George River 12/12 & 13/12 Jews Whiting And Bream

Yabbiehunter

Evening Raiders

i got a call yesterday from my mum yesterday telling me that my dad had caught a nice jew from georges river, she said it was about 1m long....... i thought 2 myself "Yeah Yeah" ive heard it all before only to see smaller fish, but this time to my amazement it was true. the 1st photo was taken yesterday it was a jew caught right on high tide using TUBEWORMS!!! also i wanna make a point that this fish was taken from land not from a boat.

Sooooo not to be outdone (And a little jealous) i decided to launch the boat the follwoing day (Today Thursday 13th) into Georges and drift through those areas where they have been landing jewies.

i started fishing about 5:30 using tubeworms and live nippers as bait.

within 10min i was on to a nice long fat and healthy Whiting (see pic) i later caught another 2 approx the same size with 1 small whiting thrown back. also 4 bream were kept the largest being 36cm with 2 thrown back, but those fish were not the reason i was there i was there for that large jewie with my name on it. i took my boat rig out 10kg Shakespeare with a Abu Garcia 10000BG reel holding 60lb braid,hooked up a full squid i caught earlier from the harbour and played the waiting game......then it happened......it didnt happen on the boat rod but 1 of the small ones the rod goes down and takes a run, my little brother gets the rod and pulls out the smallest jewie i have seen in my life hehe. to be honest i think my squid was bigger than that fish, he was quickly thrown back as i had a laugh about how i thought the big 1 was coming today hehe. After i let it go i started to think to myself about how good the fishing is becoming in Georges river the size and thickness in the fish today were all excellent and to see jewies spawing there is just great, lets you think that maybe "Big Mumma" is hiding there somewhere.

All in all a great day as conditions did not look the best and it is to rough 4 my boat to chase kings @ the moment so i might try another fish on sunday.......@ least my brother was happy. :1prop:

post-3509-1197547528_thumb.jpg

post-3509-1197547542_thumb.jpg

post-3509-1197547554_thumb.jpg

post-3509-1197547565_thumb.jpg

With the removal of the pros and the fact that fisheries have been stocking thousands of jews (14000 this year alone) it's no wonder the jew fishing has improved in the river.

Cant whinge about fish taxes too much when this is happening.

Dave

Gidday guys,im new and this is my first post,if anybody reads this,lol.Its great to hear reorts of the good ole Georges river slowly coming back.Great for BIG BREAM on black rock crabs,Used to get quite a few soapies from around the Illawong area.Thats a great whiting.Whats with the snapper?

Gidday guys,im new and this is my first post,if anybody reads this,lol.Its great to hear reorts of the good ole Georges river slowly coming back.Great for BIG BREAM on black rock crabs,Used to get quite a few soapies from around the Illawong area.Thats a great whiting.Whats with the snapper?

ehhhe thats a small jew with the photographers red shirt reflacting off it

nice to hear the Georges is restocking

beautiful jew your dad caught mate

well done mate thats a cracker jew

Thanks..... i guess he now has braggin rights over me heheehe...... no worries though ill show him when i hook up a hoodlem from the harbour

With the removal of the pros and the fact that fisheries have been stocking thousands of jews (14000 this year alone) it's no wonder the jew fishing has improved in the river.

Cant whinge about fish taxes too much when this is happening.

Dave

i have to agree with you 100% when we start seeing results in relation to recreational fishing the $70 or so dollars over 3 years is not much @ all, how can you put a price on your son/daughter or younger brother pulling out a large jew or king when before we couldnt ever get 1. Also it is good seeing that like mentioned before the river is coming back. They are constantly getting jew strikes from there, and the whiting (as most guys who go to lugarno know) are probably the biggest in sydney,when i was taking out the hook of the whiting pictured i could not get my hand around its head because of how thick and wide it was, they are buy far the biggest whiting i have seen in years.

Welcome aboard

i agree with you that Georges is coming back, has been for a long time. also Illawong is a great place for soapies, but i am shocked as to how tubeworms are outfishing fresh/live squid!!!!!!

