South West Rocks

searabbit

g.day raiders,

just got back from a weeks fishing at swr, fri 26th arrived & tried for a jew in the river on the run out, caught 8 fork tail catfish between 3 & 5kg each, dont think i would like to eat these smelly fellas but they do fight hard.

trolled to the fad sat morning for this 6.5kg dolly post-1424-1170558917_thumb.jpg& spent the rest of the day off the jail, no marlin seen :( sunday morning lost a marlin on the way to the fad on my pakula cockroach but did catch plenty of stripped tuna. trolling livies in the arvo produced this 9kg yellowfin for stuart (his biggest fish) post-1424-1170559148_thumb.jpg

trolling again monday morning to the fad produced a 7kg wahoo :thumbup: plus a few more stripyspost-1424-1170559325_thumb.jpg

we found the marlin on the chew finally when we got back to the jail, all the boats seemed to be getting a chance at a hookup, us included when chris hooked up for 5 min before the hook pulled. but it wasnt long before he was on again and while i was bringing in the other 3 lines one of those went off, rushing to the rod the run stopped and another rod went off and then the downrigger pulled out of the clip, all while chris was still playing his fish amoungst the numerous other boats around us, it all ended with a double hookup and i got my fish in cut the trace near the hook and got chris's fish in as well. 2 small black marlin wouldnt have been 20kg but they put up a great airial desplaypost-1424-1170559896_thumb.jpgtotal marlin for the day was 5 hookups and 3 landed plus a 13kg cobia on the downrigger.

tuesday i got my 1st marlin on a lure after losing my last 3 hooked on a lure so i was pretty happy about that. so we changed our lures to halco laser pros & rapalas to try and get another wahoo but hooked a marlin on a laser pro.

for the rest of the trip we hooked marlin on lures and live bait until the last day were we only got 1 strike and a lost fish on a livie. total marlin 8 from 14 strikes, more photos to come.

Guest danielinbyron

the house mate has had very similar days on the boat up here at byron...nice report mate ..jewfish are a bit like a cab on george street lately , where are they when ya need em.

post-1424-1170560905_thumb.jpgpost-1424-1170560861_thumb.jpgpost-1424-1170560744_thumb.jpgpost-1424-1170560776_thumb.jpga few more pics with more to come

the house mate has had very similar days on the boat up here at byron...nice report mate ..jewfish are a bit like a cab on george street lately , where are they when ya need em.

yeah i would have liked to try for a jew a few other nights later in the week but the days out side were long and hot on an open boat.

post-1424-1170561350_thumb.jpgpost-1424-1170561323_thumb.jpgpost-1424-1170561298_thumb.jpg

yeah thanks fellas,

ive been up there plenty of times and missed the action by a few days but this time we planed it perfect, except for dave on spooled again, bad luck you had to leave on the monday mate, i think there was 12 boats off the jail & im sure all of them would have had a hookup.

Guest danielinbyron

"yeah i would have liked to try for a jew a few other nights later in the week but the days out side were long and hot on an open boat" c rabbit..

yeah ...ya sleep the sleep of the righteous after a whole day out on an open boat mate..sure takes it of you.

Spoke to a charter skipper from SWR today and things are getting a little better with a few fish on the close grounds but with 40plus boats chasing marlin there are still plenty coming home empty handed. There have been a few wahoo,rat fin and the odd mackeral around however the cobia seem to playing fair at the moment. Heading up in a few days for 3 days fishing so hopefully it keeps getting better.