Squid Jigs

Mcfusher

Guest MRS WATTO

Squidding is my favourite fishing, especially down Jervis Bay. I have tried all different types of squid jigs and I believe its all in the technique.

I have used squid jigs that cost $2.50 up to $20.00 a squid jig and have caught squid every time.

I normally use size 2.5- 3.5

post-2011-1189592879_thumb.jpg

Edited by MRS WATTO

i think most people will agree that the expensive jigs work best and are well worth the money, try yo zuri's in pink or orange, i personally use the 1.8 or 2.5. the smaller ones work when they are being a bit fussy. u can get some spray as pic above or even just stimulate spray and that also makes things a bit easier...

In my opinion the expensive ones like yozuris are better, but you still can get results with the cheapies....

The expensive ones come into there own when casting and retriving in shallow kelp, when fishing paternoster style the cheapies seem to do the job more.

Definately spend the money mate.

My faves are the Yo-Zuri's in 1.8 to 2.0 size, the latter has caught my PB squid of 36cm mantle length.

I've found the natural coloured jigs work best for me, natural greens, crimsons and yellow/browns are the go.

IFS

Thanks Everyone

Info really helps. :thumbup:

I think i will get some yo-zuri. But another question; is it better to get them from a tckle shop or should i buy them on ebay???

thanks again

Mcfusher :1fishing1:

G'day McFusher.

Check out red's post in swap & sell as he's selling some very nice

jigs.

Be quick though as they won't last I'm sure

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi everyone....im another keen squidder, but im not very good yet

When squidding at night is there any difference in the way to catch them in day time? Should I b using the spray on scent?

Thanks for any info

P.s with the jigs I just got 10 jigs of varying sizes and colours delivered 2day from ebay for $10.... they seem ok and im trying them out tomorrow

You don't need to spend money to catch squid, its in the technique. Expensive jigs will improve success rates when they are slow, but when the squid are on they will hit a cheap jig.

Cheap jigs= When action is hot

Expensive jigs= When they are fussy they are the way to go, they sink better and have a better action.

My favorites are orange, pinks and multi colours. I hear black goes alright too!

No one can really recomened a size because that depends on conditions but, if you are going for one go for something that you can get to the bottom around structure . For most stuff i go 1.8 or 2. That means i can get both small and big ones.

Best of luck.

Edited by RPL

Hi mate,

Here is what works for me.. (After lots of input from people around here)

I never cast a jig, I always drift over the area with a hand line. It can be tedious running up to the start of the drift and back again but I find it works. My brother still flicks and most days I out squid him, previously I was flicking too and he beat me hands down.

The hand line has a two dropper paternoster rig, usually the bottom jig is a small small blue Yamasita. I find that gets hit alot by smaller squid and cutties, the top dropper I put on something larger, pink and orange are my favourites.

As for expensive V cheapies, I dont think it matters if you are using a paternoster rig and have them close to the bottom on a short dropper, the action is much the same.

EGIMAX??? Say yes every time :)

Hope that helps.

Robbie.

It's all been said here, but I will add one thing - the expensive ones last longer - I find the cloth cover on the cheapies wears through after only a couple of determined squid.

And yes - support your tackle shop!!

Thanks again everyone.

Ill try to support the sponsers but where is fishraiders closest sponser to mosman???

Thanks again

Mcfusher

Doesnt matter to much anyway mate as all the guys happily post products to you for a resonable fee and if it was something like a rod and reel perchase you would mind a little drive to check out what you want!!! Ive had watto's and ff tony send me stuff and they both got to me within a matter of 2 days or something, plenty quick enough for you to order at the start of the working week then use them on the weekend!!! :thumbup:

Edited by fishlexic