No Fin At Browns, But Blue Eye Yes

Markwi

Another mid week adventure saw me at the ramp ready to go at 7.00am, I was hoping to get amongst the Yellowfin and was meeting up with another boat at Browns. Conditions were great on the way, with the occasional school of Striped Tuna busting up just past the Plonk hole.

At Browns water temp was around 21.5 but the water was pretty dirty full of plankton, there was already 7 boats working the area, and most appeared to be bottom fishing.

I cubed for a couple hours for nil result and none of the other boats appeared to be having any luck either, so I decided to drop a line to the bottom. I had my trusty Daiwa SLT50 loaded with 80lb braid and away we go.

On the way to the bottom Coastal Patrol were calling me, so once the sinker hit bottom I quickly gave them a call back, as I was talking to them the rod started to curve quite dramatically, so a this point the tug of war begins :1fish: , around thirty minutes later up pops a nice Blue Eye :thumbup:. This picture is of the fish inside my Watto's 210 litre cooler.

post-2845-1179363981_thumb.jpg

After dealing with the fish I decided to do another drop “much to my arms disgust”. Once on the bottom felt some more tugs and up we come again, this time with 2 smaller fish of which I’m not sure of the ID?

post-2845-1179364264_thumb.jpg

That’s it for the day, if I was going to do anymore deep water fishing I’m buying an Alvey, it took a while to fillet the Blue Eye each fillet weighed around 6kg. I weighed the fish at home and the Blue Eye weighed spot on 20kg.

The bait was fresh whole squid tied to 14/0 circle hooks, sinkers were 3kg

Edited by whitecaps

:1yikes: woo hoo

great stuff marks

bring on sunday and some good weather and the blue eye and YFT better watch out

could be wrong but are those other fish a hapuka and ocean perch

Edited by frankp

hmmmmm steak huh! might have to get myself some for a sample!!! :1prop:

Hi there fishlec

I have just had my dinner which consisted of some fresh crisp salad and 2 nice chunks of blue eye :biggrin2: kindly donated by white caps :1clap: ( mark ) and believe me it was yum cant wait till he goes out again.

Mark if I get out before you do I will be bring mine over for you to fillet :biggrin2:

Cheers

bob