Pt. Stephens

Geoff

Fished Pt Stephens last week. Arrived on Tuesday afternoon to be greeted by the bay full of white caps & a screaming Nor Easter.

Wednesday , similar conditions but managed to find some sheltered water around Solders Point. Other than a few small red's nothing exciting

Wednesday night the southerly arrived which flattened the ocean & set up , weather wise, 3 terrific days of calm seas

Thursday headed east to the islands just off the heads. Not a lot of action but Peter did boat a very nice Mowie

Friday , headed south to Fingal Bay northern headland. Plenty of action which started with a Bonnie being picked up off the Tomaree headland.

During the day heaps of small red's. If the size limit of redies was reduced to 29cm we would have bagged out

Neil boated 2 nice fish & dropped a huge salmon after it made a few specular jumps

post-731-1171231788_thumb.jpg

post-731-1171231832_thumb.jpg

The sharks had an attraction to Graham with several being caught & released on both Friday & Saturday.

post-731-1171231867_thumb.jpg

Saturday , we returned to Fingal , a bit quieter but Peter picked up a nice flattie & flounder.

For me , no keepers but lost count of the number of undersize flatties pulled over the side which kept the interest high.

Looking forward to our next get together in April

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Hi guys

Well done given the trying conditions! That darned nor easter is the bane of the mid north coast!

At least you were catching a few keepers - sometimes, it is just about the 'fishing, not the catching!' Enjoy the moment!

Cheers

Roberta

G'day Geoff,

Port Stephens has its own version of a N/E wind. 30knots is just a puff up there. It always blows.

Geoff the size limit for snapper is 30cm.

Cheers

Jeff.

Geoff any day fishing is better than working. I wish you caught your bag limits of those plate sized snapper as those are the best of eating.

David.

G'day Geoff,

Port Stephens has its own version of a N/E wind. 30knots is just a puff up there. It always blows.

Geoff the size limit for snapper is 30cm.

Cheers

Jeff.

Jeff you are correct about the Snapper size , my error , got mixed up with Flathead. These guys were just under , 28 - 29 cm.

Tks for the pick up , have amended origional post

Geoff

some nice fish there geoff, shame about the salmon but looks like you guys had a ball - super stuff!!!

Ben

sure does blow up there mate, I was there 2 years ago and payed for a charter ($110) and it was windy as, then as soon as we go out past the heads it was the worst conditions I have ever experienced and I was rather annoyed at the charter guys for even thinking about taking us out there in the first place. I got my $110, he tried to make a booking with me for the next day and i kindly said "no thanks", went to the tackle shop and brought a fishing combo, some hooks and bait and fished off the breakwall under a bit of protection from the wind and managed a few bream. It was windy for the entire week (30 knotts +), I was not impressed !!!

thats wat happened to us a few months ago, we hired a 12ft boat and the weather was really nice and the no wind at all. I guess it was the calm before the storm but then 5mins out to the water a huge storm came and the current and wind was sooo strong we hard trouble pulling up the anchor. The owners thought we were in trouble cuz no one picked up the mobile and they came to rescue us LOL. Full refund but then we booked for another day. However boat hire is so shit, the boundary for us was in the main port stephens place which has no or not much fish.

These kinda wind and storm is normal in Port stephens, it happens all the time.