Boat Motor Won't Start Sometimes.

Dan A

I have a new(second hand) boat with a 30hp 2 stroke motor on it and the first time I took it out the motor was starting all day no problems.

Took it out this weekend got to the boat ramp and the thing wouldn't start up, so back home I went pulled the plugs out and cleaned em up a bit and the motor cranked over.

Got on the water now and motor worked fine, stopped and fished for a while, the motor would not start again, couldn't get it going for the life of me.

Tried cleaning the plugs no go, left it for a while and the motor started.

Then it was starting all day no drama, but there was quite a bit of smoke each time it started.

I am using a fuel to oil ration of 50:1, could these be the cause?, to much oil on the spark plugs? each time I pulled them out there was a bit on em.

Any advice appreciated..

Dan

I have a new(second hand) boat with a 30hp 2 stroke motor on it and the first time I took it out the motor was starting all day no problems.

Took it out this weekend got to the boat ramp and the thing wouldn't start up, so back home I went pulled the plugs out and cleaned em up a bit and the motor cranked over.

Got on the water now and motor worked fine, stopped and fished for a while, the motor would not start again, couldn't get it going for the life of me.

Tried cleaning the plugs no go, left it for a while and the motor started.

Then it was starting all day no drama, but there was quite a bit of smoke each time it started.

I am using a fuel to oil ration of 50:1, could these be the cause?, to much oil on the spark plugs? each time I pulled them out there was a bit on em.

Any advice appreciated..

Dan

hi! what make, model, and year is it,..or just ask huey!...

..cheers!..stevo!..

Good Monring Dan, sorry to hear about your dramas, but it sounds like you have a bit of mechanical experience and you were able to get some time on the water. As a few have asked, what is your engine? Start with the basics first and make sure you have good strong spark, at least able to jump a 1/2 inch gap on a spark tester, make sure the compression is bouncy and even and the fuel/air mixture is correct at idle. Also make sure you have the right heat range plugs for your engine and that the engine has a thermostat that is operating correctly and keeping the engine temp high at idle.

All this is pretty easy to check and you will need to make sure all is OK before going further. On the smoke, try using a synthetic oil like XD-100, it will cost you more, but it is the best oil for any 2-Stroke, wether it is carby of DFI and if you used that at 50:1 you will not see any smoke and it burns alot cleaner causing less problems with carbon build-up that can stick piston rings, which can cause lack of compression or worse engine failure.

If never done the engine would benefit from spraying power tune or the like in the carby. letting it soak for a good 24 hours and than giving it a good hard run in the water, but make sure the above things are looked at first.

If you have any questions please feel fre to ask,

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, I imagine it is quite a late model one, if so, make sure it is running B7HS-10 plugs and the thermostat is working correctly. Also try and run XD-100 which is a great oil.

One thing to remember if it is what I think it is, the ignition system on those engine are a watse spark system, and if one plug is fouled and shorted than both cylinders will not have spark and therefore no spark no go.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, I imagine it is quite a late model one, if so, make sure it is running B7HS-10 plugs and the thermostat is working correctly. Also try and run XD-100 which is a great oil.

One thing to remember if it is what I think it is, the ignition system on those engine are a watse spark system, and if one plug is fouled and shorted than both cylinders will not have spark and therefore no spark no go.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, It is a 30hp 2 stroke 97 Marathon, the plugs are NGK BP8H-N-10 .040 gap.

The plugs look pretty dirty so will change those as one of the first precautions.

Also measured the crank Battery and it only shows 10volts, maybe one of the cells is gone which could be causing problems?

Thanks for all the advice, thats great.

Dan

Edited by Dan A

Hi Dan, that is an older engine than the one I was talking about. Your engine is US made detuned 40HP and is a great little engine and is a MUCH better engine than the 30HP Merc/Mariner of the last few years. Ignore the thing about the ignition system, your engine runs a CDM system which has not given us any real trouble at all.

The plugs are the right ones, but the gap is too big. Put two new plugs ones in, make sure the sprak is capable of jumoing 1/2 an inch, make sure the thermostat is there and working right, run XD-100 oil and you will be fine.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Dan, that is an older engine than the one I was talking about. Your engine is US made detuned 40HP and is a great little engine and is a MUCH better engine than the 30HP Merc/Mariner of the last few years. Ignore the thing about the ignition system, your engine runs a CDM system which has not given us any real trouble at all.

The plugs are the right ones, but the gap is too big. Put two new plugs ones in, make sure the sprak is capable of jumoing 1/2 an inch, make sure the thermostat is there and working right, run XD-100 oil and you will be fine.

Cheers,

Huey.

Well,

I put 2 plugs in this afternoon although the boat started fine even with the old ones today, but it did sound a little better with the new ones in, but could be my imagination I guess.

Will have to see how it goes on the water this weekend.

Once again thanks for your advice all.

Dan

If never done the engine would benefit from spraying power tune or the like in the carby. letting it soak for a good 24 hours and than giving it a good hard run in the water, but make sure the above things are looked at first.

If you have any questions please feel fre to ask,

Cheers,

Huey.

