Blackfish Frenzy

roosterman

Hi guys,

well after the trip out to browns was canned i decided late sat arvo while down monavale kite flying with my two boys to grab a handfull of weed and hit one of my local luderick haunts at first light sunday.. was not much weed at mv but enough for my needs anyway.. got to my spot to find a nice big school rolling around playing in the weed bed :yahoo: .. baited up and dropped my rooster float right on the money and bang , sinks faster than the titanic :biggrin2: im on.after a short hard fight i net a beaut bronzed beast around 40cm.... this continued for around 45 min to an hour.. i was stuggling to get my bait in quick enough and they liked the cabbage better than string.. once i had a couple i started to play with them more and enjoyed it immensly. i lost a couple aprox 50cm+ as i was only using 6lb fluro trace and didnt have time to bother upping the line as i knew the bite would only last a short while.. this spot gets huge blackfish most times but the challenge is worth it.. i feel like king kong when finally netting 5 to 6lb brutes but unfortunately it hasnt happened for a couple years. in the end i kept 8 blackfish lost 6 and self released a couple due to me having fun with them all in under an hour :biggrin2: . the biggest one was 41cm and most were around 35cm - 40cm with the odd huge one which i didnt have any luck with..

post-2219-1186914260_thumb.jpgpost-2219-1186914609_thumb.jpg

i am more than happy to share this spot to raiders (pm me) but not for gen public.. gotta give those guests a bit of incentive to join eh.. anyway as usual im more than happy to help in any way and give tide/time etc that this spot produces.. its no secret spot but a very fussy spot at times.... anyway get into these blackfish while they are still spawning as nows still the best time especially if a newbie.... it was like shooting fish in a barrel so to speak.....

Edited by roosterman

gday roosterman,

they are some nice fat blackfish you got there sounds like a great hour of fun. i went to narra lake this morning and they werent quiet as thick as i expected i have never fished avalon before ill have to head up that way soon.

Well done Steve!! They are nice & big & fat & don't the bigger ones go??? I intend going back to catch that huge one that did me at Spot X soon!!!

Like you, I usually only use 6lb fluoro, so you can be compromised when a whopper hops on .... but what a record when you land him!! Now I am i contact with lots of blackie fishers, I will be bringing my gear down every time I come down to SYdney!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Well done Rooster, nice fish there, i'm heading up to the lake on Wednesday weather permitting!

On the subject of flurocarbon i use a japanese brand in 6lb which is quite tough, but then stu told me fluro carbon is crap line and even though it is near invisible he recommended a really good fine diameter mono in 7.5lb its equivelent ot a 5lb diameter and this stuff is amazing very hard line and it holds well i have caught some huge blackies in the harbour on it not to mention a couple of sawtail surgeons and they test any line!

Well done once again.

LA :1fishing1:

thanks for the replies guys,

all the blackfish were very thick and gave a good account of themselves and tasted very nice.cant wait to get home for more... they are one of my fav eating fish... i will get to the pm's either tonight or tomorrow night guys but wherever you are if you want to catch these great fighting fish (for there size) now is the time while they are still schooling up and spawning...

Well done Rooster, nice fish there, i'm heading up to the lake on Wednesday weather permitting!

On the subject of flurocarbon i use a japanese brand in 6lb which is quite tough, but then stu told me fluro carbon is crap line and even though it is near invisible he recommended a really good fine diameter mono in 7.5lb its equivelent ot a 5lb diameter and this stuff is amazing very hard line and it holds well i have caught some huge blackies in the harbour on it not to mention a couple of sawtail surgeons and they test any line!

Well done once again.

LA :1fishing1:

hi LA,

i have only just started using fluro and stewy showed me that line up forster,would bloody break your teeth if you try to bite it :wacko: .. you need to use lighter trace than mainline so you dont have to go swimming for your fav float if bust up by big ones... they dont have teeth and can be shy and timid at times so light line = more fish... have proven this over the years more than once or twice... its a fine line on how light at times and this spot gets huge blackfish at times for an estuary spot.. if i didnt see how big the busted ones were i would of been worried about fluro but the juries still out on this though.. when they bite like they did sun morn i could of had wire trace and still hooked up i recon....

steve...

ps: how good were those glorious chookies :yahoo: ... maybe a corralation between their success and my rooster floats scoring :074: ...

and roberta it proves my rooster floats dont scare them off :tease: ...

roosterman,

i was telling Dad about your effort and he always said when there like that any mug can catch them even on 25lb mono(once seen a 2lb fish grab a foam bobby that was half out of the water with a number 2 ball sinker and smash it like it was the most delicately balanced pencil float in the calmest of harbour water) but when they get a bit funny they get funny! This si from someone who's chased them the best part of 55 years and he's given up trying to work out their habits and me well i being at the whole blackfish game since i can remeber as a 5 year old and they drive me insane at the best of times with their habits or as i like to say these days lack of!

But growing up and watching some very well known luderick men in their day i learnt a lot and its held me well but i still learn a lot every time i read a report here or talk to some of the old hands that still haunt the harbour these days, the luderick it's underated by a lot of folk not so here by the anglers that chase the most frustrating fish i've encountered more so than trout i reckon! but thats me and by my site name i'm biased! :1fishing1:

Once again top effort mate!

Edited by luderick -angler

Well done roosterman, they are real healthy Blackfish, they are so fat.

I noticed the other day when I was cleaning a few of the blackfish that we caught at Narrabeen, that some of the fish had noticable sections of white fat attached to the stomach wall.

Regards,

Lindsay.

:beersmile:

Well done roosterman, they are real healthy Blackfish, they are so fat.

I noticed the other day when I was cleaning a few of the blackfish that we caught at Narrabeen, that some of the fish had noticable sections of white fat attached to the stomach wall.

Regards,

Lindsay.

:beersmile:

hi divey ,

that is there winter fat.. i have been surprised that the huge ones i have got recently have not had this,or not real noticable.they were very fit blackfish and went real hard... i got another 4 this morning and lost a few more 50+ models... next trip im gonna run 10lb trace to help with them bigguns.... steve....