Bundeena Wharf 24 July 2007

nik

Hi all,

I went for a quick session at Bundeena Wharf tonight, I got there at 7.00pm, with the tide being fairly low.

First thing I caught was a 35cm Pike, using unweighted chicken breast with a glowlight attached just above the hook. This guy was released as I'm not sure if Pike are any good for eating/bait?

I next caugt a small squid using a cheap $2 squid jig with glow stick attached (pic attached). I dropped a second squid only a minute after catching the first guy.

I called it a night at 8.30pm.

Nik

Edited by nik

pike are great bait but i wouldnt consider them a fish to eat...

shame about the lost squid...

your pics not working try this for posting pics http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=2228

if you still have probs email them to me and ill put up for you but youll prob sort it out as its not real hard.....

cheers .....steve

Edited by roosterman

Have to agree there Steve

Pike are a great live bait :thumbup: but I wouldn't

eat one :thumbdown: plus they smell :tease:

Good to hear your getting some hits from the squid Nic

and it doesn't matter how much the jig cost if it works :1prop:

Chris

Edited by Chris 55

pike are great bait but i wouldnt consider them a fish to eat...

shame about the lost squid...

your pics not working try this for posting pics http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=2228

if you still have probs email them to me and ill put up for you but youll prob sort it out as its not real hard.....

cheers .....steve

Thanks guys, I'll give the pike a go as bait next time.

Pic attached.

post-944-1185283429_thumb.jpg

If I were to use squid as live bait, what's the most effective rig to use and whats the best way of hooking the squid onto the hook?

Would a 35cm Pike be too large for live bait in Bundeena?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just on a mission to improve my fishing skills lol

I've generally been the kind of fisherman that would go a buy pack of prawns from the servo and go fishing at any time, not considering tides, moon, weather etc. (never really caught much :mad3: )

Now that I live closer to the water, I'm determined to become a better fisherman and learn as much as I can (especially from all the experienced people here).

So you guys may be getting a few more questions from me :)

Thanks,

Nik

A 35cm pike isn't too big for bait - although it really does depend on what you're trying to catch.

The only fish you are reasonably in with a shot of capturing land-based on a bait that big are:

• Jewies
  • Big Flatties, and
  • Sharks

I suppose you might pick up a big king or a snapper but they would be an unlikely result land-based in Bundeena.

So the next question is - are you geared up sufficiently to deal with one of these critters if you manage to hook one? Do you have the 30lb+ gear necessary to chase these fish?

Nik, others may disagree, but my view is that the path to becoming a more successful fisherman is to decide on a target species suitable to your area and then go out and catch them. This means that if you want to become good at catching big estuary dwellers, like the contenders above, you need to set out specifically to catch them. That's not to say you won't hook one if you throw a stray bait out every now and then, but that kind of fishing is primarily chance, and the likelihood of subduing a rampaging jew on a 12lb estuary combo is low.

It's no coincidence that the successful 'big fish' estuary fishermen target their quarry specifically.

Having said that - the wharf you're fishing from has already given up a couple of its secrets to you - and from those secrets more can be discerned. For example, you now know a good location and technique for chasing squid - but think further and you can get even more specific. What was the tide like last night? What was the water surface like - was it windy or calm? Are there weed beds near the wharf or is it sand-bottom? How deep is the water? Was there light on the water?

These are the patterns that you need to start paying attention to if you want to become a good fisherman - and once you identify the key attributes that make Bundeena wharf a good squidding spot then you will be able to recognise those same factors elsewhere. Eventually you'll see them in a spot where others haven't thought to fish for squid and then you'll have found your first 'secret spot'.

But in the meantime - start small and work up. Next time you get a pike, instead of whacking it out whole - try filleting it and cutting strip-baits and then tossing out those strips lightly weighted. Who knows what other secrets the wharf might give up to a freshly cut pike bait? Bream, leatheries, trevalley, flatties, crabs - you just won't know until you've soaked a few prime baits under a few different conditions.

Nice squid. Used to fish bundeena wharf a far bit,abou 8yrs ago now. Used to drive down with some refreshments and spend a few hours on the wharf.

There used to be plenty of squid around,and pike. Have caught a few nice flatties there on dark. Also used to catch a heap of port jackson sharks there(always released-wish i had a saltwater aquarium but,got a few small ones).Put up a pretty good fight on light gear.

Good luck.

Stephen