What does this Power Tune stuff do mate? I assume it will give a good clean out and get rid of gum and deposits? Ive got an 88' 60HP Yamaha thats never been done.

Hi Dan, take it for a spin and see how it goes, did you get a chance to make sure your engine has a thermostat in it? We see it all the time where so called experts take out the thermostat and at idle the engine runs way too cold and not well. I would be running the plugs you are, they are the right ones.

Roylo, power tune/engine tuner and the like are great products for older carby engines. It is sprayed in the throat of the carbys and you let it soak overnight or for at least 24 hours and it will chemically clean the ring grooves of carbon that as I mentioned can lead to loss of compression and worse, if left unchecked the stuck piston rings can cause the pistons to get too hot and therefore too big to fit in the bore and the engine will seize or "pick-up", causing damage in older engines that is too costly to repair considering the value of the outboard. What I would do if I had an older carby engine that never has had it done is run it thru once and then switch to the modern semi-synthetic of fully sythentic oils like XD-50 or XD-100 which burn alot cleaner and do not produce the carbion that can stick piston rings and the lack of smoke is great. The old saying of "oils aren't oils" is very true with outboard oil and the oil that you buy in &&*&*& etc are no where near as good as say XD-50 or 100.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Dan, take it for a spin and see how it goes, did you get a chance to make sure your engine has a thermostat in it? We see it all the time where so called experts take out the thermostat and at idle the engine runs way too cold and not well. I would be running the plugs you are, they are the right ones.

Roylo, power tune/engine tuner and the like are great products for older carby engines. It is sprayed in the throat of the carbys and you let it soak overnight or for at least 24 hours and it will chemically clean the ring grooves of carbon that as I mentioned can lead to loss of compression and worse, if left unchecked the stuck piston rings can cause the pistons to get too hot and therefore too big to fit in the bore and the engine will seize or "pick-up", causing damage in older engines that is too costly to repair considering the value of the outboard. What I would do if I had an older carby engine that never has had it done is run it thru once and then switch to the modern semi-synthetic of fully sythentic oils like XD-50 or XD-100 which burn alot cleaner and do not produce the carbion that can stick piston rings and the lack of smoke is great. The old saying of "oils aren't oils" is very true with outboard oil and the oil that you buy in &&*&*& etc are no where near as good as say XD-50 or 100.

Cheers,

Huey.

Top attention to member concern and questions Huey :thumbup:

Is power tune engine tuner and the like recommeded for reasonably new engines mate, in my case a 40 hp yanky merc and a 15 hp rebuilt Johnson?

If so I'm gunna do exactly that myself.

Cheers Huey

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Netic, any BRP dealer should be able to get you XD-100. We sell the gallon bottle for $60 and we have a bulk 55 gallon drum coming in that refills will be $50, so as I mentioned it is expensive compared to the other mineral based TCW-3 oils on the market, but in my humble opinion it is worth it. It is what I run in my DI 225HP HO Evinrude. You can buy XD-100 in 5 Gallon drums, but at present it is on B/O, due soon though and I am selling that for $270 to fellow raiders and it can be freighted in Sydney for $10.

Hi Jewgaffer, yes any petrol engine either 2 or 4 stroke benefits from power tune and if using mineral based oil I would be doing every 100 odd hours, with the clean burning oils like XD-100 having an additive that does the cleaning for you and you do not need to do it then. It is easy to do and a can is around $20, so not that expensive. As mentioned any engine will benefit, either 2 or 4 Stroke from this, the thing is that 4-Strokes outboards have really not got to the age that it is required yet, unless you have one of the very first 4-Stroke outboard of the bigger HP (say 40HP and up) that are now getting to about 12 years old. When I used to have an older carby car I used to run it thru every now and then and it did help performance with my older Datos I used to run in my younger years.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Iceman, no i am sorry we can not get any smaller than a gallon bottle. You can buy the semi-synthetic in litre bottles and though not as good as XD-100, it would probably better than what you are running in your 15HP Johno at the moment and is what i would use in your engine. It is priced at $12 with Raider discount.

Cheers,

Huey.

Also worth mentioning that not all synthetic oils are suitable for premixing as they separate from the fuel and the oil will sit in the bottom of your tank. This is very common in boats as most sit for minimum 1 week at a time and it only takes a day or two for the oil to completely separate. Caster based oils are the worst for this so make sure to read all the info on the packaging as it will tell you if it is to suit premixing or oil injection.

Hi Nectic, we would be about your closest dealer. Another one at Windsor, but about the same distance. For $10 we can get a bottle of XD-50 or 100 couriered to you.

Mr Genuis, the XD-50 and 100 oil are desinged for oil injected and pre-mixed engines and what we tell our customers is if the boat has not been used for a while to shake the fuel tank before use or on bigger boats the travelling on the road to the ramp would be enough to mix the fuel and oil before the boat is started on the water for a days boating. Thanks for your input though and you bring up a good point.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Wishin, I do not know about that. The XD-50 and 100 are designed for marine use. If Ryobi recomend a TCW-3 rated oil than buy the litre bottle of XD-50 and you will be fine I guess.

Cheers,

Huey.