Dumb Things

kw367

How could I forget this one???!!!

I was fitting a fire extinguisher to my boat last year. Spent ages looking for a spot that was easily accessible, yet not in the way. Finally picked a spot on the false floor near the side of the boat. So I drilled a couple of small holes through the (carpetted) floor for the screws to go into. After drilling the second hole, I said to myself "Is that daylight I can see?" Jumped out and looked under the boat and yep... I'd drilled straight through the bottom of the hull!!! :ranting2::1badmood::1prop:

Luckily, it was easily fixed with the help of my panelbeater Brother-in law. Didn't he get a laugh out of it though! :074::074:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:074::074: don't worry mate, your not alone. In front of my seat when washing the boat the water always stays there in a puddle, so one day i decided to drill a hole so that the water would go down onto the deck(so i thought). Next trip out it was night and i noticed the carpet wet..i thought nothing of it because we were catching fish..then everyone on the boat went to one side of the boat and there was literally a fountain of water coming into the boat :ranting2: Drilled straight through the hull :mad3: Cut our fishing trip short, and it was a very easy fix.

This one happened many moons ago up at Nelson Bay. I use to work at the main marina up there. One lunchtime some mates and I took a 28ft Bertram out for a run. We pulled back into the inner most birth of the Marina which was packed with about 100 people eating lunch. As we pulled into the marina berth I jumped from the bow to the Marina and grabbed the bow rope in hand to tie the boat up. I had the rope in one hand and the railing of the boat in the other. At the same time my mate put on the rear bow rope which caused the nose to move out. Instead of letting go I held on and ended up suspended in the air above the water between the bow of the boat and the marina.

I am thinking this is not going to end well and I am looking at all the people who are all now staring at me.

In almost slow motion as I lost my balance and turned upside down still holding on for grim death. I then went head first fully clothed in trousers and collared shirt into the drink. My mate sorts the boat out and drags me out of the drink. Neither of us say anything and I start splodging up the marina soaked to the skin and the whole bloody marina full of people started pissing themselves laughing.

dont forget forgetting to take the strap off the poly

and ripping a cast into the washes and taking the tip of my finesse bream raider with it :mad3:

my finest hours have always happened at the weekend socials... the morning after :biggrin2:

i probably shouldnt, but i will tell ONE of sharky's finest (of which he has too many) because that day i could not stop laughing...

... went out to moll point with outnumbered and sharky targetting trevs, myself and outnumbered had our line in the water ASAP while sharky was farting around not paying attention, trying to rig up

he put his daiwa spin reel on his battler, went to rig up and noticed he couldnt grab any line from his spool, upon further inspection he had put the reel on upside down

was the funniest thing i have ever seen

lets hope he finds this thread and writes a whole page of dumb things

CFD

You %%%%% I was going to keep that one to myself :mad3:

Ok Christopher you seem to have forgotten about a certain person putting the catchbag over the side and not tieing it off to the bollard. The first time most people learn there lesson (Especially when the bag contained the whole days catch) But 3 yes people 3 times and 3 fishbags full of the days catch have been shark food on at least 3 seperate outings that I know about. :074::074::074:

Now onto the dumb things I have done. Other than the infamous rigging the reel on upsidown episode. :biggrin2:

I had started a new job and I work about 200 meters from the harbour Bridge I decided to come to work 2 hours early and I had some funny looks as I walked down the road with a backpack and a rod all the while in a business suit. Anyway to cut a long story short I went back to the gallery and my boss and his partner start pissing themselves laughing. I was none the wiser but there was a huge whole in the back of my suit pants. I realised that my fishing knife that was unsheafed in the bottom of my bag had cut through it and was poking out about 3 inches. My suit was ruined and the Owners were convinced that I had hooked myself in the arse while casting. They still wont believe me when I tell them it was the knife. :biggrin2: They like to tell the story to all my clients also.

A very long story cut short. I was loading up a very special rod to show how strong it was and as I pulled down as hard as I could Ben pulled up as hard as he could. (They really go POP!!!!)