Edited by Yabbiehunter

Never caught a jewie hope 2008 will be the year.

good report yabbie hunter

also :1welcomeani: sydfisher

i am by far no jewie expert but i have 1 place that has NEVER let me down for jewies...........Port Kembla, check it out if your aftwer your 1st 1, bit of a drive i know but i guess its a bit like chasing the pot of gold

Good to see that the river is going well after the trawlers are gone, and our licence money is helping restocking. :thumbup:

Dunno about you guys, but I'd be happy landing and releasing small Jewies, knowing that they will be back bigger in a few years.

GOOB

Good to see that the river is going well after the trawlers are gone, and our licence money is helping restocking. :thumbup:

Dunno about you guys, but I'd be happy landing and releasing small Jewies, knowing that they will be back bigger in a few years.

GOOB

Why wait a few years? i know they are getting them constantly @ night but like all jewie places people dont like talking about them *Oops*

Gidday guys,thats excellent that the whiting you got from up the river,as i call it,is an elbow slapper.Theyre the supposed famous Georges river gold bar whiting arent they? I think by memory theyre a little darker if im right from living in the river.But to get them that size,is too good. Cause they pull damn hard too,for their size.I get rippers on the flats at drummoyne for sport.Long live the Georges.

Gidday Yabbiehunter,and thanks for your welcome.I hope that i can maybe learn something and maybe provide some useful reports and info to the forums.You blokes are to blame for me buying bloody downriggers and digital sounders.And thats not to mention all those bloody squid jigs too,lol. You blokes are gonna send me broke.Or the missus is gonna leave.Or both.

Gidday Johnno.Thanks mate.Gees you blokes are friendly.

Gidday guys,thats excellent that the whiting you got from up the river,as i call it,is an elbow slapper.Theyre the supposed famous Georges river gold bar whiting arent they? I think by memory theyre a little darker if im right from living in the river.But to get them that size,is too good. Cause they pull damn hard too,for their size.I get rippers on the flats at drummoyne for sport.Long live the Georges.

There is excellent whiting in the Georges if you go to lugarno on any night of the week you see people fishing there all the time for them, by fat the largest whiting i have seen ever since "The Entrance" was in its prime.

Yeah,Yabbiehunter,just goig back to your post regarding the jew caught on tubeworms and not squid.It maybe that there are more tubeworms than squid in the river,and maybe easier to find for them.Does anybody ever catch squid from up the river? Just a thought.

i think it is 2 far for squid, but the river is FULL of mullet i think maybe a poddy mullet with a 5/0 hook swticking out of it may be worth a try. i will be taking some with me on my next trip on sunday, the only other thing is that the jews there have been biting right on high tide or on the turn of high tide. Either way i gotta get one of the nice jews

Cheers

There is excellent whiting in the Georges if you go to lugarno on any night of the week you see people fishing there all the time for them, by fat the largest whiting i have seen ever since "The Entrance" was in its prime.

i think it is 2 far for squid, but the river is FULL of mullet i think maybe a poddy mullet with a 5/0 hook swticking out of it may be worth a try. i will be taking some with me on my next trip on sunday, the only other thing is that the jews there have been biting right on high tide or on the turn of high tide. Either way i gotta get one of the nice jews

Cheers

Hey mate, should try one of those whitings for a livey.. In perth, the river whitings are one of the best livies to use for river jews.

Cheers :1fishing1:

Hey mate, should try one of those whitings for a livey.. In perth, the river whitings are one of the best livies to use for river jews.

Cheers :1fishing1:

mate the size of the whiting you would need a great white shark to take it down, also whiting have a size limit. im not sure about if there are size limit for them in perth but in syd there is

Gidday Yabbiehunter,yeah that would be a good idea the live poddy or as they say for jewies,the bigger the bait the bigger the jewie.Maybe a larger mullet say 8-10 inch variety would get a ripper.Hey,top and bottom of the tide leading up to a full moon around structure like Captain cook bridge.And while your waiting for the big run,you can throw Storm plastics around the pylons.I reckon thatll get em goin.Gees,with any luck within 10 years we will be catching jewies everytime we go out,lol.I wish.