Additional Size And Bag Limits - Added In The Dark

Luringbream

Is it just me or have the fisheries added a whole lot more species to the list? Read through, it has made me furious :ranting2::ranting2:

I wasnt aware that Trevelly had a size limit of 30cm and that yellowtail and mackeral had a combined bag of 50.

Here are some others that i have stumbled across which were not in the original document..

Leatherjackets - 20 in total combined*

Red rock cod - 5 total

Samsonfish and amberjack - 5 in total combined*

Groper (blue, red / brown) - 30cm, 2 by line only. Only 1 fish over 60cm.

Heres the link; http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/summary-bag

This is the original link, where there is no mention of the above species introduced bag and size limits; http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/news/rec...-fishing-limits

Lately i have been braining the trevors, bagging out almost every time. Very few were well over the 30cm mark, most falling just under. I mean if i kept this up and one day they came down on me, how was i suppose to know of these changes to trevs?? It wasnt in the original document of changes!

I dont know what to say anymore, but this really sux. I cannot justify why trevelly have been given a 30cm minimum length, and the rest!! And they have added all these changes in the dark, they weren't even advertised in the local newspaper, how is one suppose to know?

I mean, can they do that, advertise the new laws coming into place and then alter them again?

DAN

hey man,

yeah thats pretty sucky

considering trevally have become so prolific of late, the change is largely inexplicabe

but then again, when is any decision concerning fisheries made on scientifically justifiable grounds :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

i'm not really concerned with the others though . . . samsons, ajs and red rockies are in most parts of NSW a bycatch and a bonus. also they are usually over 30 cm anyway (for samsons and AJs)

i think i might stop here before i get too angry myself just thinking about how !@#$@% up our government is.

Damn i didnt know trevors had a limit of 30cm!

I think the Fisheries should advertise the changes

i mean how do they expect all the fishos to know

and i hope they've been goin round changing all their size guides round wharfs etc etc

or else Big revenue time during the coming summer months.

Of course at the expense of unaware fishos.

Damn, i'm gona make it my duty to tell all the fishos i meet!

i agree that they should make people more aware of the rules, but i also rekon that they aren't that bad... for 1 the rule on the groper is the same as what is currently in place except for the 1 fish over 60cm, and in regards to trevs there is currently no size limit at all... yes i agree 30cm is too high, perhaps 25cm would have been better... but in the long run it only means we will have bigger fish and hopefully more of them as they will get more of a chance to breed. i dont know the science behind it but i think in the long term the new limits are a positive thing for fishers...

Is it just me or have the fisheries added a whole lot more species to the list? Read through, it has made me furious :ranting2::ranting2:

I wasnt aware that Trevelly had a size limit of 30cm and that yellowtail and mackeral had a combined bag of 50.

Here are some others that i have stumbled across which were not in the original document..

Leatherjackets - 20 in total combined*

Red rock cod - 5 total

Samsonfish and amberjack - 5 in total combined*

Groper (blue, red / brown) - 30cm, 2 by line only. Only 1 fish over 60cm.

aHeres the link; http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/summary-bag

This is the original link, where there is no mention of the above species introduced bag and size limits; http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/news/rec...-fishing-limits

Lately i have been braining the trevors, bagging out almost every time. Very few were well over the 30cm mark, most falling just under. I mean if i kept this up and one day they came down on me, how was i suppose to know of these changes to trevs?? It wasnt in the original document of changes!

I dont know what to say anymore, but this really sux. I cannot justify why trevelly have been given a 30cm minimum length, and the rest!! And they have added all these changes in the dark, they weren't even advertised in the local newspaper, how is one suppose to know?

I mean, can they do that, advertise the new laws coming into place and then alter them again?

DAN

I don't see what the problem is at all. In other states raising size limits has increased average sizes. whiting in SA for example.