Decided it was a good idea to go swimming in botany bay in the middle of winter when out fishing on Brians boat. Apparently when I jumped in as soon as my toes touched the water my whole body turned a purple/Red colour and the guys thought it was the second coming because I was basically walking on water trying to get back in the boat. Not only where they pissing themselves at the fact I looked like a human ribeena berry but I forgot there was a ladder at the back of the boat and I was trying to get over to portside.

Sashimin bonito eyeball, dont ask but if you must try it cut off the retina it tends to get caught on things on its way down.

Brians boat and its spring the fishing was dead slow and we were talking about how fun it would be to rip around the bay on a ski tube when someone suggested that the esky lid would make a perfect subsitute.

One very red bruised ribcage and what a swear felt like a broken jaw I gave up on the idea.

Im sure other raiders will remind me of fishing related screwups. Ow and before I forget I gave Brian and his wife Teri food poisening last time they came around for a BBQ Donna? Stewy? Chris? I hope I didnt poisen you guys also. actually Chris I take that back

apart from the stupid boating things ive done my ALL TIME embarrasing moment (theres a few) is as follows...

I was getting ready to go out one night with my girlfriend, we were at her mums place so i went to the bathroom to get ready. Wanting to fix my hair up i opened the vanity cupboard and grabbed a bottle of hair gel. I proceeded to squeeze it out and began to style my hair. After about 10 seconds my hair began to soap up...wtf?? i grabbed the bottle and felt like the biggest dick in the world when i read the label: Harpic 2 in 1 toilet cleaner! :wacko: it took a good shower to get it out but hey, at least my hair was nicely disinfected :1prop:

Edited by jewnut

apart from the stupid boating things ive done my ALL TIME embarrasing moment (theres a few) is as follows...

I was getting ready to go out one night with my girlfriend, we were at her mums place so i went to the bathroom to get ready. Wanting to fix my hair up i opened the vanity cupboard and grabbed a bottle of hair gel. I proceeded to squeeze it out and began to style my hair. After about 10 seconds my hair began to soap up...wtf?? i grabbed the bottle and felt like the biggest dick in the world when i read the label: Harpic 2 in 1 toilet cleaner! :wacko: it took a good shower to get it out but hey, at least my hair was nicely disinfected :1prop:

:074: mmmmmmm toilet fresh!

I've known blokes with haircuts like dunny brushes before but thats going too far!

Jewnut at least people won,t call you $hit head.

okay for mine

not many i can think of

1-when purchasing the new boat (2ndhand) drove to sunshine coast .

When coming home the guy explained the hand brake.( never had a braked trailer before),

okay cheers off we go brother says man this is going to suck some fuel,i said na man it's okay, further on he asks whats the specs on the boat how heavy is it. i replied about 5-600kg.

we stop at a dealer at springwood QLD and get a spare just in case. the dealer checks the size and i touched the wheel and got a good burn. Now we work out the guy never flipped over the hand brake click thing.

60km,s =3/8 of a tank of fuel. lucky we where in QLD fuel is cheaper.

2-few weekends ago went out in the boat i go to start it and it fired and stopped.brrrrbrrrrrrbrrrrrbrrrbrrrrrbrrr

battery 1 was low throw over to 2 battery sweat.Ahhhhhh you idiot put the motor down straighter in the water not tilted.When my motor is tilted to far forward on start up it floods.

this is really all i can think of

OK, here's mine.

Joined a website dedicated to my favorite hobbie, thinking everyone was reall really cleaver & could help me git smarter. Only to find they are all total basket cases!

:074::074:

Just kiddin'.

Great thread, keep 'em coming.

OK, here's mine.

Joined a website dedicated to my favorite hobbie, thinking everyone was reall really cleaver & could help me git smarter. Only to find they are all total basket cases!

:074::074:

Just kiddin'.

Great thread, keep 'em coming.

