Anyone Driving A Current Model Diesel Hilux/rodeo/navara/triton?

Holmesie

Hi folks!

I'm in the market for a new diesel dualcab 4x4 ute, and I'm interested in anyone's comments if you're driving or have driven the current model diesel Hilux, Rodeo, Navara, Triton or Mazda/Ford (BT-50/Ranger). They are 2.5-3.2litre capacities, common-rail and develop similar power (around 120KW give or take), BUT the max torque/RPM differs.

Interestingly the Navara has the smallest engine but matches the Hilux for highest power (126kw) and makes the most torque of them all (403nM@2000rpm). Suggests it is running higher compression ratio or boost, I'm wondering what the implications are for longevity of the engine. This one comes with a 6-speed manual too.

Features in the trim-level I'm considering differ a little eg. Triton comes with built-in Bluetooth carkit, but no cruise-control, others have cruise. I'm not sold on the styling of the Triton or Hilux, but can look past that if they are real performers.

This vehicle would be a day-to-day farm hack, and family weekend runabout which would include towing a 5.8m Quinnie cuddy-cab or horsefloat. I would expect to keep it for around 5yrs/150,000km+.

Due to my location it's not possible for me to visit every dealer, and if I can they might not always have these models available for a test-drive... After lots of research and feedback from other forums I'm currently leaning towards the Navara, then Triton (looks aside), then Rodeo.

If you have any feedback or experience it would be appreciated!!

Cheers!

Holmesie

Edited by Holmesie

Holmesie

We (Work) have 3 Navara utes.

2003 - ST-R

2006 - DX22

2007 - ST-X

I'm pretty happy (Make that VERY happy) them all. The ST-R has about 110,000 k's on the clock & still runs very well alothough we have had 2 minor probs. One the front tortion bar retainer clamp lost a bolt (Not surprising considering the beating this things had!) & the clutch has never felt quite right. The clutch basically seems to slip more than it should but we've racked up over 100,00 k's like I said & it's still going.

The DX is a basic model which is pretty tough but basic.

We do alot of miles on dirt & hwy & all the utes stack up pretty well. Ok thery're not a tojo but for the price I reckon they do ok.

The ST-X is a completly different beast to the previous models, smoother, plusher & definatley MUCH more grunt. It has alot more torque high & low than the ST-R & DX.

Ah mate, I could ramble here for hours, I live at Nashdale, just up the road from you. I am often passing through Canowindra for work. I'll PM my mobile, give me a call & we'll arrange either you come to me or I meet you at Canowindra next time I'm going through.

Currently (Until plans change, as they do often with me) I'm off to Lake Cargelligo tomorrow about midday, I could swing your way & give you a test drive if you like. Be warned though, I'm a converted Nissan man so you won't get an unbias opinion from me. :1prop:

Edited by Boofhead

A couple of my mates have the new Navara & they are wrapped in them. I drove one a couple of weeks ago & for a diesel it had plenty of grunt. Very nice to drive

I haven't driven any of the others. I've got a dual cab 2.6 petrol 2003 Mazda Bravo 4x4 & it's been a good car.

Good luck in your search mate.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Holmesie

Ive just gone through the same thing and finished up with the navara STX turbo diesel.I was getting the triton GLXR but if you want to fit a esky in the back forget it not enough height there with the hard cover.That wasnt the only reason though, the seats in the triton were crap compared to the navara,The navara comes with cruise ,3000kg towing compared to 2600kg , bouncy ride in the triton when empty . The Navara kicks the tritons butt all over i didnt even concider the hilux one for the price and all the reviews on them leaves the hilux behind the triton and navara.I pick mine up next week.It might have cost extra but well worth it anyway.Its my first 4x4 and i was amazed at its power for a deisel especially coming from a VZ SS ute

I will be heading up your way to my Mrs parents place at Canowindra.So if you want to see one Sunday week PM me and i will get in contact with you and ill take you for a spin if you like.

