Resorted To Using Cunje - Smelly Stuff It Is!

arpie

Hi guys

I have been having withdrawal symptoms over the last week - couldn't even catch a cold!! The only touch of a fish was last week, when, after 1 & 1/2hrs of nothing, I finally got onto a good blackie on the Wall - a real tail slapper - I reckon it would have been a good 40cm plus, given the strength of it ..... then it straightened the hook & got off!!! I knew I should have replaced that hook earlier!! Darn it!!

However, all that changed today! My neighbour has been getting into some good blackies off the rocks with cunje - they come into the gutters when it is really rough & you just use the cunje (washed up in the same rough weather) on a size 6 hook & a pea sized sinker to the hook! Toss it into the wash & hang on!

I got 8 nice blackies from 30 - 35cm & really fat. Also caught my first females of the season, with roe in them. Tried to see if the faces were different from the males, & thought I had cracked the code, with 6 called correctly, then got the last 2 wrong! Bugger! Will continue trying to spot the difference ....

My neighbour, an accomplished rock fisher only landed 2!! The apprentice outfished the master!! :thumbup::yahoo: Doesn't happen often, I can tell you! He may not ask me to go with him tomorrow ...... He should have stayed with me instead of going further out onto the rocks! Mind you, he has caught 60 in the last week!! So he shouldn't complain. I was worried that he had lost his desire to fish! Now he is annoyed he hadn't started earlier.

Just a word of caution, in this rough weather, be really careful & err on the side of caution if you go rock fishing. There are big swells to contend with & the 'rogue' wave may occur!

Cheerio - got the smile back on the dial! I will smoke half of them tomorrow! Yum!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

I know what you mean in regards to rogue waves recently, Roberta. I was jewfishing off the beach the other night and encountered two rogue waves - each almost taking my gear! Very important to be wary of those buggers. Well done on the cunje-caught blackies! :thumbup::biggrin2::yahoo:

Flattieman.

Hi Roberta,

good to hear that the fish are biting again, and congratulations on the catch.

That sounds better than trying to attach a small bit of weed to a smaller hook and watching the fish swim straight past it!!

Let us know how the weed goes when you get it

sails

There is a great spot for this style of fishing down the coast near Kiama called the bone yard. It is actually part of the headland on the north end of Bombo beach. The swell needs to be huge but this is a small bay and protected. The cunjie washes up and smells but it is good bait.

Cheers

Kingpig

Great results there Roberta, lucky you have alternative for lack of weeds. I never realise conjie can be a good bait for blackies, because I only use them to catch drummer and sometime for bream. Always learn something everyday..thanks for that. Enjoy the smoked blackies...

Cheers

Scout

Hi guys

I've been fishing around the rocks of Burgess Beach. Huge swells today - way too much! Had one on, which dropped off as I lifted it out! Gordon got none! WIth a bit of luck it will be a bit smaller swell tomorrow. I had my bucket further away, whilst Gordon has his plus his shoulder bag closer, with the bag facing the direction of the waves! You guessed it - a big wave came & filled up his bag & he was lucky not to have both washed into the gutter!

Fibbo - check out this university site for photo of cunje 'in situ' on the rocks. After big waves, it is often dislodged from the rocks & washed up onto the beaches. Then you just cut it open with a very strong knife or saw (it blunts your knife something chronic!) Inside, it is purple (sort of) in colour, is soft, squishy & smelly but bream & blackies love it.

http://www.anu.edu.au/BoZo/KioloaEcyclopae...stolonifera.htm

Scout - Blackies will take the cunje more readily, usually only after a big swell. Once the swell settles down again, they go for the weed & cabbage. Drummer & bream are a bycatch!

From memory, you are not allowed to cut it from the rocks in the Sydney area. It freezes really well, so just stock up when it washes up on the beaches. Much safer then getting it from the rocks, anyway!

Believe it or not, 8 is the biggest tally of blackies I have ever caught & kept & in what I would call 'record time'! We were there for less than 2hrs. I have fished the wall for 4hrs & come home with less than that! My best tally of kept blackies off the breakwall is 6 - (but I had caught & released others averaging 25-28cm at the time as well.)

Am smoking the blackies as soon as I get off the net, for dinner! YUM!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Guys cunje is one of my fav baits i have caught heaps of different fish with it Bream,Blackies,pinkies,whiting and even tailor infact one of my best tailor was caught on a piece of cunje up at nambucca i think or forster one of those places,

its a great bait thats if you get it to stay on i have been told that if you salt it, it works great goes abit like rubber i havnt tried this yet tho i also lost my first and only hook up on a drummer with this stuff i almost cried it was a bigfat one to well guys good luck with using it and start collecting it its no good going bad washed up i know i will be getting some if i find it

cheers guys and well done Roberta hope you have as much fun eating the blackies as you did catching them

Tightlines Guys

Tom