In terms of yakkas and slimeys, I hardly see one person wanting more than 50. Despite the fact that they are bait fish doesn't make them any less important in the ecosystem

Groper havn't been doing too well and its certainly not unreasonable to put a cap on them. They are territorial and theres never many in one spot to indicate how vulnerable they are too over fishing.

as for the jackets, while there is definately no shortage of them, 20 per person is a fair few by any standard. I dont think a limit on red rock cod is going to annoy anyone either

also, I can't speak for others but I never bother keeping trevs unless they are over 40cm because there isnt much meat on them at all.

On a whole min sizes, are only going to increase average sizes so I really wouldn't worry about them and try to think in the long term

When they bumped the size of flatties up there was a period where fisheries essentially had an educational phase.

They cruised around and spoke to fisho's and handed out new stickers. I'm not sure what they did if someone had a fish that was measured under the old system but they were very proactive in making sure people knew of the changes.

Has anyone heard/seen of them doing this or will there just be a revinue raising exercise?

Dave

"I wasnt aware that Trevelly had a size limit of 30cm and that yellowtail and mackeral had a combined bag of 50."

keep on fishing until you catch travally over 30 cm. :biggrin2:

and 50 yt and mac isn't that bad. that is a bit of bait!!!!!

i'm not that worried about the new bag limits and sizes. just means we have to catch larger fish ( isn't that what we are after anyway). they will also allow us to take a decent feed of fish home too. not to mention that in later years there still should be some left for us to catch.

last weekend at east reef outside box head my cousin and I got onto a school of tailor (most around 40cm) we kept 12 between us and probably let another 20 go. we kept enough to feed the families and had a lot of fun as well.

:wacko: i know what you mean though about the fact that you wouldn;t know the changes unless you looked into it! But i don't think that fisheries could enforce something that wasn't clearly communicated to the public. hopefully they will start to educate first then start to strictly enforce

paul

The issue is less about the specifics of the changes for me (on this occasion) than the apparently nefarious manner in which they have been introduced.After having a good look at what happened with the Batemans Bay Park last week,I don't think their culture is half as concerned with a sustainable fishery as it is with the more self serving agenda of their political masters.I wouldn't count as ignorance as a defence-that's going to depend on how decent the inspector is and what directios he may have received from above.

Dave.

It's as if the removal of hundreds of trawlers wasnt enough!!

Im really looking hard for an explanation as to why there were additional changes not announced in the previous document, I believe it is all a revenue raising exercise.

I really hate the assumption that average sizes will increase if a minimum size limit is put in place. There is no evidence of this, could someone please give me an example of a species where this has happened before, in NSW waters??

Now i look at kings, flatties, blackies, bream, snapper and the like which have had size limits for the last 10-15 years and the average size has not increased! We are still plagued by rats and the bigger fish are always around, just harder to find!

DAN

I reckon they should bring in a bag limit of 20 on Trev's plus the 30 cm's size.....that way you might find among your 20 x 31 cm Trev’s that you bag a couple of the 55-60cm next year.....tell me that wouldn't be heaps more fun than skull dragging 25cm fish in the boat and taking 80 f them back to slaughter at the ramp...they are not the best tasting fish in the sea and you probably give some to the cat....just go back next week and catch another 20 if they are so prolific!!!!!

Also they have to be fairly dumb fish and not phased by my much…..my cousin and I landed 8 in a quick session on Saturday at ‘Trevally Alley’ with 4 kids on board jumping up and down, making heaps of noise and just generally being ugly rugrats. Any fish that still get caught under those conditions could really use a helping hand……..

It's as if the removal of hundreds of trawlers wasnt enough!!

Im really looking hard for an explanation as to why there were additional changes not announced in the previous document, I believe it is all a revenue raising exercise.

I really hate the assumption that average sizes will increase if a minimum size limit is put in place. There is no evidence of this, could someone please give me an example of a species where this has happened before, in NSW waters??

Now i look at kings, flatties, blackies, bream, snapper and the like which have had size limits for the last 10-15 years and the average size has not increased! We are still plagued by rats and the bigger fish are always around, just harder to find!

DAN

Mate kings are getting bigger and bigger each season.......and the size limits do have a part in that.....

If anything i believe the size limit on kings is still too low and that it should be 70cm.....allow a fish the chance to breed before being killed......

