People Are Such D!ckheads

impulse

Just thought I'd vent here as I could only shout at these 3 d!ckheads as they went passed.

I took my family (mum, dad, better 1/2, and 4yo) out on the water in Botany Bay (La Perouse) yesterday for a morning of boating and swimming, a great day minus the pr!cks.

We left La Perouse just as the wind picked up and the peaks were starting to form as I had a young one and my parents. Then my misses said "look at this guy", I turned around and this absolute moron with this 2 d!ckhead mates passed within 5 m from us, he had the WHOLE BLOODY BAY TO PASS....... :1badmood::1badmood::1badmood::ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

It wasn't a small boat, I'd say about a 18" and as it was choppy from the NW he wasn't on a full plain so the wake was large to say the least.

Now I'm not a small guy coming in at 6'3 and over 100kg so if i could of reached over (almost could of) I would of ripped them a new one............ :ranting2:

I just hope you read this post so you can think of overs on the water and not just think of your-ignorant-thoughtless-****head-selves.

Edited by impulse

Hi Impulse

Sorry to hear about your incident - chances are the person in charge of the boat probably didn't even have a licence to drive it!

Good to hear that Forster isn't the only area that has 'inherited' the dorks!! I reckon they should station the Waterways boat at the entrance of the marina & check licences as people enter & exit the marina/ramp.

The only real solution is for Waterways to have extra people on the water over the Xmas and other holiday periods - or swear in 'honorary rangers' who would have the legal right to approach them & caution them, then dob them in to the Main authorities. A digital photo of the boat & captain would prove who was in charge.

Perhaps the more responsible boaties need to lobby the dpi/waterways by reporting every single incident they witness - if it saves one person's life or prevents them having head injuries or legs amputated, then it is worth the effort to phone them or email them.

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Doesnt this type of thing just drive you nuts ???!!??

Theres a few of this type up Brisbane Water way also who feel the necessity to cruise past within 10m when your fishing a nice quiet spot out of the way. Makes me want to scream and yell.... but then i try rationalise and remember that we cant stop idiots getting car licenses either.

There are some people over and over that deliberatly drive into our lines to cut them, whilist yelling racist comments.

Guys, if and when this type of stuff occurs get on to Eric Roozendaals office in Sydney, we had some issues in Lake Macquarie recently and he or his relevant member of staff put a rocket up the backsides of the local waterways guys. All parties were contacted and followed up on. Ideally try to get a photo or video but they will follow up verbal complaints.

As for the Racist behaviour RayHau, people like that dont deserve to live in Australia let alone be given a boat license, on the bright side hopefully the mono or braid has stuffed the prop shaft seal and they have been left with a stuffed gear casing.

GT

Yes it is disappointing when this happens and it can get real frustrating

when you operate your vessel in a safe manor.

you just need to be on the look out at all times even for larger craft(ferries/cats/ships)

Also people will probably stereo type people and

will have a comment along the lines

Ohh he must own a jetski thats why he done it

Unfortunately inconsiderate/careless/ignorant ppl will always be around :thumbdown:

The more I fish, the more frustrated I get with these guys that do the silliest things with scant regard for others. I cant even remember the last time I've been out and NOT seen someone do something that warrants some abuse!

Matt

Now, for the other side of the coin...

I have been out almost every day since Chrissie and I have seen some incredible acts of stupidity by fellow boaties, probably even had a blooper myself that I didn't notice for one reason or the other.

What I do remember is the one day last week at Tunks. Low tide, PISSING rain and the ramp is covered with slime and leaves. I backed the Ute down the ramp got out, ran over to the pontoon, got in the boat and drove her onto the trailer, as I approached the trailer a complete stranger walked over and hooked up the winch for me and winched the boat the next few feet up the trailer. I jumped off the front thanked him profusely, secured the boat and jumped into the Ute to drag her out.

I gave the old V8 a gentle nudge and let the hand brake off, she was going nowhere... the back wheels started spinning in the slime and mud, I was getting closer to the water not further away.

I repeated the process a couple of more times with the same result, every time getting closer to the water, I was convinced I was staying there until the ramp dried out or I had a Leyland brothers flash back and worked out how to use an inner tube as a winch..

I wasn't too stressed, people could still use the ramp and it was quiet by Tunks standards. I was about to "phone a friend" to see if he wouldn't mind downing tools to come and pull me out from the top of the ramp when I was approached by a guy who offered me a hand, then another guy shows up then another and another. In about five minutes I had four or five utter strangers offering assistance.

People I had never met before were getting small rocks to put under my wheels, another was sweeping me a clear path with his feet and picking up bigger slimy stuff, one gentleman offered the mats out of his car to put under the back tyres so I could get some traction. What a great bunch of people!

