Dumb Things

kw367

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day Raiders!

After reading (and contributing to) some pretty funny posts about boating stuff ups, I thought I'd pop the question....What's the dumbest or most embarrassing thing you've done whilst fishing or boating?

You can read about mine here.

In no particular order....

- Tried to launch my old polycraft with the safety chain still attached.

- Did a dodgy job of attaching the hose to the bait tank/deckwash scupper, it popped off thus filling my boat ankle deep with water on the way to the live bait grounds.

- Discovered i have left the keys at home whilst at the ramp.

And my finest hour.... second trip in my new boat, CFD, Reel Addiction and myself were sitting south east of browns mountain and not being able to start the motor... after 30 minutes of pants browning, distressed radio calls and cold sweats chris discovered that i had left the motor just in gear, which we rectified and then started the motor like nothing had happened.. we had to laugh...

Edited by Sammy0884

I was fishing in the lake at Woy Woy giving my some new diving lures a run on my light ET Escape rod with shimano reel with 9lb line any way i was having a good time and got a bit careless i leaned back for a good cast and forgot to flip the catch over and snap my nice new lure ended up in the middle of the lake with no line attached i was so spewin....I wont be doing that again

There are two that come to mind , the first is the ol' favourite leaving the bungs out.

Launched a 12' Quinie in Pt Hacking. Left a friend holding the boat whilst I parked the car , returned to find my friend paying more attention to the scenery than the boat which was now filling rapidly with water.

Jumped in , started the motor , off we went , the water drained out , in with the bung & all OK.

The other , staying at my Cousins place just Nth of Bega & we decided to fish Bermagui. It is a reasonable distance to Bermi , time wise it is about 40min.

Arrived to discover no boat keys & where is the spare set , in the same bag as the main set still siting on the kitchen table :1prop::ranting2:

OK , we will unhook the trailer so the return trip is faster. Keys for the trailer lock , you guessed it , with the boat keys :ranting2::ranting2:

So we tow the boat all the way back , pick up the keys & 1.5 hours later ready to launch.

When loading the boat , keys now go in first

Geoff

There are two that come to mind , the first is the ol' favourite leaving the bungs out.

Speaking of bungs, my boat's got one of those American brass ones that you need a spanner to undo. Last time I went to take it out, I noticed it was very tight. I gave it my all and suddenly out she came, sending me flying backwards with my head hitting the swim platform, causing a large lump. To my dismay, the WHOLE thing had come out, including the female thread which fits in the boat. :ranting2:

Managed to refit the bung, but she still won't undo. I now have to rely on the bilge pump. At least I know I can't leave the bung out now!

Just thought of another , this is really dumb.

Planned on fishing BB. Left my place at Berala ( Lidcombe) with Mottyman

The trip to BB is normally through Greenacre , Wiley Park & onto the freeway etc.

I'm cruising along ,we are chatting , arrive at the ramp , begin to prepare the boat then the penny drops , I look around , turn to David & said , what are we doing here ???????????

In his normal diplomatic manner , thought you had changed the venue

We were at the Grays Point Ramp , Pt Hacking :1yikes::1yikes:

Back on with the strap etc & off to BB.

It took a while for my face to turn from red back to it's normal colour

Geoff

My most embarrassing fishing moment happened when I was about 15 years old at Mallacoota.

I was fishing for flatties with a few mates on the main wharf there and had a nice fish on which became entangled in the pylon beneath the wharf.

Just then, my mother came down as she was on her way to a friends house for lunch and all dressed up and just had her hair done at the beauty parlour.

She asked how the fishing was going and I told her of the flattie wrapped around the pylon.

She leaned over to have a look and...you guessed it...Kersplash!! in she went..finery and all.

My mates and I were in hysterics :074::074:

I grabbed the life bouy on the wharf wall and tossed it in after her and she managed to drag herself out up the embankment..dripping wet, hairdo and clothes ruined.

When she got out...all I could think of to say was..."did you manage to get the flattie while you were down there???"

