Jewfish Session

Phil Bennett

Hi Fishraiders,

As this is my first post on the site, I'd like to start off by saying a big "hi" to you all and let you know I have really enjoyed reading all the informative and helpful post, top stuff. And since I'm in the Fishing Report section I'll start off with this afternoon's jewfish session!

I don't know how many of you guys have fished up this way (South West Rocks) lately, but the fishing has been a little tough by usuall standards. And with the absolute soaking we've had lately (300 mm in a few days) has made life even tougher.

Anyway, I hooked up the boat and hit the river about 3 pm, hopeing the solid run-in tide would push the torrent of brown water back up-river a little way. It did and we had good clean water close to the river mouth-phew. As the sun was pretty high we started of fishing for bream and managed 5 nice fish on Squidgys before the thought of a big jewfish got the better of us.

We tied on big shads and headed back towards the river mouth. First drift saw us sweep past some pretty good country, with my mate, Cory, getting one solid hit. Sadly he failed to hook-up. I sent out a green 6" Atomic shad, let it sink 30 odd feet down and begn to slow roll it back. We'd probably gone another 50 meters and I came up solid, you beauty! Some serious head-shakes had me all excited about a nice jewfish, but no powerful run followed...

A few more thumps and the fish was cranked towards the boat, and to our surprise it turned out to be a nice flathead around 4.5 kilos. The water's been horribly cold up here for months, and not surprisingly the flathead have been non-existant, so to find a sizable dusky keen to eat a lure was a welcome bonus.

But try as we might, and despite fishing every know jewfish haunt in the lower reachers, we headed home just on dark jewless. Hopefully next outing will prduce the goods. Though I'm certainly now complaining about the 10 lb flattie!

PS-just purchased a digital camera, and once I figure out how to use the bloody thing I'll start posting a few pics! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bennett

:1welcomeani: Phil.

Top first report! :thumbup:

Bad luck on missing out on the Jews but that Flattie is nothing to sneeze at mate. SWR certainly is a beaut part of the world. I've been smoked on that breakwall a few times & unfortunately have only managed Jew up to 10kgs there. The big fellas have always bricked me, even when I locked up on them on 24kg. Tough wall to fish that one! :1yikes:

I'm really looking forward to your reports & having you as our Modern Fishing rep.

Cheers,

Grant.

Welcome Phil,

I have read your stories in Modern over the years and must say it is a pleasure to see you are now part of the site. I look forward to reading your future posts.

Cheers

Mitch

shame thano jewfish were found there mate but you really cant complain with a 4.5 kg flattie can you. :1prop: well done on the fish and look forward to more reports from up that way as the fishing can be absolutly incredible up there most of the time.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. :biggrin2:

I'll file a few fishing reports from up this way as time allows. And as I get this digital camera sorted out I'll attach a few pics. Hopefully the fishing will start to heat, the weather certainly is!

Anyway, thanks again.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. :biggrin2:

I'll file a few fishing reports from up this way as time allows. And as I get this digital camera sorted out I'll attach a few pics. Hopefully the fishing will start to heat, the weather certainly is!

Anyway, thanks again.

Cheers

Phil

Just point and press Phil... nice flattie on plastic!!!! :thumbup:

Great report Phil. Sorry you missed out on a jewie, but that's a monster flathead by the sound of it.

As for South West Rocks ... is there a more beautiful spot? I've been visiting for a week in January the last few years and love the place.

Check out my SWR photos that I've just posted in the General Pictures section.

Cheers

Peter

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider, Phil

Really look forward to reading your reports! Isn't SWR magic? We've been going up every Feb for 7 years now & camp at the gaol & on the creek. I must give the river a go, now that I am into blackies as well!

Cheers

Roberta

Really look forward to reading your reports! Isn't SWR magic? We've been going up every Feb for 7 years now & camp at the gaol & on the creek. I must give the river a go, now that I am into blackies as well!

