Botany Bay

TheDiko

Hello fellow Raiders,

On an all time high today as (after 3 months of desperate fishing sessions) I've finally landed a Frigate Mackerel :yahoo:

The day started at the very relaxing hour of 9am when I got down to a small creek off BB and tried for a couple of Poddy Mullet to throw out in the hope of a feed of Flatties. 1 Hour down the track I could only manage small bream so that was canned.

Onto the soft plastics after seeing the miniscule baitfish leaping out of the water next to the boats and under the bridge. The little plastic was being attacked by palm sized Tailor which explained the water action. For the next 40 minutes the water was a continual shower of fish going every which way but no fun for me :thumbdown:

Off in the distance I see a big fish leap half a metre clear of the water, Mullet I say to myself. However, 10 minutes later the water fill with big mouths crashing the surface and I can hardly beleive my eyes when I see a school of 10 Frigates rampaging the joint.

Throwing the soft plastics every which way trying to get it to zoom past their faces only to have them stick their noses up at it every time. Tried a 7g metal to no avail. Then every type of plastic, hardbody and metal I had with me for nothing.

After half an hour (how are these guys still here?) I decide the fish can see me and won't touch anything for that reason. I hide behind the bridge, stick the rod over it with the plastic at the bottom. They head towards me, up goes the plastic and is jiggled around and zzzzz WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO onto my 3rd Frigate, only this time there is no structure for him to bust me off.

After a short fight he is hauled onto the concrete and let everyone in the area know that I caught him :biggrin2:

post-2529-1176983737_thumb.jpg

Took some pictures of myself with my .0001 megapixel phone camera and had 5 cars stop and beep at me while doing so :1prop:

Measured him when I got home and he went 40cm, not too shabby if I do say so myself.

Now I've got some great strip bait....might see how they go at the FAD's on Sunday. No doubt I'll be out same spot tomorrow, this time with bait and burley :tease:

post-2529-1176983696_thumb.jpg

IFS

Edited by IFishSick

Well done mate! Bee off your bonnet eh? Great to hear of you success after so many missed attempts.

Your behind cover approach is interesting. What was the SP that did the damage?

Well done Ryan, what did you take the little speedster on?

It was a Squidgie Flickbait in Green Gremlin.

Just got some more colours to see if there are any colours that they just leap at :biggrin2:

Still don't have any Tiny Flukes though but will have some for Sunday

IFS

Great stuff mate!! Its awesome when you finally get the species that you target!

I was coming in through sydney yesterday at around 11 and whilst passing the harbour bridge i saw a few birds feeding. Soon after i saw a few small splashes but i couldnt make what they were as they werent exposing too much. First cast and a nice little frigate comes aboard and on every consecutive casts i hooked up to these little speedsters for about 7 fish. I left them biting and released all fish. Don't know how long they will be there for but theyre were plenty there.

DAN

Great stuff mate!! Its awesome when you finally get the species that you target!

I was coming in through sydney yesterday at around 11 and whilst passing the harbour bridge i saw a few birds feeding. Soon after i saw a few small splashes but i couldnt make what they were as they werent exposing too much. First cast and a nice little frigate comes aboard and on every consecutive casts i hooked up to these little speedsters for about 7 fish. I left them biting and released all fish. Don't know how long they will be there for but theyre were plenty there.

DAN

You don't usually see birds feeding with Frigates as they don't leave any baitfish or scraps for the birds to eat :1prop:

But on Sunday on the boat while cruising through Botany Bay I was spotting them hitting the surface every couple of minutes but the old man wouldn't stop and let me have a cast at the buggers :mad3:

I reckon they will stay a while longer, it's a late season.

IFS

You don't usually see birds feeding with Frigates as they don't leave any baitfish or scraps for the birds to eat :1prop:

IFS

I dont know about you but i ALWAYS see birds feeding with frigates, on the odd occasion they will be without. Have a look through my past posts, you will find that i have a great deal of knowledge and experience when it comes to frigates and pelagics. You may not see birds working a school landbased but boatbased the first sign i look for is birds working the surface! Birds are'nt always there to clean the scraps, some birds will dive down into a tightly packed school and have a feed that way.

DAN