Sometimes we gotta look at the bigger picture and think of the fishing in 20 years.

Back in the 80's 15kg kings were very common off sydney...now they are few and far between becuase the stocks are running low.......

Its common sense Dan.....

eg:

lets say last year 1000 kings which visited sydney between 60-65cm were captured and taken home for dinner....

Thats 1,000 kings less who will definately not visit sydney this year....in a year do you know how much a king will grow......

someone i know recently caught an 85cm Tagged king in Sydney, he got the tag and sent it in and got the info back saying that the king was tagged in Jervis Bay 18 months earlier and then it measure 45cm...

so in 18 months it nearly doubled in size........

So imagine what size the 1000 x 60-65cm kings would be this season if they would have been released.....thats 1000 more 85cm + kings for us to fight this year......

Its common sense.....this year god knows how many 60-65cm kings will be allow to live thanks to the new reg's...these kings will grow and then return bigger and stronger in the season of 2008/2009...given us a crap load more bigger kings to fight and tussle with......

does anyone know if the new stickers are out now for size and limits and where you can get them from?

i dont mind the new limits and sizes that much. When i go out i only want to catch the bigger fish anyway, if i get trevalley that are only 20cm i put them back already.

I do however along with most others disagree with how it was communicated.

cheers

Dan

Edited by Kiwi Dan

does anyone know if the new stickers are out now for size and limits and where you can get them from?

i dont mind the new limits and sizes that much. When i go out i only want to catch the bigger fish anyway, if i get trevalley that are only 20cm i put them back already.

I do however along with most others disagree with how it was communicated.

cheers

Dan

The new stickers should be in tackle stores very soon.

Here is some additional info on the Fisheries website: Fisheries Website Info.

Cheers,

Pete.

* Summary of change to NSW size limits, bag limits and fishing method

1. What are the changes to fishing rules in NSW?

After extensive consultation with the NSW fishing community about modifications to size limits, bag limits and fishing methods, a number of changes will be introduced to recreational fishing rules.

Some of the changes in freshwater include:

* Leaving a line unattended will now be prohibited; this aims to reduce the injury, stress and death of fish and invertebrates that result from being caught on unattended lines. However the distance a person can be from each line will increase from 10 metres to 50 metres.

* Increasing the minimum legal length for Murray cod, to provide better protection for immature fish. The current legal length will increase to 55 centimetres on 1 December 2007 and to 60 centimetres on 1 December 2008.

* A new closed season for Australian bass and estuary perch in rivers and estuaries from June 1 to August 31 each year to protect breeding fish.

* Simplifying the trout water classifications to two categories; artificial fly and lure only waters and general trout waters.

* The bag limit for unlisted native fish, which previously had no limit, will now be set at 10.

Some of the changes in saltwater include:

* Introducing a new minimum legal length of 30 centimetres for pearl perch.

* Increasing the minimum legal length for yellowtail kingfish from 60 centimetres to 65 centimetres.

* Increasing the minimum legal length for luderick (blackfish) from 25 centimetres to 27 centimetres.

* Introducing a minimum legal length of 60 centimetres for dolphin fish (mahi-mahi). Additionally, only one fish may measure over 110 centimetres.

* Introducing new combined bag limit of 20 for bream and tarwhine.

The changes will come into effect on September 3, 2007. A full list of changes can be found at www.dpi.nsw.gov.au. For further information phone DPI on 1300 550 474.

2. Why have there been changes to bag and size limits?

Recreational fishing is one of our most popular leisure activities, with about one million people enjoying this sport every year in NSW. These changes are about working with the community to progressively improve fishing rules to ensure the future sustainability and viability of our valuable fisheries resources

Fishing regulations ensure healthy and sustainable fisheries for future generations. Minimum legal lengths allow fish to reach maturity and complete their breeding cycle while bag limits help to give everyone a chance to catch a good fish and no species is over-fished. All regulations are reviewed from time to time to help preserve and maintain our recreational fisheries.