I was grounded for 3 weeks after that effort. :ranting2:

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

i guess im pretty lucky, i don't do many stupid things these days, but when i first started boating it wasn't very pleasant..

ive slipped on the ramp ALOT of times, cranked and cranked the motor only to find i left the fuel line out, and while on the water, ive hit way to many wakes at WAYYY to fast

In no particular order....

- Tried to launch my old polycraft with the safety chain still attached.

- Did a dodgy job of attaching the hose to the bait tank/deckwash scupper, it popped off thus filling my boat ankle deep with water on the way to the live bait grounds.

- Discovered i have left the keys at home whilst at the ramp.

And my finest hour.... second trip in my new boat, CFD, Reel Addiction and myself were sitting south east of browns mountain and not being able to start the motor... after 30 minutes of pants browning, distressed radio calls and cold sweats chris discovered that i had left the motor just in gear, which we rectified and then started the motor like nothing had happened.. we had to laugh...

:Funny-Post: Thats a beauty Sammy,motor left in gear :074:

penguin

a couple of years back was fishing simmons point at balmain

with my 6yr old daughter,was bringing in a fish on one rod

when all of a sudden the other rod goes beserk and rod holder

come out of the ground,im standing on the shore watching the rod

which was my best mates start being dragged out to the channel between the shore and goat island.

had to make a quick decission let it go and try to explain to him wat happend

or quickly strip off to my reggies and jump in after it.well i chose option two and in i went.

no joke it was a good 20-30 meter swim.there i was out in the water retreiving the bloody

thing and my young girl laughting her head off.

she is now 13 and still can remember the day.

:1prop::1prop::1prop:

Can I add sumthin dumb that I saw somebody else do.

Here goes,I got an invite to go to the last Kingy social at

Clifton Gardens on Crazy Johns boat, a mate of ours

nicknamed the BEAN (and for good reason too), came along.

We got to Clifton wharf at around 6am, and proceeded to unload

the drinks for the social,Crazy Faridation and I told Crazy John

to look after his boat while we along with the BEAN take the

drinks to the social registration area.He said no I wana come too,

BEAN can look after my boat,I said "thats not a good idea".

You see john didnt bring anything to hang over the side of his boat

to stop it hitting the pylons of the wharf,so he got the BEAN to sit

on the edge of the wharf, and keep the boat away from the pylons

usung his feet.Sounds easy enough for any normal person (which

BEAN ain't).

After we drop off the drinks and register,we walk back to Crazy

Johns almost new Cougar Craft,and find the BEAN sitting in the back

of the boat relaxing,while the boat is bumping and scraping the

barnicle encrusted wharf pylons at low tide with the wake from every

passing boat.

The horrified look on Crazy Johns face said it all,and b4 he can speak, :ranting2:

BEAN says "What? It was rough".

John could have killed sum1 at that point,and Crazy Farid and I didnt

know whether to cry for John or laugh at BEAN. :(:074:

Johns boat left Clifton with 2 big masive groups of scratches exactly

where the pylons were.

His words after that were "1st and last time BEAN." :1badmood:

post-1664-1172488348_thumb.jpg

Edited by penguin

that bloody bean exactly first and last time.

penguin sure has a good memory.

heres another one

crazy faridation and a mate we call crack and myself for a fish in botany bay.

so anyway we get there ,boat is launched im waiting for crack to park the car.

crazy faridation is waiting for crack to return so i can pick the up at the ramp.

not knowing as reverse the boat it ok but when i put it in forward and the boat died.

we had the thing parked beside the ramp trying to start it for two hours.

battery had died trying after all that time.

take the thing home after the day of fishing was over :ranting2::ranting2: .

the next day my asian mate popps over to see the problem so he takes the engine cover over and sprays it with wd 40 and checks the leads by that time i find the problem .the safety clip when you put the key in had popped off when i had put it in forward and my hip must of bumped it off :074::074: .

so we decide to go to the hawkesbury in a few days time for the first time.

invite my cousin to come ,he is from italy.

anyway we get there and follow my asian mate out and to realise that the motor was running crap.

we didnt know the problem.

