Reel Arm (left Or Right)

Dolmo

Hi

I have always had my reel arm on the right hand side of my rod, but have seen many pro anglers with it on the left and was wondering what the majority of you use? i tend to mix it up how i hold my rod and used both arms / hands.

This old dog can only learn so many tricks these days and I just cant get use to the left hand wind as I have been winding with the righthand for so long it is second nature to me.

It doesnt effect my catch rate as far as I can ascertain :tease:

Cheers Stewy

thanks stewey.....do you hold your rod in your left hand then or your right? I find i use both and sometimes strike with my right and then change hands so i can then wind...only thing i can see with right hand is maybe better feel if your right handed...but seems harder to wind

for spinning I use my left hand to wind. It's just so much easier after casting out a lure, you don't have to change the rod over to the other hand. I'm right handed so I cast with my right hand.

I used to be a right hand wind man :) the changeover wasn't that difficult, took probably a couple of 3 hr session to get used to left hand wind.

I'm with Stewy on this one - I have tried to do a 'lefty' soooo many times & end up looking like a complete novice! A bit like patting your head with one hand & rubbing your tummy with the other - total lack of co-ordination!

I am obviously a very strong 'righty'! Long may we rule!

Cheerio

Roberta

Guest danielinbyron

goofy hander here to !just feels too wrong winding with left ta me ..no-one i fish with does either..and some are lefties.

thanks stewey.....do you hold your rod in your left hand then or your right? I find i use both and sometimes strike with my right and then change hands so i can then wind...only thing i can see with right hand is maybe better feel if your right handed...but seems harder to wind

Yes I can cast either hand and it feels good,I cannot wind left handed for the life of me :wacko:

When I fish with lures the rod is always in my left hand when retreiving.

Cheers Stewy

Raiders

this topic had a good run back in about October if i remember. My lefty mate lent me a rod in jindabyne about that time and I never goy used to winding with the left hand though I could see if I could there would be some great advantages. I could cast with my right and then wind without changing arms. I never had the patience though.

davo

I cast right handed and wind left hand. Always have done. There is a serious lack of lrft hand retrieve overhead reels. Egg beaters aren't a problem anymore as they mostly are universal.

The Penn 321 GTi is the biggest lefty I've been able to find and after paying over $200.00 for my first one I bought two more from the States on eBay for about $75.00 each including postage. I also have a Lefty Penn Long Beach trolling reel which is a little smaller and without level wind but it holds 500m of 25 lb mono.

Abu Garcia have some nice little lefty OH reels as well and I have a 6501 C4 and a little baitcaster as well.

I also have a very old left handed 4" Alvey that I've had since I was a kid. I swap the side cast mechanism from this reel onto a 6" star drag Alvey for the beach sometimes (used to be my dads). The mechanisms are interchangeable.

Shimano had a couple of small ones but I think they were phasing them out. The Curado and Calcutta I think. I have a Shimano TR 200G which is a nice little right hander which I can use but I'm a bit awkward with it.

i am left handed :biggrin2: i use right hand wind as it is more common in baitcasters and i can borrow a mates and not be un-co. i think it is just what you feel good with and makes no difference to catch rate

I'm with Cam, I cast left handed and wind right handed.

Helps if your a kacky hander though!

This debate is all Rex Hunts fault with his c##p about if your right handed you should hold the rod in your right hand and wind with your left Just fish whatever way you are most comfortable with

I am all with you on this ... who gives a toss which hand you wind with. Just go and catch fish! Cheers kelvin

You don't have to participate in threads you don't give a toss about you know.

Hey livo, I don't think anybody's having a go, all I'm saying (and I think namesay and The Iceman) is I don't really think there is a right or wrong way just whatever you are comfortable with.

Cheers

Evil

Hey livo, I don't think anybody's having a go, all I'm saying (and I think namesay and The Iceman) is I don't really think there is a right or wrong way just whatever you are comfortable with.

Cheers

Evil

No worries mate. Like most Lefties I'm a bit sensitive. No. Not really. I didn't see any of the posts in the earlier run and I felt that it was valuable to pass on information about my investigations. Possibly someone might be able to give me some info that I haven't found.

I had to go to four tackle shops to find what I was after. They look at you like your mad when you ask for a left-hand Overhead reel. I had one young assistant at a well known dedicated fishing chain store, which will remain nameless, tell me to learn to wind right handed and just get used to it if I want to use quality reels. I nearly belted him, but in a way he was pretty well on the money. We are about 1/5th of the population but you wouldn't know it trying to buy anything larger than a Penn 320, or in my case 321.

No offence taken.

Im right handed and i cast with my right and reel with my right...just feels more comfortable.....

I tried the opposite after the thread a few month back and it just didnt feel right to me....

Either way it is not so important.....i say hook the fish first (hardest Part) and then worry about which hand to use

:biggrin2:

Does anyone cast with thier left hand and use the reel in the right ???

Cheers Stewy

Yeah mate I do. But only coz of that dam Rexy!

Me = r/handed

Tried to cast right & reel left with eggbeater but man that was way too hard. Like alot of others here I found it was like trying to "shake" with my left hand after peeing, Very messy LOL

But I could see the sense in what the bearded burbler was saying & tried it the other way. Cast with left & retreive with right. Finding it much easier. I'm still not as good (Read - acurate) casting left handed but I'm getting there. Who knows, maybe all the big fish are to the left anyways :074:

If its all about casting casting casting then I guess you have a slight advantage over a whole day against someone who casts then swaps hands. You'd prolly get two more casts in over 12 hours!!

I had to go to four tackle shops to find what I was after. They look at you like your mad when you ask for a left-hand Overhead reel. I had one young assistant at a well known dedicated fishing chain store, which will remain nameless, tell me to learn to wind right handed and just get used to it if I want to use quality reels. I nearly belted him, but in a way he was pretty well on the money. We are about 1/5th of the population but you wouldn't know it trying to buy anything larger than a Penn 320, or in my case 321.

The only brand of reel which caters for the lefties is Avet, but the left handed versions are basically only available from the states. But I'm with you on this one, it is damn hard to find a LF retrieve overhead.