Cheers

Roberta

Have you fished anywhere around the gaol Roberta? I've always wanted to try that area. Once when I was on the little breakwall down from the gaol, I saw what looked like a school of monster whiting there.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Fishraiders,

As this is my first post on the site, I'd like to start off by saying a big "hi" to you all and let you know I have really enjoyed reading all the informative and helpful post, top stuff. And since I'm in the Fishing Report section I'll start off with this afternoon's jewfish session!

I don't know how many of you guys have fished up this way (South West Rocks) lately, but the fishing has been a little tough by usuall standards. And with the absolute soaking we've had lately (300 mm in a few days) has made life even tougher.

Anyway, I hooked up the boat and hit the river about 3 pm, hopeing the solid run-in tide would push the torrent of brown water back up-river a little way. It did and we had good clean water close to the river mouth-phew. As the sun was pretty high we started of fishing for bream and managed 5 nice fish on Squidgys before the thought of a big jewfish got the better of us.

We tied on big shads and headed back towards the river mouth. First drift saw us sweep past some pretty good country, with my mate, Cory, getting one solid hit. Sadly he failed to hook-up. I sent out a green 6" Atomic shad, let it sink 30 odd feet down and begn to slow roll it back. We'd probably gone another 50 meters and I came up solid, you beauty! Some serious head-shakes had me all excited about a nice jewfish, but no powerful run followed...

A few more thumps and the fish was cranked towards the boat, and to our surprise it turned out to be a nice flathead around 4.5 kilos. The water's been horribly cold up here for months, and not surprisingly the flathead have been non-existant, so to find a sizable dusky keen to eat a lure was a welcome bonus.

But try as we might, and despite fishing every know jewfish haunt in the lower reachers, we headed home just on dark jewless. Hopefully next outing will prduce the goods. Though I'm certainly now complaining about the 10 lb flattie!

PS-just purchased a digital camera, and once I figure out how to use the bloody thing I'll start posting a few pics! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil.

Didn't know you were in SWR mate. Would you have the time for a night fish around the wall near the river mouth during the school hols in October?

My wife Shirl, myself and our 10 year old grandson will be on our way to QLD but could stay overnite in SWR instead of Port Macquarie. We'll have one of the boats with us.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey PHIL great flattie mate,i love SWR as im originally from Nambuuca and its not far if the VEE WALL's not firing,caught a monster Jew a couple of years back actually its was my PB off a breakwall.Theres a great spot about 80 metres towards the ocean from the boat ramp where the wall deviates in then out a few

meters before its staightens towards the ocean .which with the last bit of the incoming tide causes a huge eddie .I catch my livies at the spot just before dusk then load them on the big rod and cast back out .thats

with a high tide about 2hrs after dark. Its a place you dont leave a rod unattended otherwise it will go in the

DRINK.

Craig

Sorry for the late reply, I just spent 3 days up chasing reds at Wooli. Great spot but the snapper weren't as hot to trot as I hoped. We still got 6 to 6.5 kilos, but I was hopieng we'd be bit out off the boat :mad3::biggrin2:

Hi Roberta, It's certainly a top spot. You would of had a ball with the blackfish this season. It's the best run we've had for 4 years. Clouds of them rolling along most rockwalls. Bring your blackfish gear next trip!

PeterS- SWR's is a pretty impressive place. I visted the place once 15 years ago and moved there a few weeks later!

Jewgaffer- Give me a yell (via Fishraider) as we get closer to October Hols. Might be able to do an arvo session- night time's for cold rum and sleeping :beersmile:

Howdy Chris, Rok told me about the Botany session. Sounds like he had a bit of fun. Thankfully the fishing has improved since I spoke to Rok, jews and big flatties behaving themselves.

Frantic- Just up the road hey. I know where you're talking about, looks the goods, certainly for a night session on the run-in tide. Last time I was there the blackfish were thick, just rolling in plain view right on that corner.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bennett