverage: 20° & 60° @ -10db

Target Separation: 63mm

Transducer: Inside Hull or Transom Mount

Power Input Range: 10-20 VDC

Mounting: Tilt & Swivel Quick Connect Mount System

Unit Size:

Installed: 178 H x 185 W x 105 D; Head: 150 H x 185 W x 45 D

Optional GPS Features 750 Waypoints, 10 Tracks with 700 Points Each.

Any help is greatly appreciated..

DAN

Gday all, just after a bit of help on purchasing a new sounder. After a poor feedback on the Garmin 160C ive decided to turn to humminbird. This sounder is on the lower end of the scale and i have a budget of $4-500 at max. I dont really know much about sounders however im looking for one that tells temp, is dual beam, is GPS compatible and tells speed. This is the best i could come up with.

Dont know the ins and outs but on the boat we have a Lowrance model which has a colour screen, customisable split screens and you can buy detailed maps of the east and west coasts of Austraia.

http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/

Also if theres any better alternatives that one may know of, please let me know.

Here are the specs and pic..

Matrix 17x -

post-331-1165911777_thumb.jpg

Key Features:

• 127mm Very High Resolution 320V x 320H LCD with UltraBlack™ Pixel Technology and Clear Edge Inverse Grayscale for sharper images of fish and structure.

• Wide Coverage Dual Beam PLUS™ combines a 60° Wide Beam for more bottom coverage and 20° Narrow Beam for better structure definition.

• Get the extra edge with Fishing System add-ons including the Matrix-SmartCast Wireless Sonar Link, WeatherSense™ Barometric Pressure Monitor, and GPS Receiver to access the built-in trackplotting and navigation capabilites.

• Accelerated Real Time Sonar operates at up to 40 times per second to capture the action under the boat and instantly display it on-screen.

• Freeze Frame pauses the sonar scroll for detailed inspection of the screen; plus, new Instant Image Update immediately shows the results of setting changes for the most accurate fine tuning.

• Sonar Echo Enhancement™ Technology is so sensitive it'll track a small jig to over 12m

Additional Features

• Selectable 2x, 4x, 6x and 8x Zoom Levels

• Large Digits View Option for Easy to Read Numeric Display

• Microdynamic Transducer for Reliable Readings up to 70 MPH*.

• Triplog with Distance, Elapsed Time, and Average Speed (when Speed is Connected)

• Totally Automatic or Manual Operation with Upper and Lower Range Control

• Depth Alarm, Fish Alarm and Battery Voltage Monitor with Alarm

• Adjustable Chart Speed with Ultra Setting

• Feature Memory Retains Unit Settings

• Selectable Bottom View - Choose Whileline, Inverse, Bottom Black or Traditional Structure ID.

Specifications

Add-on Accessory Capability:

Temperature Included, GPS Receiver, Matrix-SmartCast Wireless Sonar Link, WeatherSense Barometric Pressure & Speed Capable

Depth Capability: 300m

Display Window Size: 127mm Diagonal

Display Matrix: 320V x 320H

Display Type: 12 Level Grayscale High Contrast FSTN LCD

Power Output: 300 Watts (RMS), 2400 Watts (Peak to Peak)

Operating Frequency: 200kHz & 83 kHz

Sonar Coverage: 20° & 60° @ -10db

Target Separation: 63mm

Transducer: Inside Hull or Transom Mount

Power Input Range: 10-20 VDC

Mounting: Tilt & Swivel Quick Connect Mount System

Unit Size:

Installed: 178 H x 185 W x 105 D; Head: 150 H x 185 W x 45 D

Optional GPS Features 750 Waypoints, 10 Tracks with 700 Points Each.

Any help is greatly appreciated..

DAN

Mate i use to have one and wasnt very happy with it, i recommend you look at some other models

You can get a raymarine 400dx for around $500...colour, powerful, Speed, Temp.....good sounder

Guest Big-Banana

Furuno is the best you can buy. With sounders, you're definitely better off being patient and buying something quality the first time around.

Furuno's are a great sounder, used by most charters.

