My First Jewy.

squidlips

I always fish the upper esturies of middle harbour for flathead and bream, and have always taken heavier outfit to throw out a livey or a big fillet hoping for a jew.

After watching Craig Macgills Sydney fishing, and the good jews he was getting in middle harbour on soft plastics, i was determined to get one as well.

I had a 4500 baitrunner reel set up with a live Yakka on it, a beach rod (only other heavier gear i have ) with a slab of mullet fillet, a 7 foot spin rod with a pilchard tail on it ( hoping for a flattie or bream ), and i was walking the banks flicking shads for flathead on a smaller rack raider spin rod.

I was playing around with my rack raider putting a new leader on it, and my 7 foot spin rod started screaming. I had the drag very loose, and it was spooled with 6 pound braid. I decided to let the bugger run, and i was instantly thinking possible Jew. It hit too hard and fast to be a ray, and this run was too long for a big flattie.

The thing kept going, and as my barid vanished of the spool, i was left with limited dodgy mono line.

The run came started to slow ,I STRIKED, and i was locked on.

After about 10 minutes of fighting, and a 2nd big run, i finally caught my first Jewfish. Not a monstor, but awsome fun on a light spin rod. Stoked.

I have attached a pic.

post-6091-1196220390_thumb.jpg

I always fish the upper esturies of middle harbour for flathead and bream, and have always taken heavier outfit to throw out a livey or a big fillet hoping for a jew.

After watching Craig Macgills Sydney fishing, and the good jews he was getting in middle harbour on soft plastics, i was determined to get one as well.

I had a 4500 baitrunner reel set up with a live Yakka on it, a beach rod (only other heavier gear i have ) with a slab of mullet fillet, a 7 foot spin rod with a pilchard tail on it ( hoping for a flattie or bream ), and i was walking the banks flicking shads for flathead on a smaller rack raider spin rod.

I was playing around with my rack raider putting a new leader on it, and my 7 foot spin rod started screaming. I had the drag very loose, and it was spooled with 6 pound braid. I decided to let the bugger run, and i was instantly thinking possible Jew. It hit too hard and fast to be a ray, and this run was too long for a big flattie.

The thing kept going, and as my barid vanished of the spool, i was left with limited dodgy mono line.

The run came started to slow ,I STRIKED, and i was locked on.

After about 10 minutes of fighting, and a 2nd big run, i finally caught my first Jewfish. Not a monstor, but awsome fun on a light spin rod. Stoked.

I have attached a pic.

great effort - you must be stoked!

:biggrin2:

keep em coming mate!

Sensational effort,

I well remember my 1st, in a spot not far from there and I've never been the same since. I am a bit surprised to see them there at this time of year.

full marks for getting the fish over the oysters.

:yahoo:

Edited by humesy

Well done, Squidlips - nice looking fish there & particularly well done for getting it to shore on such light gear!!!

Should be very nice served with either chips & salad or mashed potato & salad!!! :1prop:

I remember my first jewie - I was throwing a metal slice around Jaynie's corner here at Forster for Tailor & the jewie hit it!! He was a bit smaller than yours, but I was happy with that!! You never forget your first .....

Cheers

Roberta

Very nice school jew for a first that one. Keep going back to the same spot with whole squid and livies on at night and your rods in solid rod holders, it's a good spot to fish landbased and a good area for jew :thumbup: .

Cheers.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Between me and my mates, we have caught about 5 jews there. Its a good land based spot. Big deep holes and lots of mullet around for them to feed on.

3 have been caught on whole pilchards, mine on a half pilchard, and one was strangely caught on a twitching nipper soft plastic, 1st cast for the day.

Have tried all the prime jewy baits, ( fresh mullet, squid, taylor fillet, yakkas,) and never had much luck.

Its always the pilchards that get smacked. Is a nightmare baiting up when those chopper tailor are around though.

Well done mate!

It looks great up there and plenty of jewies have come from that area.

I think ATM they have moved right up there into some of the holes especially with the big tides.

Thats my BS theory anyway.

You have tempted me into going out in the AM up river and sonaring out the area.

Just got a fishfinder so can finally look for the drop offs and holes.

Must be some monster flatties up there as well.

Congrats and happy eating. PS You should dig the jewels out of your first jewie.

Zenman :thumbup:

Nice report, Nice Fish and congratulations. Where abouts were the fish hooked up at? looks like its around roseville bridge area.

Keep up the good work, Jews are going off everywhere at the moment. I had three on thrusday night and 1 on friday night at Clarks point sydney.

congratulations. :thumbup: