Land Based Squid Session

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

We went for a land based squid session on Sunday.

The brother in law's little fella wanted to come along so, complete with the Bart Simpson Special spinning rod, $47 worth of Maccas, spare underpants and several computer games to ease the boredom should it set in, we were off to find a nice east facing rock shelf from which to assault the resident cephalopods. :thumbup:

We set up Max (aka - the littel fella) with a crappy size 2 pink jig and about 2 metres of line connected to the Bart Simpson Special and instructed him to drop it over the side and let it sink. Meanwhile, Nick, Baz and myself proceeded to cast Yo Zuri jigs out to the horizon from sophisticated rods and reels. After some gentle coaching and a severe reprimand of Max (the old "jig in the head" occurred due to carelessness :ranting2: ), we all settled in for some flicking good action. :biggrin2:

Suddenly, Max complains that his line is heavy before we could all tell him to be quiet, he flings a squid up and leaves it hanging over the water until we could help him swing it onto the rock ledge.... unbelievable. He was literally dangling the jig over the edge of the rock ledge in about a metre of water. :yahoo:

Next up, Nick hooks a decent one out wide.

That was it! No more squid over the next hour or so despite enthusiastic flicking and jigging.

Cheers

Ceph.

Edited by Ceph

Penguin,

They are destined for the deep fryer... we will save the heads and guts for Jewie baits. I have heard that the Jews don't mind frozen fresh squid unlike our Kingy mates...

We are going to train Max to be the "Squid Gatherer".. we will send him out like a military scout to check it out and get the bait. :thumbup:

We are anticipating a night session this weekend if the weather holds.

Cheers

C.

Well done guys :thumbup:

I agree Ryan, dunno whats going on but its been bloody hard to catch squid recently. Managed just one out of about 6-7 hours made up of a few sessions. Going to try again this arvo see if its any different.

GO MAX!!!! :yahoo:

Isn't it great to see so many youngsters getting into fishing.

When I was a kid, fishing with my brother and my Dad,,,We used to have a deal that it was ten cents for the first fish caught.

God knows what inflation would have done to that now...probably ten buxs for the first one landed.

Great to see Max get the first for the day...Pay up ceph!!

Cheers,

Pete.

We did Pete.... we had to buy chocolates from him for his school charity drive... he didn't have any change so the box of Mars Bar Favourites cost me more than they should have....

10 cents eh!! Looking at your photo in your Avtar Pete, that would be about 50 bucks with time value of money :074:

Cheers

C.

We did Pete.... we had to buy chocolates from him for his school charity drive... he didn't have any change so the box of Mars Bar Favourites cost me more than they should have....

10 cents eh!! Looking at your photo in your Avtar Pete, that would be about 50 bucks with time value of money :074:

Cheers

C.

Good on you Ceph.

Yes, that ten cents used to buy the biggest bag of lollies you could imagine back then and I reckon $50 is now more likely.

Mmmmmm..Mars bars...Yummmm.

Pete.

Hey Ceph,

The boy is sure one happy little fella...look at him and the eye of the squid posing for the photo!

Won't be surprise next time he'll say he wants to go fishing with Bart Simpsons...and you'll know who/what is Bart. hehehehehehee..

Good stuff!!

Reelfisho

Good on you Ceph.

Yes, that ten cents used to buy the biggest bag of lollies you could imagine back then and I reckon $50 is now more likely.

Mmmmmm..Mars bars...Yummmm.

Pete.

I will slip you a Mars if I see you out there.. :biggrin2:

MMmmmmm, I think that I might go down to Wattos and pick up a new weapon for my next fishing trip.

The "Bart Simpson Special"

You boys were obviously out classed by superior fishing equipment.

Ask Max who has the best rod :1prop:

Cheers

Stumpy

Ceph,

I have fished thay spot for squid from my boat. Ussually right up against thr rocks, and have had plenty of success 'dragging the kelp'

But my arsie brother always lands monsters by flicking heavier blue and green Jigs into the deeper water a bit further out.

I am not sure if you could cast that far from the rocks. But just in front of the old gun emplacements is where we hit them.

(you could send max out for a swim and see if any are down there)

great story by the way mate.

Arch

We are gonna see if the Bart Simpson special can beat a king next season... :biggrin2:

My sister has the Lisa Simpson special.

Did it's job against legal whiting but put a fairly aggressive bend in the rod and didn't look safe.

Maybe a 45cm King :biggrin2:

IFS