my mate left in his boat to fish further out for hairtail as we stayed in close.

the motor was beeping off its nut.

when we gave up and left early i realise that my asian had put the firing order all wrong when he checked my problem from before :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

went to mates place a few years back to do a bit of night jew fishing.got to his place just before sundown to find him in the boat trying to get it ready for the trip :1badmood: . needed numerous jobs to get her seaworthy,wiring/stearing etc if you get my drift.boat was a very old fg half cab with a very old and tired looking motor.. should of been enough of a warning by then to go shore based fishing. got it launched much later at greys point and took way too long to start,finally got going and made our way,not a real smooth jurney so i talked him around to not going outside to the nice little reef i was put onto.im keen fisho not crazy... well we were fishing a nice deep hole in the hacking and didnt get much so decided to call it a night as nothing was going right. finally motor started and on our way back,so i thought.then the motor dies :1badmood: .no ressurection this time and my mate tells me just spent a grand on service :ranting2: is all i could say.. anyway funny thing was we started using hands to row to shore [about 250mtr away] as the bugger left the oars beside car in driveway :1badmood: not happy jan.. anyway as luck would have it an old guy returning from his yacht in a little tiny rowboat came to our aid and he towed us to the jetty wharf..was the funniest thing ive ever seen..such a tiny boat with this fairly old [but fit] guy towing this 16ft fg boat. :074::074: needles to say ive not been out with this guy again, get a good giggle every time i think of that night..

another silly thing is one of the numerous times ive taken my fish waterskiing when forgot to pull keepers net into boat when moving spot..

Anchored up and started fishing at clifton gardens during the kingie social

I started cleaning up the boat and I asked my mate to pull in the anchor when we had finished

Not realising he hadnt heard me I assumed he had pulled the anchor in and motored off

after about 5 minutes of awkward driving (boat pulling to the left and really struggling)

I mention it to my mate and he says "did you pull the anchor in"? :1badmood:

I pull the anchor in and she has a nice bend in it now like 45deg off center

OMG how embarrasing

Coollamon

About 4 weeks ago we were fishing on the harbour for kingies and had just run out of squid.

Just in time I hook onto a big cuttlefish which we plan to strip for bait.

Had it in my ice slurry to kill it and the amount of ink in this thing was amazing. . Also in the slurry were all my drinks for the day. The water was thick black at this stage with all the ink from it.

Kept it in the slurry while I cut strips from it with my fillet knife and in the process I must have slightly punctured a can of coke.

The gas in the can caused half the contents to fizzle out and the ink seeped in to replace it.

After getting home and while cleaning the boat I grabbed an icy cold can and had a big gulp…and I can tell you…it was not nice.

From memory i have only done one dumb thing.

It was on botany at mol point about 2 years ago i took the hose off the bait tank to wash the deck down and the killtank(underfloor killtank) it has a bung to stop the ice/cold water from going into the hull well someone(let not name names) had forgot to put the bung in and washed the inside of the killtank and left the hose in there turned on.

Dad reaches over the side to wash his hands struggles to reach the water, a short while later he reaches over again to try and wash his hands again, his hands plus apart of his forearm goes in(ajmes did u turn the bait tank hose off???????) oh S#1T, we had taken on loads of water.

I have also left the burly pot out a few times when driving the baot.

DOMZA on the day of the kingy social i was sitting in the passenger seat dom was driving, doms dad was sitting in the cabin, dom went a little to fast over a set of wake waves and his dad kept smacking his head on the roof of the cabin.

There was another time me and dom were thrwoing lures around from my boat at mol point trying for tailor and pike at about 11.00 at night dom had a popper on i had a small chrome, dom casted his popper out and hooked one of the rock fisherman, they untangled his line and through it back in the water.

From past experiences with the molinoux point rock fishos if you tangle with them they cut your line and keep you lure.

Anyway dom started winding his line back in he reached the boat and the first thing i was to dom was ( did ya get ya poppa dom) the whole boat had a good laugh and he has earnt his occasional name of poppadom.

cheers james