This thread WILL help you get smarter Boofhead, just DON"T do any of the things listed above!!! :074:

This one still Sh*ts me to this day.

Hadn't been for a fish in ages due to family commitments which seem to happen every weekend (must be something to do with marrying into a large eastern european family!)

Thought I would give the motor a good service to avoid any issues - changed the oil,cleaned the filters and replaced the spark plugs. As the battery was on charge didn't bother trying to kick her over - why I didn't take it off charge for a minute???

Next day pick my mate up and in the water just before dawn - full tank, freash bait and all the gear ready to go. Only thing the motor won't start!!!!

Spend the next 2 hours going over the whole thing - battery.filter,fuel and pull the plugs out and back in again and still nothing!!

2 weeks later after the frustration subsided - pulled the cover off the motor and hard a good hard think, then it hit me!!

I had placed the plug cables around the wrong way - swapped them around and she started first turn of the key.

Talk about a dumb arse!! (but it's good to see I'm not the only one!!)

Casper

Ok here is one of mine, there has been many :)

I had a little bit of a steering problem with the new boat on the first trip, it just would not steer in a straight line if I took my hands off the wheel. It wasn't unsafe so i persisted knowing that it was probably just the little tiller thingy above the prop that needed adjusting.

I got home and flushed the motor and adjusted the tiller. Went out the next day and only got about 400m, the steering was much worse than before I "fixed" it.:1badmood:

I headed back to the ramp where my mates jumped out and one got the trailor, I drove it on to the trailor and we pulled it out so I could adjust the tiller again.

When I got to the top of the ramp number 2 mate was pissing him self laughing, pointing at me and calling me every kind of idiot.

As I was about to get out of the boat he walked over and trimed the motor all the way up......

showing me a set of ear muffs still on the leg "Do you think takin these off will help" :074::074::074:

Yeah it did :)

Cheers.

Robbie.

Well it happend to me about 2 mins prior to typing this post, i was making homemade custard in the microwave and was reading through all the dumb things again and forgot about my custard i have a plate of yellow rubber now sitting on my lap.

cheers james

I gotta friend who's a boating disaster on legs.

One of those guys who buys a speed-boat, tries to justify it as a fishing vessel, but then just spends every "fishing" trip driving it as fast as he can as often as he can.

A group of us were at Bawley Point for a week over New Year. Prior to the trip the boat owner made a bit of a song and dance about how much boating we would be able to do and, subsequently, brought the boat along. I should add here that the boat is an old fibreglass thing, open cockpit with an old 2 stroke 60 merc on the back.

So, as the weather was poor, I suggested we spend the first day fishing inside Jervis Bay. We got up at 4:00am, drove the boat to the Murray's Beach boat ramp inside the Jervis Bay national park (a good hour and a half from Bawley), and prepped the boat for launch. Then comes the clanger.

I ask Captain Cockup "Do you want to just turn the motor over before we launch it?"

Sure says the Captain, who turns the key and gets nothing. The other passenger and I then set about checking the leads to the battery, asking each other questions like "what could cause the battery to drain so quickly since it must have worked yesterday when the Captain first checked the boat?" We shuffled around a bit before admitting defeat - the battery was dead and there was nothing to do about it.

So we started questioning the Captain to discover how the battery may have died.

It was during this questioning that we discovered that he hadn't used the boat for six months, and hadn't even tried turning it on before dragging it 2 and a half hours down to the coast and then a further one and a half hours to Jervis. When we asked why he hadn't tried it before leaving Canberra he explained that he was having battery problems the last time he used it and didn't try it because he was afriad it would be flat.

What the?

We drove back to Bawley in silence and didn't touch the boat again for the rest of the week.

:risata::074: what a cack!

Many of these are BB, so heres a LB story . . .

