More Huge Blackfish

roosterman

hi guys,

well i decided to have the day off so i can check out the local school for my little roosterboy for next year....

decided to hit my spot again for sunrise and it was very chilly with a wind right in my face...

gee im a fishing nut,most would of went home to bed or for hot shower..decided to try this spot a bit sheltered from wind. once the sun started to peep its most welcome face up the downs began.. now this was not the same as sunday but good downs anyway... i left my net at home so was going to be a challenge to get them to the table & eventually into our tum tums :biggrin2: .

first fish from first down and went close to 40cm... yeh baby looking good.. a couple of touches for one lost one then i moved back into wind where i had luck last time. within minutes my float rockets down and im on :yahoo: after a few close calls with structure i lift him to the deck... now the downs for me were great but using 6lb trace meant i got heaps more than old mate next to me with same bait but heavier line and bigger hook... was a long quiet patch with no downs (5min) :1prop: then my float has a steady down then starts to move sideways..mmm a bit different this one.. i lift my rod and set hook and immediately i new i was in trouble... this guy at least started a clean fight for the first 2 min then once hed had enough playing with me he upped the ante and headed for the safety of structures.my rod was going left,right,up,down and reel singing when he gave me stick.. after what seemed like forever (prob about 4 or 5 min) the beautiful bronzed beast had his final big burst and pinggggggggg..damn was the big grunt as i reflected on what happened.this one was over 50cm and i was rapt to tussle with him but i have plans afoot for next round... i lost about 5 of 6 this morning and other than that huge one i had another that broke 6lb trace in clean water and i didnt see him but i prob should of gave him more line,oh well im a little rusty with these bigguns.. next trip i plan to run 10lb trace to give myself a better chance but will not get same amount of downs more than likely but i want one of them bigguns.... anyway all fish were good size and i took home 4 for the table from 37cm to 43cm...strangely though they didnt have any winter fat,just big strong fit buggers...

post-2219-1187057281_thumb.jpg post-2219-1187057298_thumb.jpg.

these were caught in pittwater area not off the stones....

Edited by roosterman

There good fish Steve,

looks as if they have been inside a while, they have much food in their guts or any roe / smelts? I was thinking they should have well and truly buggered off by now and gone north or onto the bottom and the flesh baits like they used to many years ago but no they have changed their habits (stripes :1prop: ) once more. I notice a lot of fish are in roe/ smelt for 80 percent of the year now where as when i was a kid it was mainly june, july, august and a bit of september! Global warming or evolution! Who knows.

Great catch regardless.

LA :1fishing1::beersmile:

Steve,

you tussled with a sawtail surgeon before? Any chances any of those brutes are mixed in wit hthe blackfish and thats whats busting you off! Just a though as i run into a lot of them off the containr wall at pt botany and ove rplace like cremorne and manly point pain in the rear ends!

hi la,

i have not caught any sawtails at this spot,yeh they can go hard.used to get smashed by big ones at luna park sometimes as a kid.... i have seen some of the bigguns and they are aprox 50cm+ but im changing tactics now to target these ones.....they were full of food,the big one was in roe(not real big though)and the smaller 3 were boys and one was still a little juiced up....

Edited by roosterman

Hey Steve,

you ever tried the roes lightly pan fried, very nice but a little rich!

I'm off chasing them tomorrow so hopefully i'll have some news for you all................... :1fishing1:

its good to see some other anglers getting interested into what i considered a dying art of saltwater angling, its just not for the old boys these days no disrespect to anyone. But my mates you to say why you fishing with the retirees much to their misfortune i used to come home wit ha feed and them nothing afteri got my bait forfree and they'd spent 40 bucks on live bait...........ha ha :1prop::1prop::1prop: thats the beauty of luderick fishing

Top outing again, Steve!! Looks like my record 45cm blackie will fall any day soon! I must get out & try & catch his grandmother!! Well done on the ones you landed. Even harder off the rocks!

Cheerio

Roberta

God I wish I was down there with you!

Mate, top report. :thumbup:

Sounds like you were in exactly the right spot at exactly the right time.

I can't imagine a 50cm Blackfish.. absolutley huge. Must have been 3 Kilos. :biggrin2:

Have you ever encountered the mighty Surgeon fish whilst fishing for Blacks? They are known for their brutal, unfair and seaky tactics. :ranting2:

hi roberta,

those are pittwater blackfish, at my local haunt.... not from the stones... but spot produces size as good as off the rocks..... i have a plan of attack for those monsters... wont get as many downs but will improve the landing ratio....

Edited by roosterman

Aha!! Methinks you will be upsizing your leader from 6lb to at least 10lb fluoro!! GOod luck!!

Cheers

Roberta

I am really just jealous!

your nearly right roberta, i plan to just run straight 10lb mono,no fluro. i may even get some of that stuff stewy showed us up forster,the stuff youll break your teeth on if trying to bite it :1prop: .. hey stewy whats that line called again ???.. the tides wont be favourable next w/e but ill be better prepared this time for sure... this morning was a last minut thing so just left rig as is... not next time though. round 3 belongs to me :biggrin2: ..

hi ceph, the smallest one at 37cm went just under 1kg.went to wiegh others and bloody batteries were dead on scales ....damn ..... i est the big one at about 1.2kg... they were much thicker than normal with no winter fat (very strange)just very fit healthy strong buggers.. there was prob a couple hundred grams extra than normal due to thier fitness and condition.... wish they were always like that.... by the way my pb is 6lb a few years ago and bloody hell didnt that one give me some curry... felt like king kong getting that sucker in the net...biggest ive seen is my old mans in the late 80's at 6.5 lb from syd harbour... those were the days :biggrin2: ..

hi kiwi dan, i have a great boss and work was very quiet so was not a problem,just wish i had planned it better as was very last min thing.. even though i still had the guilts wetting a line instead of at work...i think i need counselling,its just not the aussie way :074: ...

thanks again guys for the replies... steve...

Edited by roosterman

another nice catch there mate keep the good work up and best of luck on those biguns

Well done Steve, and an excuse that no one could challenge you on!! Loooking forward to wetting a line down there real soon; just leave some for us amateurs.

Sails

hi roberta,

those are pittwater blackfish, at my local haunt.... not from the stones... but spot produces size as good as off the rocks..... i have a plan of attack for those monsters... wont get as many downs but will improve the landing ratio....

Nice bag of blackfish Roosterman.

Hope your plan comes to fruition. Good luck, and may the force be with you.

Hi Steve

The line is: Line Systems Bass Hard. Haven't got any yet - but it is on my list!!! Gotta find the monsters, first!

Good luck for next week!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta