Sydney Harbour Kings

netic

Well, well

After yesterdays thrashing we received, Sal and Steve called me up last night saying they wanted to have another go at the kings on Sunday to get some pay back, I had a Family thing at 2.00pm so i said if we go we have to be back early, which meant we had to leave the water by 10.00am.

Both said no worries and we made it a date, I told them to bring all their heavy gear as i didnt wanna lose another fish, I got home from at party at 11.00pm last night and started to change the damaged rod holder from yesterday, By 11.30pm the new holder was in and we were raring to go for the morning.

Both arrived on time and we got to the ramp at around 6.00am.....Sun came up and we started to squid, now these guys thought nothing was getting away today and we are gonna smoke them not get smoked....I said lets just see.

Heres a pic of the fools that think they can stop anything

I was a little more realistic and thought it would be great to land a bigger 1 metre plus one but if we didnt it was ok, Anyway we were armed with very heavy artillery including a Tiagra, Stella 20000 and 2 x Torsa 30's.

We set off for our squid spots and off we were, Yesterday i caught most of the squid but today Steve blisted it, I caught 1, Then Sal caught 1, Then Steve caught four in a row within 10 minutes, Showed both Sal and I up and after trying for another 10 minutes and the squid going quiet we decided to go and hunt down some kings.

We went straight to yesterdays spot and started to downrigg 2 baits and different depths, was quiet without a touch for about 20 minutes even though the sounder showed plenty of fish and then it happened.

The stella gets hit, Steves in Fairy land again thinking about god knows what and the rod buckles.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....bang............The brand new rodholder which was Barely 10 hours old breaks....Second one in 2 days.......Dammmmmmmmmm..The rod goes horizontal and steve grabs it before it goes into the drink.....Grabs the rob and sets the hook,,,,fight on......I call for him to tighten his drag and he cranks it up nearly all the way.....drag is still ripping out like its a $50 reel..........then Poppppppppppppp.....lose line and we lose him.....bring the rig up to see that the Trace has been shreaded and Steve is spewing......swearing and throwing air punches....

Here is a pic of the new holder back at the ramp

We tell him to just be patient and we get another bait down and off we go, we use the rod holder that is in front of the rigger(which is SS) but offcourse this holder is not in the right position so we are concerned about the line coming back into the rigger but we have no choice...we begin to downrigg again......about five minutes later Sal yells look...and we see a slight nilbble on Steves rod ....Then she bends and bang Steves on.....he fights it for about a minute or so and he lands a nice 73cm King.....Well done....He's sort of happy now but still spewing about losing the big one.

Then we put my Tiagra out and Sals Torsa with a livie each, for the next 30 minutes it goes without a touch and me being so tired (only 5 hours sleep in the last 48 hours) i have a bit of a snoooze while Steve and Sal continue to downrigg....I get into a deep sleep when i hear......OZ OZ OZ OZ....WAKE UP.....i jump up and my rod is bent.....i grab it and start to fight the fish.....now I am shocking when i wake up and can barely walk or open my eyes....i fight the fish and bring a 65cm rat on board......i just wake him on the floor and tell the boys to take the hook out as i cant even open my eyes and i sit down and begin to sleep again....

Now trying to get to sleep all i can hear is Sal bitching and whining how when its his turn the fish never hit....then all i hear is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......Sals Torsa sets off...i open my eyes and Sal is already fighting the fish....now this bastards runs hard and Sal ups his drag and starts to get line on the bastard....i dont know what to do as i can barely tell what planet im on......i grab the gaff and Sal yells it here a lean over and Gaff the king and give it to Sal to take care of......Its measures just short of 80cm..

Now we only have 2 baits left so we put them both down and off we go again......and then within seconds Steves Torsa goes off and we are on again...he fights for a short while and boats a nice 70cm King....this one we release as we have a king each to take home.....

One squid left, we begin to downrigg and and then we see small taps at the rod...after 30 seconds of this we bring the rod up to see that the squids head is gone....DAMN peckers....

We strip him up and make 2 baits out of him and throw them down...it doesnt take long for the rod to buckle and for me to land my second for the day...comes in at 67cm....He gets released and we have one remaining...we Downrigg him for about 10 minutes and then say i think its time to go home as we have had our fun for the day....Steve pops the rigger line off and reels in the strip...and then as he is reeling it in...Bang....he yells im on...he fights for about 10 seconds and then nothing.....we bring it up tp see the trace had been cut clean...he says it didnt feel too big so we presume the trace was damaged by the pliers that we used on the last fish trying to take the hooks out...SHit happens and we call it a day.....at the ramp at 10.15am and back home by midday.....

NO hoodlums but still a great day chasing kings in the greatest harbour in the world.........

Great fishing Netic. Any time that fish are breaking your equipment I reckon you're pushing the limits - I have no doubts that the fish responsible were great kings. Thanx for another excellent report!

BTW - smallish fish, hit a squid strip being retreived, bit clean through the trace - I'd guess a tailor.

Well done Netic, what a mission! Also nice to meet you the other week at the King social.

I preemptively replaced my plastic holders with stainless on the tinny! Since doing so, I dont think i have had a big hit from them!

Edited by Dezmo

Great stuff netic once again! Seems like you boys had a great time! Shame about losing the big fish, but don't worry i'll be out wednesday to get him :biggrin2:

DAN

Mate he's roaming around so hopefully you will nail him, Just be ready when he hits

Netic,

No sleep, monster Kings and party in the avternoon. How well did you sleep last night. Good training for the baby.

Geat day on the water.

Cheers

Kurt

Mate i was absolutely rooted......I got an hour sleep yesterday at 1.00pm and then had to stay up till 10.00pm.....I slept like a baby last night

great report there oz,

hada ball both days and we got in2 some nice fish thanks alot :thumbup:

good to see new rod holders going in.. ill have to fix u up as i was on strike BOTH times

and they were my rods hahaha funny times...

can wait to get out there agian and nail some larger hoods..

cheers steve

great report there oz,

hada ball both days and we got in2 some nice fish thanks alot :thumbup:

good to see new rod holders going in.. ill have to fix u up as i was on strike BOTH times

and they were my rods hahaha funny times...

can wait to get out there agian and nail some larger hoods..

cheers steve

Mate no neeed to fix anything up, Its part of fishing

Mate was a pleasure to have you on board, You fitting into our kind of fishing well. Plenty of teasing and laughing.....

top report oz.

im jealous now hehe.

i gotta get out there for a fish. :ranting2:

just coz i have read your report.im gonna go pick up my boat today buddy :biggrin2:

Mate you were the one that said you didnt wanna go fishing last weekend, you could of ripped into thm with us, next time i guess......