I eventually got towed out by a guy who un-hitched his boat from his truck in the rain and pulled me out with brute force. He could have easily ignored me and shot off up the hill but he chose not to.

We were chatting afterwards and he turned to me and said "mate you would have done the same for me".....Damn right I would have, as would have ninety nine percent of boaties!!

Cheers.

Robbie.

Robbielites,

Your right, there are those among us that would always lend a hand to help fellow boaties. On countless occasions I have helped and others have help me on/off the ramp, towed people back etc etc and I'm the first to thank them.

I hope that the majority of people out their have the courtesy to offer help but there are others that simply aren't worth the oxygen they breath and put peoples lives in danger.

I now there are countless stories of both good and bad but the bad (unfortunately) stand out as they generally put the people we love in danger.

And again if the guys who passed me within 5m read this I just hope its an eye opener to let you know that you don't own the water as its there for everyone to enjoy safely.

Hi Robbie

Really great to hear there are still some 'helpful' people out there, ready to offer assistance rather than abuse!! As he said - basically, what comes round goes round.

A tip that may prevent that problem in the future - my brother (for the last 30+ years) has used this method for removing his ski boat from numerous dodgey situations! You probably will only use it once a year, but it may help! It basically prevents your vehicle having its rear axle dunked in salt water or slipping on the extreme slippery part of the ramp, or worse still, even going backwards into the drink.

Your boat will need a folding front wheel (if it doesn't, get one!) Leave your car near the top of the ramp out of danger's way (on non-slip ground.) Attach a VERY sturdy rope/snatch rope securely from the towbar of your car to the front of your boat trailer. Make sure the front wheel of the trailer is pointing in the right direction. SLOWLY drive the car up the ramp, pulling the boat up some distance (usually 10ft would do it or at least to level ground.) Place a couple of chocks behind the rear tyres of the trailer if still on a slant, reverse the car back to the boat, remove the rope & attach the trailer to the car in the normal way. Drive & park the car & trailer. Retrieve the chocks.

Another way - with a lot of vehicles being front wheel drives, they have a towbar attachment on the front of the vehicle & find it more efficient to reverse the vehicle up the slope, towing the boat! The weight of the vehicle is then on the 'working' end, so works better!

Hope this may help someone in the future!~

Cheerio

Roberta

Yeah, I had a similar incident at lake MacQuarie last week. I was anchored 10 meters off the cardinal mark at Cardiff point when this clown in a 20ft sailer trailer decided that he need to drive between me and the marker. He was that close I could've slapped him on the back of the head as he passed.

And, on the other side as Rob mentioned, a few months ago I was in the Hawkesbury heading back to Berrowra when a saw a bowrider with 3 kids and 1 guy waving furiously, I wasn't the only boat on the water but the only one that went over to help, They had run out of fuel, it was 35 degrees they had no canopy and the oldest child was about 12. Towed them back to the ramp, probably added 30 mins to my trip but I hope if I needed help someone could spare 30 mins of their day to help me.

Over Christmas while at Forster i was sitting back while drifting, a couple of lines out, lying back in the lounge area of my bowrider when this idiot zoomed past us - picked up my line zzzzzzzzzzzzzz off the reel - i stand up and watch as this fool motors off with line still peeling waiting for it to snap.

Couple of seconds pass, i see him turn and look at his motor as his boat has stopped. :074::074: He then looked around and back to us once he had realised what had happened.

He was now drifting straight into a sandy island while trying to untangle line sinker & gang hooks off his prop - guess next time he will allow more room.

Hey guys,

Great story robbie

I have to admit i have probably been a dickhead myself now and then without realising it, but my boat is only 4.75m so it doesnt leave a very large wake, sometimes you do get caught up with being on the water and dont take enough notice of others on the water.....

All that said i do remember one day i pulled up to rose bay ramp, there was a que of around 15 boats and i wandered down to see what was happening, i saw 2 old blokes trying to get there boat out and not succeding at all, in fact there were going deeper every attempt.

Now these blokes couldnt speak english and nobody was offering to help them, infact there was a few guys even laughing at them.

Really pissed me off, i went down to try and help but they just couldnt get any traction due to there car being a ute and being far too light at the back wheels.

I went back to my car, took my boat off grabbed my anchor rope and then tied it to my towbar and pulled him out.......

I was amazed how rude the sons of bit..ches were at the ramp and didnt wanna help and as mentioned were making a joke out of it....

Now those guys are the real dickheads...

I have since seen those old blokes on the water a few times and evertime they wave hello and thank me...

