What To Do When You Can't Fish?

slinkymalinky

Like a lot of raiders work, family, weather and other things often get in the way of fishing. I've got a bunch of fishy things I seem to do to keep me sane in the interim. I'd really like to hear what the rest of you get up to when you're stuck at home... I need some more ideas because I'm running dry:

Things I do (does this make me weird?)

a) buy tackle (pretty normal)

B) sort, re-sort and re-re-sort tackle boxes (one for plastics, one for hooks, one for estuary, one for livebaiting, etc, etc (also normal)

c) pre-tie rigs which then get sorted into different tackle boxes/bags (see b.) (normal... I think)

d) service and tune reels repeatedly (normal but uncommon)

e) re-read all my favourite fishing mags and re-watch all my favourite fishing DVDs (normal but annoying to my family)

f) go fishing for eels in the park pond (a bit less normal)

g) practice casting with baitcaster or flyrod on the grass verge out front (getting a bit weird)

h) sharpen my fishing knives until they can shave the hair from my arm (weird)

i) find obscure and pointless topics to start in fish raider forums just to fill in non-fishing time (so weird it's almost scary)

Any other ideas... I'm going stir crazy?

Cheers, Slinky

When I can't get out to fish

1. Surf

2. Movies/Shop

3. Play Online Games/ Browse Forums

4. Try to watch MIDDAY TV argh the pain of normal television

Most of all I read up on fishing and try to think of everything that I can improve on and try ask questions here :1prop:

slinky yes all off the above except shaving my arms with a knife

salting bait is my fav and making berly having had a good run on the bonito and slimmys now the tucker box is half full off snapper bait[fully salted,half salted,a days salted]cubes, fillets,strips,bony heads cut in half and slimmy heads cut in half

gary

I am in denial - surely there is a sheltered spot somewhere in the Hawkesbury where I can go and flick something around until this weather clears and we can head out into the blue!!!!!!!

I have officially reached a new low. The other day I realised my work PC has a dvd player. Now, I have a number of computer screens at my desktop and I can actually watch a fishing dvd while working!!! This means I dont have to leave the office to hear a reel scream! Pure genuis.

Caution around colleagues (especially non-fishing fanatics) is highly recommended.

Have a great weekend raiders.

AL

Great thread Tony!

1. Surf Fishraider

2. Change split rings and/or hooks on new lures.

3. Surf Fishraider

4. Service reels and replace braid as required

5. Surf Fishraider

6. Cast practice plugs in the back yard and get young fella to chase 'em (his favourite game)

7. Surf Fishraider

8. Watch fishing DVDs with Deno ... and chat about Fishraider :074:

Hodgey

Hey Slinkey

Here are a few more:

Make burley

Salt Pillies

Keep fishing journal up to date

Phone fishing mates for a yabber

Clean and tinker with boat and trailer (never ending)

Visit boat shops in the area (again)

Draw fishing cartoons

Tell your kids bed time stories about fishing

Very NB - Do stuff for the wife that gets you brownies for fishing

cheers

inhlanzi

Well, I committed the cardinal sin. Had 20 or 30 too many last night :beersmile: and slept through my date at the boat ramp. Still feeling half cut so not a wise move to go out to sea.

Looks like tomorrow will be the day. :1fishing1:

Other things to do when not fishing - yesterday

Change spark plugs in the boat

Start the engine - that V6 is music to my ears

Sit in the boat on the trailer and drink beer :beersmile:

Sit in the boat on the trailer and listen to DVD's while drinking beer :beersmile:

Play with fishing tackle while drinking beer :tease:

Finally, sit with the missus watching Worlds deadliest catch, and a glass (bottle) of red wine each

Not much else to life really :wacko:

I just picked up one of these....

post-2621-1212796895_thumb.jpg

I am off to do battle with the bait freezer :)

Robbie.

1) Pick up cleaver

2) Count fingers

3) Use cleaver

4) Count fingers

5) Attach cordless drill to mincer - Neighbour or son to hold. Son costs less in beer - well it's fishing not a bloody fitness test

6) Mince fish you were going to eat but isn't good enough as you are going to catch better fresher stuff

7) Count fingers

8) Whoops did I say do it on the lawn so there is no clean up afterwards other than the hose.

9) Have fun

10) Count fingers

Edited by pelican

Well im a bit of an R/C freek so i have two choppers, 1 car, 2 slope soarers(zaggis) and 2 electric Corsairs both badly smashed at 120kph into the ground lol, So depending on the weather and wind direction ill Fly in and up to 50 kn winds, also surf and currently restoring/rebuilding my car and engine a HQ Ute with a 307 Chev bored out 60000! Also thinking of building a R/C Game Boat.

So i have heaps to do.

Edited by smokinjoe

1) Pick up cleaver

2) Count fingers

3) Use cleaver

4) Count fingers

5) Attach cordless drill to mincer - Neighbour or son to hold. Son costs less in beer - well it's fishing not a bloody fitness test

6) Mince fish you were going to eat but isn't good enough as you are going to catch better fresher stuff

7) Count fingers

8) Whoops did I say do it on the lawn so there is no clean up afterwards other than the hose.

9) Have fun

10) Count fingers

I love the drill. Your an ideas man pelican.

I love the drill. Your an ideas man pelican.

hmmmm... beer the mother of all invention.

Like all good ideas that started with beer - lets just say the mincer wasn't up to the task but most of the freezer crud got cleaned out before we had a cracked housing - damm freezer burnt bait is tough and the metal push stick wasn't a good idea. We gave it a 21 can salute and into the wheely bin.

.... 1. Surf Fishraider

2. Change split rings and/or hooks on new lures.

3. Surf Fishraider

4. Service reels and replace braid as required

5. Surf Fishraider

6. Cast practice plugs in the back yard and get young fella to chase 'em (his favourite game)

7. Surf Fishraider

8. Watch fishing DVDs with Deno ... and chat about Fishraider ....

Hehehe I think I do that already, but without the wet day or working on the split rings & reels inbetween!! :biggrin2: Then I just think about my next fishing foray ........ planning on how to get the ute for the next 5-6hrs! :1yikes:

CHeerio

Roberta

I go to work. :1badmood::mad3::thumbdown:

Ross

:Funny-Post: Ross you're always loaded and good for a laugh old mate :thumbup: but as to this here work bit you may as well ask for a refund for all the torches that have carked it while you're somewhere round the premises looking for something to do. :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

hmmmm... beer the mother of all invention.

Like all good ideas that started with beer - lets just say the mincer wasn't up to the task but most of the freezer crud got cleaned out before we had a cracked housing - damm freezer burnt bait is tough and the metal push stick wasn't a good idea. We gave it a 21 can salute and into the wheely bin.

Mysteriously, beer was also the driving force behind modifying the intake slot on the garden mulcher to a size that could accept fish frames. Copes with everything bar big lizard heads! Also a good idea to clean thoroughly after use. hmmm