Cheers

Rich

Thanks for the comments guys - what a small world this is and a great forum!

PM replied boofhead regarding your kind offer, and PM sent to Rich also :thumbup:

Cheers fellas,

Andrew

Edited by Holmesie

No probs mate......it just so happens I'm in the market for a new boat & I notice you have one.......

:074:

Just kiddin'

Maybe we can get a trip arranged for 2 boats on either Burrendong or Wyangla one day, lets face it, two boats is probably the limit of those two bathtubs at the moment. :1prop:

haha yeah they are a bit on the sad side - lets hope some of this recent snow melts and runs off into them... there's probably not even enough water in Wyangala to float my big lump of aluminium :wacko:

stay warm mate!!

Guest Big-Banana

Thanks for this fellas, I;m in the market for the New Navara. Can't contemplate the extra money I got quoted for a Hilux. Seems a bit too rich. Navara seems great and I haven't spoken to anyone thats had problems yet. I'm heading down to Lander Nissan at Blacktown this Saturday for a spin.

Any other dealers around North West Sydney?

Navaras are great,I used to drive one,I have since moved into an

F250 7.3 turbo deisel,all the torque and power one could need, bit of a hassle to

park in the city,but when she goes bush,shes in her element.

But out of the vehicles u mentioned the Navara kicks butt and looks good.

penguin

Edited by penguin

Holmesie

I was just down at my local newsagent and noticed that,

a mag called, Power farming has done an article with all facts, figures

specs and pricing on all utes currently for sale in Australia.

Good luck in ur search

penguin

I recently brought a st-r narvara - this is a run out model and the dealers are doing great deals on them to get rid of them

apart from the big turning circle & having little leg room in the back i cant fault it & at $34,000 on road with free bull bar you cant go wrong.

also with the warranty if you get it serviced at the dealer you buy from (nissan) they double the warranty to 6 years.

Ok, so now that this is an official Nissan supporters club, I guess we all should get a group discount from Nissan? :1prop:

Yup, turning circle of a jumbo jet them ST-R's. ST-X ain't much better I'm afraid.

While we're on the cons heres all I can fault with the Navaras

ST-R

Turning circle is LARGE

Leg room at back is SMALL

No cruise control

No rear speakers (I found this out when I complained that there was no sound coming from the speakers in the back. Service deprt. guy laughed & said, "That's cause there ain't any speakers, just places for them to be retro-fitted!"

That's about it I reckon.

ST-X

Turning circle is still large

Vehicle length takes a bit of getting used to (Nothin a few days won't sort out, especially when you're bustin' for the loo & the only parking space is an underground car park, you soon learn to park the beast!)

The major fault of the ST-X is you really can't stop at the lights for too long. If you do you are bound to be mobbed by sexy young lasses dying to see inside & try the back seat leg room. Of course, this only really becomes an issue when the family are in-tow! :beersmile:

PS - Holmesie, got your message today. I am going through your place at about 6:30 am tomorrow & coming back either in arvo or Friday about mid morning to lunch time. If you like I can time it for you. Just let me know.

Just be carefull as the clutches in the nissans are crap, my brother had one from brand new we stuck it on the sand after 17000k and the clutch just slipped like hell, was a devil of a job getting it out with the tide coming in, nissan wouldnt come to the party with warranty, just do a goole search on navara clutch slip and you will see that their are many people complaining about this, other than this he is happy with his purchase. cheers justin.

i purchased a new extra cab hilux last year.

haven't looked back

i'm a builder in sydney and usually carry aroud half a tonne of gear on the back.