ONe thing i can say is always help anybody out because one day it will happen to you and all you can do is hope sombody helps you.

Most times when launching the boat I do it at port kembla god knows how many times I have helped out someone but by the same token many times I have been helped as well especially when it is very windy and trying to retrieve the boat on the trailer and your on your own something I do pretty often. Anyhow the crowd down there deserve the :thumbup:

Whilst up at SWR this year

i came in to the ramp and dropped my bro off to pick the trailer up and back it in.

whilst waiting another guy and his family was putting there boat down the ramp and the wife jumped in to motor the boat off but it rolled off.Without noticing the emergency switch was pulled she drifted away into the river(slowly).Also he had a mate who was floating around waiting for him and they tie to boat to there boat to tow it.

I felt helpless but when the dad parked the car i told him to jump in and i run him out to the boat.

He jumped in saw the switch pulled and fired it up.

Everyone around just seemed to help

Edited by johnno

• 1 year later...

I know this may sound a little weird... but i was sitting on the edge of a lake near my school with my dad, no action, but :05: , anyway some weirdo was doing laps around the lake in his kayak, splashing up a storm about two metres from the edge! There was a bunch of other people around too, and he would just paddle right through the middle of where they were fishing! Its a reasonably small lake, but he had plenty of room that didnt involve scaring away our fish! What a tool..........

I think you guys will like this. From Tony Bishop, well known Auckland angling identity and former tackle shop owner.

"Ed the lad and me made the long trip in the tinnie out to Takatu Point from the Sandspit. We set up a good berley trail and were beginning to catch some good fish.

We heard the boat before we saw it. The roar of big diesels under plenty of revs. As it rounded the point we saw it was a 50 foot-plus gin palace, the flybridge littered with people.

Suddenly the boat veered from its course and turned towards us. It passed not two or three boat lengths away and swung around us to a halt. The steep wake hit us full broadside and water slopped over the side. Enough water to put at least a foot or 18 inches in the bottom of the boat.

Our tackle boxes crashed off the seats emptying hooks, sinkers etc into the bottom of the boat. We came very close to tipping out.

"Catching any?" yelled the idiot on the wheel.

i gave him the benefit of a short, sharp character reading, with some helpful hints on boat management near anchored small craft.

"Should that boat have all the water in it?" asked one of the nearly bikini-clad bimbos adorning the owner, laughing enough to spill some of her gin. They departed giving us a one fingered wave goodbye.

Ed and I bailed out the boat, carried on fishing and eventually made our way back to Sandspit.

As we slowly meandered up the inlet, we spied the gin palace now sitting serenely and unattended at anchor.

Ed and I slowly motored up to the boat and stuffed pillies and skipjack bait into every orifice we could find. A lot of bait into a lot of holes, nooks and crannies. We left this to percolate in the summer sun.

'Waking' boats is unforgivable, and avoidable.

...pillies and skipjack - best served cold, and spiced with time :puke:

I think you guys will like this. From Tony Bishop, well known Auckland angling identity and former tackle shop owner.

"Ed the lad and me made the long trip in the tinnie out to Takatu Point from the Sandspit. We set up a good berley trail and were beginning to catch some good fish.

We heard the boat before we saw it. The roar of big diesels under plenty of revs. As it rounded the point we saw it was a 50 foot-plus gin palace, the flybridge littered with people.

Suddenly the boat veered from its course and turned towards us. It passed not two or three boat lengths away and swung around us to a halt. The steep wake hit us full broadside and water slopped over the side. Enough water to put at least a foot or 18 inches in the bottom of the boat.

Our tackle boxes crashed off the seats emptying hooks, sinkers etc into the bottom of the boat. We came very close to tipping out.

"Catching any?" yelled the idiot on the wheel.

i gave him the benefit of a short, sharp character reading, with some helpful hints on boat management near anchored small craft.

"Should that boat have all the water in it?" asked one of the nearly bikini-clad bimbos adorning the owner, laughing enough to spill some of her gin. They departed giving us a one fingered wave goodbye.

Ed and I bailed out the boat, carried on fishing and eventually made our way back to Sandspit.

As we slowly meandered up the inlet, we spied the gin palace now sitting serenely and unattended at anchor.

Ed and I slowly motored up to the boat and stuffed pillies and skipjack bait into every orifice we could find. A lot of bait into a lot of holes, nooks and crannies. We left this to percolate in the summer sun.

'Waking' boats is unforgivable, and avoidable.

...pillies and skipjack - best served cold, and spiced with time :puke:

yeah, good stuff!.....almost as good as i would of DONE!

..well done again......

..cheers!..stevo!..

Edited by fishguts