North Head 18/8

southerly

Launched the yak at Little Manly for a tolling session and headed round to the quarantine bouy at first light, nothing seemed to be happening so I pddled in close around the Monkey where I got my first hookup and in came a big red rockcod, I released him and headed round Old Mans Hat to the front of North Head, nothing on the surface but heaps of birds looking. After I cleared North Head I turned around and started the long haul back, picked up 2 big slimies on a gold Halco scorpion off Old Mans Hat, probabaly a few around there if they are hitting HB's. And a small pike hit the Halco off the Monkey. Nothing touched the CD7. The water inside the harbour was cold and green and seemed to have a lot of alge in it. Saw Offtap head out to sea, what an awesome boat!

Here is a picture of the sunrise from just inside North Head proper for those who slept in this morning.

post-3697-1187405389_thumb.jpg

Southerly

Edited by southerly

Hey Southerly,

good shot of the sunrise, and well done with getting out there in the yak.Pitty about the quiet fishing.

Do you usually get into good fish from the yak and what version of yak do you use?

cheers

Sails

Hey Southerly,

good shot of the sunrise, and well done with getting out there in the yak.Pitty about the quiet fishing.

Do you usually get into good fish from the yak and what version of yak do you use?

cheers

Sails

Hi Sails,

I have got a Dagger Drift II which is a sit in (SIK) double. Yes I catch fish from it, and you can get just about everything a boat can get. The trick is to pick the right spot as I cannot up anchor and travel 5km to the next spot in 10 minutes.So chasing pelagics is a bit hit and miss. However they can be launched almost anywhere so it is often possible to launch closer to the spot than a powerboat.

Late this summer I started chasing Harbour kings out of the yak and had great fun. Tomorrow I am planning to fish Bluefish Point with a launch at Shelly Beach.

There are quite a few yaks on Fishraider.

Southerly

Top shot, Southerly!! Bewdiful!! It would have been gorgeous out there on your own! Almost spiritual, I reckon!

I have just purchased a Pentax Optio w30 - waterproof to 10ft, so don't have to worry about the splash etc. Hope to get out there & get a few good shots soon!!

Cheerio

Roberta