Most embarrassing beach moment (1990 or there abouts)

Picnicking at Norah Head (wyong) Dad had just finished a day of fishing and was going back and forth packing up the car. Meanwhile my sister and I were on the hunt for seashells and comparing the different colours of water washed glass thinking they were absolute treasures (as if thats not embarrassing enough)

Next thing, were treasure hunting under the concrete boat ramp and both spotted the biggest, prettiest seashell of the day. Raced her for it, but forgot to duck as the ramp got lower and BLAMO! Literally K.O'd myself under the boat ramp. Came too after a minute or so, wondering why the sand around me was all pink, and why there was this strange man standing over me while my sister was staring at me white as a ghost - could have had something to do with the 2inch gash on my head and what she thought were my brains seeping out.

Turned out the 'strange man' was the Mr Whippy man! He'd seen what happened and had come down from his van which he was parading on the street above and tried explaining what had happened to my dad who had now returned from the car, as i was lying there in a daze apparently not able to verbalise anything and talking gibberish (so the story goes).

Off we went to the ER to get stitched up! Left a lovely scar which remains prominent to this day (Luckily for me, just behind the hairline)

Needless to say, sis ended up with that little treasure while i have a permanent reminder to DUCK!

Edited by lil'whiting

mate too many to list, the latest though mixing up the positive and negative terminals and doing some damage to the motor somwhere (still to be fixed).

There are so many silly things to stuff up when boating, but usually you never do it again you just wait for something else to happen... it never ends but thats fishing.

Ben

Ben take a look over the motor and trace back the electrics, you may find that there is a fuse in there and that all you need to do is to replace it.

Yamaha motors have a spare fuse near the fuse holder.

How do I know, well I was changing batteries at the ramp and not being able to look properly underneath the battery shelf I hooked the wrong terminals up. The motor refused to start and I felt like a goose as my kids were there saying whats up dad with me mumbling under my breath.

Being pretty new to this fishing business the :wife: & me decided to try flicking some SP's around after reading how fantasitc they work on flatties. Where to got though? Finally eneded up at Cabarita Park on a rising tide. Walking the shore I spot a wonderfull looking place. Near the pylons of that resteraunt looks a likely place for some bream to be lurking. Afer a dozen or so casts not really getting close to the mark I flick the little ugly stick a bit harder to see a 3" something SP sail over the handrail of the resteraunt & onto the packed table of a group enjoying lunch. Telling me this lot weren't more than a little upset

Took a mate fishing around the Hawkesbury and launched at apple tree, i drove so had to do most of the work myself.Trying to be helpful my mate said he would hop in the boat and drive it off the trailer and around to the wharf while i took the car back.Only a 14ft Tinnie so no dramas there.... :(

I walk back to the ramp after parking the car to find him adrift about 20m from the wharf.Pulling on the starter cord like a maniac.Tells me it stalled and he cant get it started, after a few more pulls he is stuffed and in need of a rest but is now about 30m from the ramp and gaining speed.I cant help but laugh as he panics and grabs the paddle, goes hard for a minute or so before he realises he is going nowhere and collapses in the boat Sally Robbins style. :1prop:

Im now contemplating having to run down the path at the side on to the rocks and swim out to him.About 50m from the ramp.

Just before he has a last pull at the starter cord i yell out.." When you stalled it you put it back in neutral didnt you"..

Back in neutral it goes, starts first pull and ive never seen a more relieved bloke.

Oh yea, and he couldnt swim.haha

i gotta say silliest thing ive done is while pumping nippers up at the hawkesbery river. i pulled into a beach and knew the tide was running out , so i thought ill leave the boat in about waist hieght water so after we finishing pumping there is no chance we will get left dry.

had my missus mates missus in boat while me and mate went to get nippers, all is good we get our bait , we look up at the boat and its sittn in about 10 cm of water .....SHIT!

2 girls out of the boat and here we are trying to push the boat back in the water, its glass so its a bit heavy

anyway 40 mins later we finally got it out.......so lucky otherewise we would have been sleepn there i rekon

u know wat u would think the girls would say , hey guys wats happening to the water or somethin like that but no to busy gasbagging

lol

cheers

craig