Brands Like raymarine and Furuno are seen as a more industrial brand where as Humminbird is more a Recreational brand

YOu can get a Furuno 4100 or 6100 which is relatively cheap

ive been looking for a couple of sounders recently and had a look at the furunos

any idea on the price of the ones that can sound schools of fish, reefs etc ? (not sure if all can do that or not havn't bought a sounder in a very long time )

Furuno are a quality product BUT they do have some cheapies in the range like the Ls 4100 and 6100. These units are black and white and fairly low power and sell for around $500. However, as everyone here knows you get what you pay for and I would personally save up a few more dollars and get a higher quality unit.

Ray marine and Furuno make stuff dedicted for salt water. All the pros use them. Humminbird is OK but are aimed at the amateurs. They probably spend more money on advertising than on research but the higher end Humminbird are getting there. CHeers Kelvin

Hi Dan

I had a Matrix 17 on my old boat for about a year before I sold the boat. I was happy with it and would consider buying one again if that is where my budget was. The Furuno it competes with is the 4100, I think, and is of a similar price. The Matrix has a few more features.

I am considering buying a new sounder for my current boat and would be happy with either the Matrix 17 or the Furuno 4100 in that price range. I would most likely go against the current consensus and run with the Matrix 17 again as it has a few additional features and is good value.

I am a bit like yourself in I have a price range and want value for money. The Matrix was easy to use, dual beam and covered the fishing I did, Pittwater the Hawkesbury and the odd trip outside every now and then. I did not run with the speed option as I was happy with temp and depth,

Hope it works out for you

Cheers

Martin

I own a Humminbird 37X quad beam sounder and i find it extremely accurate. For a Black and white jobbie its a gr8 little unit. GPS compatible as well. I have had a cheaper Humminbird sounder in the past and was very unimpressed. These new sounders though are lightyears ahead of those old models. I purchased it purely for the quad beam feature as the water i fish is quite shallow so the 90 degree angle sonar covers alot more bottom.

I find it a good unit.

Guest Sea Jay

How you going mate i had a Matrix 37 and found that as soon as i got over 10 knots it wouldnt pick up the bottom at all, but the Navman that i had before would pick it up at most speeds, and the transducer where mounted in the same spot.

That was the only thing that i can remember

I've got a humminbird 787c2 and it has been great. It just depends on your budget. I certainly looked at the furuno's and raymarines before buying it and while they were good I still found the top end humminbird to be better than the lower end furuno's. Raymarine were just too expensive, the screen was not very flash on the furuno and the humminbird I bought is a combo unit with very fine detail and removable card for screenshots, plotting, gps marks ect. My one costs about $1500- $1700 depending on where you go. I reckon I would have needed to spend 3 grand for a furuno set up and if I had wanted to spend that much I probably would have got a furuno, they are good at this level.

Stallo

• 2 months later...

Thank god for this post!

After reading loads of others regarding humminbird sounders I was almost afraid to even look at them. But I eventually did & whilst everything I saw impressed me (Knowing zilch about sounders to start) I started getting a little turned on by the quad beam technology. But always in the back of my mind I remembered the posts & comments here & was again practically resigned to starting my search all over again. Now I think I might have a better look at the humminbirds.

I was looking at the 787c2 with GPS & quad beam. My price range was initially a little lower than this (I can get it locally for about $1250 from memory) but one thing I did heed was "You get what you pay for" I just hope I'm not paying too much.

One thing I have noticed is a perceved preference amoung the freshwater boys for humminbirds. Is this due to something I've overlooked in sounder technology? Afterall, I wanna use it in salt & fresh.

Now that you're really confused.

The old boat had a hummingbird wide eye and I really miss it.

New boat came with a navman. I hate it. Works ok but not as good as the old hummingbird.

I also bought a $199 hummingbird for the tinny and set it up in an old tackle box so it can be moved from boat to boat that works out well for me it can also be put on the canoe. I did put it on the new boat once to compare them - hummingbird won.

Can't wait to update and get a big screen with colour.