3. How were the new changes developed?

The general public were invited to have their say on proposals on modifications to size limits, bag limits and fishing methods. A total of 75,000 discussion papers were widely distributed across NSW.

The changes were formulated in light of the findings of environmental assessments of the relevant fisheries based on the best available science, the results of the National Recreational and Indigenous Fishing Survey (2000/01), the Palmer inquiry into illegal fishing, advice from expert committees of anglers and more than 3300 public submissions.

Public comments on proposal were reviewed by expert angler committees and the final set of bag and size limit changes were supported by the Minister’s key stakeholder Advisory Councils: the NSW Advisory Council on Recreational Fishing (ACoRF) and the Seafood Industry Advisory Council (SIAC).

4. How will the community be informed about the changes?

NSW DPI will undertake an extensive public advisory campaign over three months to promote the changes. Signage will be replaced progressively around popular fishing spots, including boat ramps – this is a major task covering much of NSW. Updated brochures and stickers will be available from recreational fishing fee agents (most fishing tackle stores) and DPI fisheries offices. Recreational fishing clubs in NSW will also be informed of the changes and Fishcare volunteers will be out and about advising anglers of the new rules. A full list of changes can be found at www.dpi.nsw.gov.au or phone 1300 550 474 for more information.

5. Will any of the changes apply to commercial fishers?

The new minimum legal lengths also apply to commercial fishers. Additionally NSW DPI uses other management measures such as commercial gear restrictions and closures to conserve fish stocks and fish spawning biomass. All NSW commercial fisheries have recently undergone rigorous environmental assessment in accordance with NSW and Commonwealth law. The resultant Fisheries Management Strategies set clear performance indicators and trigger points for reviewing commercial catch levels, and further management measures to reduce growth and recruitment over-fishing will be developed as required.

6. What is the Code of Practice for Fishing Competitions in NSW?

Recreational fishing representatives and DPI are working together to develop a Code of Practice for Competition Fishing in NSW. The joint vision is for all fishing competitions to follow a voluntary Code of Practice so that the organisers and participants in these events operate in a safe, environmentally and socially responsible way. Competition rules and activities should demonstrate best practice and where possible, enhance the economic benefit for the community.

And here:

03 Sep 2007

NSW fishers are reminded that changes to saltwater and freshwater fishing rules come into effect on Monday 3rd September 2007.

NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) Director Wild Harvest Fisheries Management, Anthony Hurst, said bag and size limits are reviewed every five years to ensure a sustainable future for high quality recreational fishing in NSW. The size limits also apply to commercial fishing.

"The changes which take effect on Monday reflect the findings of scientific assessments, the National Recreational and Indigenous Fishing Survey, the Palmer inquiry into illegal fishing, advice from expert committees of fishers and more than 3300 public submissions.

"Beginning Monday, NSW DPI will run a three month education and advisory campaign in a bid to ensure all anglers are aware of the new rules. This will include DPI officers and FishCare volunteers talking to people out on the water, at boat ramps and popular fishing spots.

"A full list of the changes can be found on the DPI website, by contacting your local DPI fisheries office or by phoning 1300-550-474. Information will also be available from recreational fishing fee agents (most tackle shops)," Mr Hurst said.

Around 800 new signs will be produced and erected outlining the changes to Saltwater rules and a yet to be determined quantity of signs for Freshwater changes will also be produced and erected over the coming months. In the interim stickers will be placed over existing signs to reflect the new information.

Thousands of sticky measuring rulers and information flyers have also been produced outlining the changes; these will be distributed to fishers as part of the education/advisory campaign.

"All of the changes will all be included in the new 2007/2008 Saltwater and Freshwater fishing guides which will be available in October. DPI and the Recreational Fishing Trust produce the guides which are available free of charge.

"The NSW recreational fishing sector is one of the largest in Australia and contributes around $500 million to the NSW economy. It’s estimated that around one million people throw a line in NSW each year.

"These changes are about working with the community to progressively improve fishing rules to ensure the future sustainability and viability of our valuable fisheries resources," Mr Hurst said.

