Wide Of Browns Last Sunday.

Craigie

On Sunday Marquis trolled out to Browns without any bites, and although there were fewer boats than last weekend, we continued out a little wider to avoid the seals encountered last weekend.

Mark was not onboard y'day due to family c'ments, and Nugget, Fisheries Phil plus Adam and John from DPI and Craigie made up Rob Curry's crew for the day.

Rob was firm of the view that trolling would be more productive that cubing, given the recent form.

Around mid-morning with the temp around 19, the right outrigger gave a short growl and then silence, only to have the left outrigger go off like a BN and a hookup.

John had the lucky blue peg and after just less than an hour, we had a 40K est Southern Blue Fin on board.

The first for Marquis and high 5s all round.

The paddock Rob had placed us in looked the goods and Marquis zigged and zagged for another 2 peg changes and although the bird activity was scattered we noticed a few hungry gannets competing for airspace.

Then off went the shotgun, Nugget on the peg and with less weight to contend with, another SBT, about half the size of the first, was in the boat in after 20 minutes. It was a toss-up to capture or tag the second fish, but if you have never caught one......

Still no surface action from fish of birds, so we continued on the prowl and after another peg change the right rigger did a Barnsie, but couldn't hold the note and we called it a day a 4 4 2.

Given the interest in weights and measures of late we called up St George MBC weigh station and here are some numbers.

The smaller fish, (which the average guess was 20kg) went 29kgs and the larger fish (guesstimates around 40kgs) went 58.5kg.

post-256-1185866048_thumb.jpg

The short length was 144cm and measured 95cm around the head.

Edited by Craigie

On Sunday Marquis trolled out to Browns without any bites, and although there were fewer boats than last weekend, we continued out a little wider to avoid the seals encountered last weekend.

Mark was not onboard y'day due to family c'ments, and Nugget, Fisheries Phil plus Adam and John from DPI and Craigie made up Rob Curry's crew for the day.

Rob was firm of the view that trolling would be more productive that cubing, given the recent form.

Around mid-morning with the temp around 19, the right outrigger gave a short growl and then silence, only to have the left outrigger go off like a BN and a hookup.

John had the lucky blue peg and after just less than an hour, we had a 40K est Southern Blue Fin on board.

The first for Marquis and high 5s all round.

The paddock Rob had placed us in looked the goods and Marquis zigged and zagged for another 2 peg changes and although the bird activity was scattered we noticed a few hungry gannets competing for airspace.

Then off went the shotgun, Nugget on the peg and with less weight to contend with, another SBT, about half the size of the first, was in the boat in after 20 minutes. It was a toss-up to capture or tag the second fish, but if you have never caught one......

Still no surface action from fish of birds, so we continued on the prowl and after another peg change the right rigger did a Barnsie, but couldn't hold the note and we called it a day a 4 4 2.

Given the interest in weights and measures of late we called up St George MBC weigh station and here are some numbers.

The smaller fish, (which the average guess was 20kg) went 29kgs and the larger fish (guesstimates around 40kgs) went 58.5kg.

The short length was 144cm and measured 95cm around the head.

Well done sounds like you guys had a top day.Did your crew cube at all?By the way what are the SBT like on the plate?

Well done sounds like you guys had a top day.Did your crew cube at all?By the way what are the SBT like on the plate?

No we didn't cube at all last weekend, after finding seals in our slick. All the bites were on the wide lures.

Really great eating, full favoured and smooth texture. Marinated in soy for about 10 mins and tossed into the wok for about the same. The pink belly flesh, Toro in Japanese, was sensational as sashimi.

Trying to post a photo, with difficulties!

No we didn't cube at all last weekend, after finding seals in our slick. All the bites were on the wide lures.

Really great eating, full favoured and smooth texture. Marinated in soy for about 10 mins and tossed into the wok for about the same. The pink belly flesh, Toro in Japanese, was sensational as sashimi.

Trying to post a photo, with difficulties!

Try this mate

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=17267

Can't wait to try Tuna sashimi, Squid is awsome!

IFS

Hey Craigie, heard you guys on the radio a couple of weeks back being harassed by those seals when we spoke to Rob lol, The Blackwatch must attract them. Good on ya for finding the 19 degree stuff, we could only manage to find the 17.8 degree water with no breaks the Sunday before last, still picked up 1 fin and counted ourselves pretty lucky to get it, as it was maybe one of only two for the day. Rob knows his stuff ay, how wide were you guys? Were you at the Botany Presentation Lunch??

