Sydney Fads

njsconst

Just curious..... has anyone been out to the FADs off Sydney recently. Haven't heard much, but know that the water temperature has been unseasonably cool.

Was gonna try and give them a hit next week.

This is one I got last season on a live yakka.

post-2204-1169003807_thumb.jpg

Thats a nice dollie,

A mate of mine went out yesterday to the botany wide fad, caught about 7 dollies all small about 45cm, they went off the bite after that.

The waverider off dee why isnt holding any yet, its still sitting on 18.5 degrees water temp.

Nice dollie

Was at the botany close fad over the weekend and last week, lots of rat kings around and a few reasonable sized dollies, the close fad has a very strong current that is at times pulling the fad under, from what i last heard the far fad is underwtaer, can anyone confirm this?

cheers james

Seen the fad under water many of times,especially in big seas n strong currents.As far as off shore goes it has not been ideal to go out wide.Unless you are in a real big boat,but a sub 5 metre boat forget it.

Thats why we have not been out for the last 3 weeks.

But will be out soon. :thumbup:

Seen the fad under water many of times,especially in big seas n strong currents.As far as off shore goes it has not been ideal to go out wide.Unless you are in a real big boat,but a sub 5 metre boat forget it.

Thats why we have not been out for the last 3 weeks.

But will be out soon. :thumbup:

Saw some guys heading out to the clsoe fad in a 16 footer :1prop: it was the stupidest thing considering it was a alloy the waves were 3-4 meters.

cheers james

Was out on Monday, got 8 ranging from 45-70cms on pillies.

Water was a nice 23.3 C

Dollies came on and went off the bite pretty quick

FAD wasnt under water but still plenty of current

Edited by TunOFun

I just went onto the Fisheries website and saw that the FADs, Sydney South, Kiama and Jervis Bay are all reported as missing. Is this just a case off them being held under the water with the strong currents?

Or are they gooooone?

Has anyone been out to those particular ones recently.

I just went onto the Fisheries website and saw that the FADs, Sydney South, Kiama and Jervis Bay are all reported as missing. Is this just a case off them being held under the water with the strong currents?

Or are they gooooone?

Mate i went out to that kiama one on boxing day,and it was definitly gone,whether the current had it under or it has just dissappeared who knows but my mate went there on his way out to the kiama canyons to have a look for me and he also couldn't find it ,and that was on friday.

Hey Raiders

Scuse my complete ignorance but whats a FAD?

I assume its some kind of marker bouy or something. Are they attached to the bottom?

Never really been out in the open b4 (Would dearly love to but I don't know anyone who has a boat that goes out) Some childhood memories of being out in the open near Batemans with my dad & uncle many many moons ago. Hoping to get myself a decent boat (Maybe a Quinne) in the next 12 months or so & then maybe I will call on someone to come with & give me some pointers on serious boating. :biggrin2:

Just reading the posts here has been a real eye opener :1yikes: I see the experience amoung the folk here & dream of having half the knowledge most do here. One day soon I'll put my dreams into reality. Until then I read & learn. Thanks for that.

BH

Hey Raiders

Scuse my complete ignorance but whats a FAD?

I assume its some kind of marker bouy or something. Are they attached to the bottom?

Never really been out in the open b4 (Would dearly love to but I don't know anyone who has a boat that goes out) Some childhood memories of being out in the open near Batemans with my dad & uncle many many moons ago. Hoping to get myself a decent boat (Maybe a Quinne) in the next 12 months or so & then maybe I will call on someone to come with & give me some pointers on serious boating. :biggrin2:

Just reading the posts here has been a real eye opener :1yikes: I see the experience amoung the folk here & dream of having half the knowledge most do here. One day soon I'll put my dreams into reality. Until then I read & learn. Thanks for that.

BH

gday mate,

a FAD_ is a Fish aggregating device, as you said it is basically a bouy attaced to the bottom which floats on the surface. when the warm currents run down the coast pelagics and species like dolphin fish follow and they are attracted to floating objects and congregate around them as do bait fish, kings etc. people usually troll the vacinty, cast lures and baits and come up with fish its a very simple way to get dolphin fish and other species (not at the moment in sydney though as the warmer currents havent arrived and stayed around, the 22 degree mark water temp is ideal while the water is approx 18-20 in some areas so not warm enough.) hope this helped oh and the coordintes for fads are on fisheries websites , usually the wider fads hold the better quality fish and there are also many private fads around for you to find (just floating objects really).

hope this helps

cheers pk

gday mate,

a FAD_ is a Fish aggregating device, as you said it is basically a bouy attaced to the bottom which floats on the surface. when the warm currents run down the coast pelagics and species like dolphin fish follow and they are attracted to floating objects and congregate around them as do bait fish, kings etc. people usually troll the vacinty, cast lures and baits and come up with fish its a very simple way to get dolphin fish and other species (not at the moment in sydney though as the warmer currents havent arrived and stayed around, the 22 degree mark water temp is ideal while the water is approx 18-20 in some areas so not warm enough.) hope this helped oh and the coordintes for fads are on fisheries websites , usually the wider fads hold the better quality fish and there are also many private fads around for you to find (just floating objects really).

hope this helps

cheers pk

Thanks pk_fishn'

Great info indeed!

Learnin' learnin' learnin' :yahoo:

Or are they gooooone?

You will all be pleased to know that I checked the Fisheries website regarding the FAD locations and it had been updated today (24/1/07). The FADs off Kiama & Jervis Bay/Currarong are no longer listed as "missing".

However, one of the FADs off southern sydney is still missing.

I can only assume that the roaring currents that have been with us lately have been holding them well under the surface. I don't think Fisheries Dept would have replaced them that quickly, as no Government Dept gets anything done in a timely manner! You only expect that kind of thing from the private sector.

Deano35 and myself are heading out to the Botany Bay FADs tomorrow so stay tuned for a report tomorrow arvo!!!

Nathan