Sydney Harbour 11th December, 2007

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

I took some clients out on a charter yesterday despite the bad weather prediction. The Guide was happy to launch so what is a man supposed to do?? Off we went slowly putting into a 15 knot south south wester easter then wester then tending everywhere. :wacko:

We found some shelter and sent the squid jigs into the kelp. After an hour and half we had 15 squid in the tank. They were only little jelly beans but nonetheless, the were squid and they were live. :thumbup:

We peeled out into the Harbour proper and commenced drifting around a few of the markers. Half an hour in, one of the rods buckles and the Spheros goes into overdrive. A nice 70cm King comes aboard after a good tussle. :biggrin2:

After a couple more drifts and a few undersized kings plus a couple of smoking runs which ended up with frayed traces and a re-rigg, we decided to anchor on the spot and seriously assault these tackle stealers.

As soon as we anchored up, the action died. Luckily, we had a packet of Doritos which went straight into the burley bucket and soon, we had some interest again. Another howling run and lost tackle!! :1badmood: These fish were stubborn.

We sat for a while longer and all of a sudden, the rods all start buckling at once. We had a few double hook ups and a few more lost fish. We started to get worried that the fish to too big for the gear!!! :(

The next few hits were landed and they were nice 70-75cm models and fat and healthy. The next 30 minutes saw a hot bite come on and we landed another four and lost many others to pulled hooks or the structure. :thumbup:

Squid was getting low, the wind was getting up and the waves were starting to make things unpleasant so, the last squid goes down, gets picked to death and we are done.

Great day and I am certainly glad we persisted in the ordinary weather.

Edited by Ceph

you lucky buggers, great report Ceph.

We had similar bite action on Sunday for about a half an hour with similar results. After about 10 hook ups and one was a triple hook up at one stage we only managed 1 landed at 74cm.

cant wait to get out again.

ps Ceph were you out on Sunday with about 4 blokes in your boat?

Thanks for all comments lads.. :1prop:

The tackle we were getting pinged on was 50lb braid and 60lb leaders fished off a couple of Spheros Reels and a big Baitrunner. :(

I don't think it was the gear as much as the shallow water (15m) and the proximity of our baits to the bottom. By the time you hooked the fish and started to apply the pressure, he was in the reef.. :1badmood:

A couple of them did take a big dive from midwater though. I guess they were just big fish and the gear probably wasn't being fished to its limits! Good fun all the same. :thumbup:

:thumbup: well done ceph in trying conditions...

now thats what you call looking after your clients :biggrin2:

forget the standard golf day,get em onto a kingy or 2 and they will love you forever......

now how to get my boss to let me take our clients out during weekdays...mmmmmmmmm...

cheers... steve.....