Heres a pic of one of marquis bluefin last sunday (congrats to the marquis crew) and the next is our YFT from the sunday before that. Enjoy

post-5116-1185864719_thumb.jpg

post-5116-1185864808_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Le Pasha (Daniel)

Edited by Le Pasha

Lately we have been finding large patches of birds diving and bombing and have trolled the area but still haven't hooked any fish, seems a little strange. Couple of weeks ago they were divng 20 metres of our port side, but it was still another 2 hours before we had a fish on.

I should correct myself, we did find some 18.0 degree water away from the 17.8 degree stuff that was present at browns and thats where we picked up that YFT pictured above.

Out of interest anyone fishing the SGFC monster mako tourney, sorta sucks its on the boat show weekend :thumbdown: ??

Le Pasha (Daniel)

Hi Craigie

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to FIshraider - & what a way to introduce yourself!! Brilliant. Looks like a great day was had by all ... perhaps except the tuna!!

It has been fantastic reading about all the raiders getting out there & into the big fish! Keep it up!

Cheerio

ROberta

To the crew of the mighty Marquis.

Well done lads Rob Curry is one of my long and most respected Captains and it is a personal thrill to see you guys catch great fish like this. I do recall a great day in '92 when Rob and myself worked a school of small 8 to 10 kg fin and bridled them up and caught some great blue marlin side by side. The fish were all around 250kg it was a spectacular bite. Just one of many fine memories of the great boat over the past 30 years.I am out to morrow and will be hunting for bluefin ..one to match yours would be nice. Congrats and well done to Rob and the crew of Marquis

Ross Hunter

I am out to morrow and will be hunting for bluefin ..one to match yours would be nice. Congrats and well done to Rob and the crew of Marquis

Ross Hunter

Looking forward to a report of how you go ross!!! Even more looking forward to getting out there with you on the 25th for the radier day!!!

Craig

Lately we have been finding large patches of birds diving and bombing and have trolled the area but still haven't hooked any fish, seems a little strange. Couple of weeks ago they were divng 20 metres of our port side, but it was still another 2 hours before we had a fish on.

I should correct myself, we did find some 18.0 degree water away from the 17.8 degree stuff that was present at browns and thats where we picked up that YFT pictured above.

Out of interest anyone fishing the SGFC monster mako tourney, sorta sucks its on the boat show weekend :thumbdown: ??

Le Pasha (Daniel)

Hey dan!

We have struggled with the same thing recently. we worked the birds for nearly an hour, they were diving on an area the size of a football field but we still couldn't hook up!!!! Dont forget that the boat show starts on thursday night if you can't get there on the weekend!!!!!

Sorry guys a little off topic!!!!

Once again great fish when many of us were struggling!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

To the crew of the mighty Marquis.

Well done lads Rob Curry is one of my long and most respected Captains and it is a personal thrill to see you guys catch great fish like this. I do recall a great day in '92 when Rob and myself worked a school of small 8 to 10 kg fin and bridled them up and caught some great blue marlin side by side. The fish were all around 250kg it was a spectacular bite. Just one of many fine memories of the great boat over the past 30 years.I am out to morrow and will be hunting for bluefin ..one to match yours would be nice. Congrats and well done to Rob and the crew of Marquis

Ross Hunter

Thanks Ross for your kind words and I will ensure Rob gets to see your post. I hope there are plenty of gannets in the air, as they proved the difference over the past two outings. I am chock a block with omeag5 1

Good luck on the morrow, and talk soon.

Craigie

Quote... Out of interest anyone fishing the SGFC monster mako tourney Le Pasha (Daniel)

Yes Daniel....I am fishing it....are you thinking of making it ?

hope to see you there................

Cheers Warnie

Hi Daniel,

Marquis has entered and I look forward to a pig's ear or two on Sat evening.

Good luck.

Cheers

Craigie

Looking forward to a report of how you go ross!!! Even more looking forward to getting out there with you on the 25th for the radier day!!!

Craig

We have struggled with the same thing recently. we worked the birds for nearly an hour, they were diving on an area the size of a football field but we still couldn't hook up!!!!

Just curious to know guys, do you guys try flicking large stickbaits at em when they are up on the surface or do you guys just pull up near and cube or troll?

DAN

Quote...

Yes Daniel....I am fishing it....are you thinking of making it ?

hope to see you there................

Cheers Warnie

Hey Warnie, can't make this year due to commitments over the weekend :thumbdown:. It is a top tournament though and good luck for everyone who is fishing it, make sure you put up a report with sme pics too.

Daniel

Will do regards the pics..... i have never been big on regards to

pic's etc....... mainly due to slackness but provided i can work out how

to do it ......and providing i come across something of course..lol...

i will give it ago...all the best Daniel

Warnie