New Recreational fishing rules - additional background information

The major changes to freshwater fishing include;

* Leaving a line unattended will now be prohibited; this aims to reduce the injury, stress and death of fish and invertebrates that result from being caught on unattended lines. However the distance a person can be from each line will increase from 10 metres to 50 metres.

* Increasing the minimum legal length for Murray cod, to provide better protection for immature fish. The current legal length will increase to 55cm after 1 December 2007 and to 60cm after 1 December 2008.

* A new closed season for Australian bass and estuary perch from June 1 to August 31 each year to allow the fish to spawn.

* Simplifying the trout water classifications to two categories; artificial fly and lure only waters and general trout waters.

* The bag limit for unlisted native fish, which previously had no limit, will now be set at 10.

The major changes to saltwater fishing include;

* Introducing a new minimum legal length of 30cm for pearl perch.

* Increasing the minimum legal length for yellowtail kingfish from 60cm to 65cm.

* Increasing the minimum legal length for luderick (blackfish) from 25cm to 27cm.

* Introducing a minimum legal length of 60cm for dolphin fish (mahi-mahi). Additionally, only one fish may measure over 110cm.

* Introducing new combined bag limit of 20 for bream and tarwhine.

* A bag limit reduction from 20 to 10 will now apply to bonito, dolphin fish, octopus, rubberlip and jackass morwong.

* A bag limit reduction from 2 to 1 will now apply to highly prized billfish species, including sailfish and swordfish. A bag limit of 1 will also apply to each species of marlin. Reducing the bag limit will still allow for a trophy fish to be taken.

* A minimum legal length of 30cm will be introduced for blue groper. These fish mature as females between 24 and 34cm and change sex to males at about 60cm. The new size limit will protect females prior to maturity.

* The legal length for rubberlip morwong has been increased by 2cm to 30cm and the bag limit reduced to 10.

* The minimum legal length for red morwong will be increased from 25cm to 30cm. This aims to improve protection of small fish in shallow water.

* A combined bag limit of 5 will now apply to all shark and ray species, including only 1 tiger, mako, blue shark, hammerhead and whaler species. A zero bag limit will now apply to wobbegong sharks.

A full list of changes can be found at http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/summary-bag

Edited by MallacootaPete

Out of interest - something I've always wanted to know...

is a Bag Limit per person? Or Per boat/group? (So if I have 2 people in the boat - can I catch 40 trev?)

Also - does it include what's in the freezer? (I've heard someone say this)

thanks

Mike

Per person unless specifically listed :biggrin2: and that is total in possession per person including all fish in fridges or freezers

Cheers Stewy

C'mon you blokes!!!

As responsible holders of a NSW recreational fishing permit, you would have gotten a letter with a copy of the new size limits and bag limits.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZSCHNAFFFLECKKKKKKKKKCHCCHHCH

Oh whats that! Damn, I just woke up!

Rest assured they'll sting you if they catch ya' With their highly publicised media campagn, they would have reached hundreds of thousands licence holders, wouldn't they.......

I think most of the changes are good. The bag limits are generally well above what most people can eat anyway. It is a little tough accepting a limit on leatherjackets though. I don't like the things myself but with the plagues of them around at the moment wrecking any sensible attempt at snapper :ranting2: , I would be happy for anyone who likes them to catch as many as they can.

Cheers,

Rick

I think most of the changes are good. The bag limits are generally well above what most people can eat anyway. It is a little tough accepting a limit on leatherjackets though. I don't like the things myself but with the plagues of them around at the moment wrecking any sensible attempt at snapper, I would be happy for anyone who likes them to catch as many as they can.

Cheers,

Rick

I agree Rick. I can't believe that there is a bag limit on jackets!!! Fisheries should be paying us to help get the numbers down. I personally think it should be illegal to put one back in the water!

A couple of years ago, a few mates caught 75 in a couple of hours off North Cronulla. I reckon they should have each received a medal.

As for the 65cm kings - it will not affect me - (except for once), I have only ever caught them at 59cm! :mad3:

Are Trevs really 30cm now? I must have missed that one.

Cheers

Peter