The Definition Of An Idiot...

Mysterythecat

The true definition of an idiot is someone who keeps doing the same thing and expecting to get a different result.

I'm an Idiot - and so's my mate.

After hearing a few reports about the odd Jew popping up in the Hawkesbury we thought we'd give it another try. Friday night we headed out (late - but thats another story) and got to Juno at around 10pm, an hour before the tide change at 11. Out went all manner of lines and baits and lures - we had 6 rods variously placed around the boat with everything from fresh squid (though not live - haven't got the capacity for live bait on my boat), peeled, Hawkesbury prawns, octopus (don't ask me why) a couple of soft plastics and we even tried a fish fillet.

Sum total of success for staying there all night and through until about 10am next morning was a small Jew (30cms - put back but I hope to meet him again in a couple of years), a small flathead 36cm, an eel, a catfish and a couple of small tailor (one foul hooked through its side so the little bugger was really unlucky). The tailor became live bait and one got monstered by something big (probably a shark) as all we pulled up was its head and we barely felt a tug.

Smarter men would have moved on. Smarter men would have chosen another spot to begin with as this is pretty typical of the catch every time we've fished there.

But then I am an idiot. And so's my mate who talked me into staying.

cheers

Mysterythecat

How ya going mate, don't be hard on yourself. I have found that Juno is actually a run out tide spot so you were doing something right at one stage. The fact that you were using live bait and fresh squid tells that you were doing something else right. You've just got to work out what you're not doing right.

Keep trying mate and let us know when you succeed. You're not an idiot you're giving it a shot.

Cheers

Jeff.

Welcome to the club :1prop:

It wouldnt be the 1st time Ive also done that and it certainly wont be the last :1fishing1:

But then the 5 or 6 big jews that i have caught certainly make up for the missed oppourunities :thumbup:

Chin up and keep going :fisher:

cheers

You drive an hour and go through 5 km up and down billygoats trails,and still come back with nothing

to show for it ,but your a sucker for punishment and ya do it again thats the life of a landbased rockfisherman.I know i'll do it again because sometimes it pays off big time.Keep fishing for jew you might

crack a big one at Juno especially with winter just around the corner .Try on the rise of a full moon.

hey mate,

i was out there as well friday night,fishing probably 1oo meters away from u ,in the signature named Eye catcha.we caught that 30 cm jewie and through him back in,which ended up on yuor line.mate we fish the hawksbury week in ,week out for jewies and ive found in the last 12 months, they are not around in numbers anymore,i cant remember the last time we caught a jewie over 10 kg.we seem to be catching alot of pj sharks and eels,so my guess is that the water is 2 dirty, the river needs a good down pour to flush it out.ive given up for a while on the jewies,big on the yellow fin tuna

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

But its ok - I can be an idiot and still keep fishing.

I plan on being an idiot again real soon and giving it another crack - just might try a different spot next time. I've heard about somewhere called Spot X and while I'm not exactly sure where that is, I reckon its up to me to find it - stand by for a lot more attempts at idiocy :biggrin2:

Of course, if I ever catch that elusive Jew, I'll transform from idiot to genius in the time in takes to land it. :thumbup:

cheers

Mysterythecat

Oh, and another thing - my mate will still be an idiot - irrespective :1prop:

Mysterythecat

Saw your boat out there, you weren't the only one chasing the elusive Jew. Murray (Stumpy) and I were there with livies and the sharks ate 50% of them. The best thing though was the thought in the back of the mind that always say's " Maybe this time" as we pray to the river god for just one Jew. Keep going as there is nothing better than to chase a dream and bring it to reality, and what more can be so relaxing and exciting at the same time, Fishing. JO

Mystery - do you know how many times I have hit the beaches at night chasing a jew? I'd have to be nudging up over 30 by now, and as yet I haven't caught a single one. Of all those sessions there are only two where I think I've got a jewie bite!

But you can rest assured that I'll be back there again this weekend, trying all over again using pretty much exactly the same techniques.

I prefer to see it as commitment, rather than idiocy.

Hey Mystery,

A very many moons ago when Manly Lagoon still had good stands of ribbon weed in it, I resolved to catch a mangrove jack. I went down to the same spot every evening just on dusk starting from 1st November, on the 30th while dragging the wonder wobbler (it was a long time ago) slowly back in it got slammed and the fish tore across the lagoon to the golf course, then nothing, that night I learned alesson about tying hooks on properly, but I also leared that persistance especially for special fish pays off. I got my jack about 3 months later at the same spot.

There arn't many jewie experts around who have not put in the very long and hard yards to learn how to catch them.

Keep at it.

Mystery,

I like your outlook. Very Australian to take the P#ss out of oneself.

But I agree whole heartedly with some other raiders.

I have a question. Who are the idiots?

-people who stay home and watch big brother

-people who spend all their time at exclusive city pubs, looking good.

-people who watch commercial current affairs television

-people who will not leave the house on a school night

or

people who go out all night with their mates, on beautiful Australian waterways,in rain hail or shine, enjoying the great outdoors, having a laugh with each other, trying to catch a feed for the missus (risking absolute ridicule from all and sundry) or catch a fish of a lifetime (for bragging rights at any Australian boat ramp) or fishing website for that matter.

I do not mind being called an idiot!

sparkles

Hehehehe, Me and Mrs Stumpy were amongst the other idiots with you :074:

Now, to see your cards and raise you one........

At least you went home afterwards, Me and the Wife tracked another 70 km around the ocean looking for Fads that weren't there.(Possibly because the time was not correctly set on the GPS!) :mad3:

Whoops!

Hehehehe, Me and Mrs Stumpy were amongst the other idiots with you :074:

Now, to see your cards and raise you one........

At least you went home afterwards, Me and the Wife tracked another 70 km around the ocean looking for Fads that weren't there.(Possibly because the time was not correctly set on the GPS!) :mad3:

Whoops!

Ok - you win. :074: I feel a lot better now.

Actually, when a few other boats showed up for the run-out tide I was pretty optimistic.

And I'll probably be just as optimistic next time I try it. As everyone says, you've got to put in the hard hards to get the rewards.

cheers

Mysterythecat

Mystery - do you know how many times I have hit the beaches at night chasing a jew? I'd have to be nudging up over 30 by now, and as yet I haven't caught a single one. Of all those sessions there are only two where I think I've got a jewie bite!

But you can rest assured that I'll be back there again this weekend, trying all over again using pretty much exactly the same techniques.

I prefer to see it as commitment, rather than idiocy.

Hey Mondo - your byline says it all - "Any idiot enjoys catching a fish but only a seasoned idiot enjoys fishing". Pass the salt and pepper :074:

cheers

Mysterythecat

Edited by Mysterythecat

if the measurement of an idiot is someone who goes back to a place where they caught nothing, then my guess is we are all idiots. I must certainly rank up there with the best of them. Next time mate, next time (thats the Roosters motto these days).

If your an idiot where does my son Glenn and myself fit into the equation?

We spend over 200 days per annum in the world of the idiotism running our charter boats Broadbill and Billfisher and we do not always catch them. That's the "wonderful world of fishing".... I have often told my son "If you do things often enough something good will happen" or another gem is 'You can't catch what's not there"and there never is truer saying when it comes to fishing...keep at it that big jewie will come!

Ross Hunter

Ben,

Cheers mate for not taking offense. Non was intended. I live between Paddington and rose bay(very yuppie area), and have been guilty of watching trashy TV. Who hasn't. All a bit tongue in cheek.

Just saying I'd much rather be on the water. Fish or no Fish.

See you out there.

Arch