turbo diesel never struggles and i seem to get around 550km to the tank in the city. very happy

open road with no tools i have got 700km

the hilux is dearer than the rest but you pay for what you get.. seriously consider re-sale value and the hilux is the best by far

when looking around for my car i was tossing up the navara and my second choice. it doesn't come in extra cab so thats why oi bought the hilux

good luck

Drove a Navara when I was working out on a property out at Qurindi last year, now that vehicle was an 03 model I think, and it always used to lose power and shut down on itself whilst you were driving? I dunno why, Im no expert in mechanics but it had this problem continuously. All you had to do was stop, switch off the ignition and switch it on again and it would normally come good, but yeah, itd probably be more of a worry if you were driving on the road as I was mostly driving in the paddock it wasnt that big a problem. could probably be fixed easily by a mechanic but it wasnt taken to a mechanic whilst I was there. This could be a one off, one of the neighbours drove a Navara and said he wouldnt drive anything else, couldnt be more pleased with it.

I've had no experience with either of the cars but will post my opinion.

firstly heres a picture of each of the utes.

Personally my favourite the Nissan Navara st-x

NISS0374.jpg

Next the Toyota Hilux :wacko:

TOYO0433.jpg

The Ford/Mazda ranger

FORD0864.jpg

Mitsubishi Triton

MITS1021.jpg

The navara is equally the cheapest (with the ranger) of them all (based on the RRP of the top of the range diesel auto (triton is manual because its diesel doesn't have a auto option) at $47990, next the triton at $49990 and the hilux at $52,115 :1yikes:

They navara is also equally the most powerful with 126kw and a massive 403nm of torque (by far the most torque out of them all) having all that power means it can haul a boat up to 3 ton :thumbup:

Lastly the navara and triton are made in JAPAN, whereas the hilux and ranger are made in.....Thailand :thumbdown:

good luck with your choice and let us know which one you pick

For sure domza!! I'll certainly be posting up pics when I have the new ride... the torque & towing capacity of the ST-X Navara is certainly appealing :thumbup:

The major fault of the ST-X is you really can't stop at the lights for too long. If you do you are bound to be mobbed by sexy young lasses dying to see inside & try the back seat leg room. Of course, this only really becomes an issue when the family are in-tow! :beersmile:

DAMN now I wish we had a traffic-light in Canowindra :wacko:

Will be in touch, mate

I'd like to say a big thanks to Mik (Boofhead), top Fishraider member and nice bloke who very kindly let me take his Navara for a spin today - much appreciated mate, hope I can do a return favour of some kind one day :thumbup:

I think if I drive any of the others it will just be for interests sake 'cos I doubt they'd be any better.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Holmesie

No probs mate, glad to help.

Have your ears stopped ringing from the sales pitch yet? :1prop:

Like I said, if ya wanna test her again just give a holler, maybe we could arrange a bit of an off-road test.

PS - The vino will go down treat too thanks. Just gotta get it opened before McGoose (Bro-In-Law) arrives for his next cellar raid...I mean family get together.

• 4 weeks later...

I have driven them all and will be ordering a Triton GLX-R, although I was impressed by the Mazda BT50 which is something of a quiet achiever (albeit an ugly one IMHO). I would have really liked the Navara STX, but the reviews in 4WD Monthly and Kondinin Farming magazines scared me off - I just wasn't sure it would handle the hard life it would get on the farm :( It would have been perfect for towing my boat on weekends, but it and I have to earn the weekend freedom with a hard week's work :wife:

While they all had features I really liked and performance-wise they were similar, the price, warranty and interior space of the Triton were compelling, plus it's a well-proven engine and drivetrain. Only time will tell if I've made the right decision :1fishing1:

Comes standard with nudgebar, sidesteps and hard ute-lid and will be further optioned up with snorkel, tubliner, tint and heavy-duty towbar... can't wait :biggrin2:

5carp2M_m.jpg

Edited by Holmesie

Already got my eye on a Steinbauer or DP chip :biggrin2:

Got any other possibilities MrGenius?

The DPChip would be my choice :biggrin2:

Exhaust system from Beau Desert exhaust send them an email for info they are very helpful.

A front mount intercooler on a D22 Nav is also an excellent upgrade as they suffer badly from heat soak which reduces the power output in a big way.