Hydrofoil

labrador

Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting hydrofoil for my motor, it's a 40hp evinrude rigged to 4m stacer. The thing is I am not sure if this really works. Does anybody have one on their motor? Does it really improved the planing and stability of the boat? Is there any disadvantage? Can you really feel the difference?

Appreciate any comments and info on this.

Cheers,

Scout

A 40hp on a 4m tinny should be ample and perform fine.

What problems are you having? as some issues just can't be rectified with a hydrofoil

Mainly the stability of the boat when on the plane, I don't know whether it's normal or not but there are times I am not comfortable with it, it seems it's so easy to lean on either side. And also, I don't know how much rev it takes to plane the boat. I thought that because my boat is too short the concentration of weight is at the back especially when there are three people with me.

Scout

Hi Scout, please remember that foils can also cause the boat to handle worse. What they are good at are getting the boat onto the plane quicker and keeping the boat on the plane at a slower RPM. We sell most brands but recommend the PERMATRIM range of alumiunim foils because they extend beyond the outboard and act like a big trim tab when you trim the outboard. Depending on the year model of your outboard the cost of a permatrim to suit your 40HP would be $210 with the fishraider discount. I know you can get plastic ones for less than that, but I think they do not work any where near as well as a permatrim.

I hope this is of help and if you have any questions please ask,

Huey.

Agree with Huey , if you intend to put one on then spend the money & fit a Permatrim. They will give you lift but not sure on the stability.

4 people in a 4mt boat is a lot of weight & takes it to the limit. Weight balance is very important especially if you cross the wake of another boat at an angle.

Is the rear of the boat flat or near flat at the base of the transom or have a noticable "V" . If V then these are less stable when both underway or at rest. A foil is unlikly to fix this problem

Do you have any photos of the boat

Geoff

Thank you guys for the replies, I think permatrim is the way to go, though it is a little bit pricey to invest on a 13 year old boat, but then again we know our priority don't we.

Thanks heaps,

Scout

Hey Scout,

We had one on our haines hunter, 115 johnson, it caused the boat to roll onto its side really bad, i ended up with a broken toe because we all ran to the other side to stop it from rolling completely. We were nearly completly vertical. 2 weeks later it did the same on the other side. We spoke to haines and they told us to take it off. It now handles perfect. We have it here if you wish to try it, not sure if it will fit your motor

Edited by THE SWEENEY

The feeling of listing from side to side while on a plane is called chine walking. You can try to stop this by adjusting the trim of the motor. Does your motor have hydraulic trim and tilt.

My boat is bigger than the one you have decribed, but mine will chine walk fairly dramatically if the motor is trimmed to far up when on a plane, if I have to much weight forward. I have a permatrim on mine. It was on the boat when I bought it.

Good Luck

Kingpig

Hey Scout,

We had one on our haines hunter, 115 johnson, it caused the boat to roll onto its side really bad, i ended up with a broken toe because we all ran to the other side to stop it from rolling completely. We were nearly completly vertical. 2 weeks later it did the same on the other side. We spoke to haines and they told us to take it off. It now handles perfect. We have it here if you wish to try it, not sure if it will fit your motor

Was the foil you had fitted the "wing" style. Have heard similiar stories with this type of foil

Geoff

Hi Guys again,

To Huey -- Can I fairly assumed that permatrim will definitely makes planing easy and will slightly improve stability?

To Kingpig -- Yes I have hydraulic tilt/trim, I don't know though if I am doing it right, this how I know if the tilt is right, the steering wheel stop veering to the right.

So I think I am only feeling a normal chine listing as you call it.

To Sweeney -- Thanks for the offer mate, if it did not work on your boat, probably it will do worst on mine because it is such a small boat. Thanks anyway.

To Geoff -- My boat is a near flat rear and also I still don't know how to post a picture, I will ask my daughter to teach me.

From all the information I gathered, I think permatrim is worth a try.

And to all you guys thank you very much. Really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Scout

Hi Scout

This is how I judge if the trim is right on my boat.

Start with the boat stopped and the motor at idle. Trim the motor down well below where you usually trim when plaining. Put the power on to bring the boat onto a plain and as the boat starts to come out of the hole trim the motor back up. This will help bring the boat onto a plain quicker.

If you get the motor to high on trim then the boat will porpuse (bounce up an down even on flat water). On some hulls if you try to plain with the motor to low then you can get chine walk depending on the weight ditibution.

The real test to weather the trim is right when on a plain is the engine revs. Get your boat up on a plain with the engine in the position you think is best, keep to the throttle in one place and then make small adjustments to the trim up and down. You will hear the engine slightly pick up or drop off revs as you change the trim. Trim the engine to get the maximum revs you can. This will also give best preformance.

Happy Boating and Tight Lines.

Kingpig.

Hi Scout, I just fitted a Permatrim to my outboard (2 weeks ago) it is a 2005 Quintrex 530 Spirit (cuddy cab ) with a 115 4 stroke.

The problems I was having were, took too long to get on the plane, when backing off it would slip back into the 'hole' at the speed I wanted to cruise at. It would porpoise during certain conditions and no amount of trim adjustment would help.

Now, I'm on the plane quicker (approx 700rpm sooner) but more importantly, I can stay on the plane longer, down to 2800 - 3000 rpm. At this stage I have not had it porpoise yet, so hopefully its gone.

It has made a significant difference but my research showed the Permatrim should help with the problems I was experiencing and it worked.

Good Monring Scout, the permatrim will definately help with your performance out of the hole and also allow you to stay on the plane at a slower RPM. As for the stability once on the plane, in my experince the hull shape and weight distribution is much more critial for that, but in my opinion it would be worth the money to fit one to your particular boat.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey guys got a good news story about outboard foils. I have a 15ft glass tiller steer 50 hp 4st that was riding like a pig. She would porpoise and needed full noise just to get her on the plane. As soon as I backed off a bit she would drop off the plane.Weight distribution was not an issue so I thought I needed a new prop. I called the guys a Solas and they said what I needed was a foil. They mentioned permatrim as well as their own brand of stainless jobs. I went for the solas one and it was delivered the next day for $90 all up. Only took 30 minutes to fit. Took her for a test run straight away and it had transformed the ride completely. The negative ride characteristics had been overcome and I could benefit from the beautiful shape of the hull actually working properly, without her bum buried all the time. I bought the boat as an ex demo model from a company that actually put the boat and motor together as an ideal package. The manufacturers should have solved this problem before selling the boat.

Anyway the fishing was slow as my number one kingy spot was empty. We managed to drop one bonny near the heads and thats about it. Sunset on sydney harbour was worth the trip anyway. Cheers, Adam.

Hi Adam, good to hear, I am glad you got the ride sorted. As you said it really should of been sorted by the builder. I have also heard go things about the Solas foil.

Yes I was on the Harbour yesterday for Mothers Day and it was an enjoyable day and we are very lucky to have such a great waterway to enjoy any time we like.

Huey.