Still Grotty, But The Blackies Were There, Again!

arpie

Hi guys

We arrived after 9am & endured drizzle on & off (no heavy rain, luckily) & quite strong winds, to fish Tuncurry again today - a local lass was already there & she was quickly into some nice fish - I matched her with my first one landed, then she went way ahead of Wendy & me! Her bag ended up tallying 10+ really nice blackies, to 38cm. It was only after she had left, that I started to hook into some! I dropped 2 really good fish & ended up with 5 nice ones to 34cm. Most were females - the first in roe that I have seen so far. I'll smoke them tomorrow night :)

post-2231-1213513516_thumb.jpg

It was a tough spot to fish & the general weather conditions & cold made it more so. I hooked ropes & different things during the day - Wendy caught the rope as well, busting off, & was pretty disappointed not to get into fish today. However, it is a spot that I only started fishing better myself in the last year or so, as it is very 'technical' & when there are 4 or 5 people fishing it, the pressure is really on for accurate casting. This was Wendy's first go 'on the rocks' and next time we try the rocks, it will be in a different area, with less structure to hook up on! :)

They were taking the weed that we found in the leases about 1 month ago! It has kept really well in the pizza box, so recommend others to try it as a good storage method, with a sheet of newspaper between layers! Just make sure you gently squeeze out most of the water & 'tease' the bunches apart so there are no thick clumps before spreading it on the newspaper. This way, it will dry out a little bit, but not completely & will also not go slimey! It rehydrates when fished with.

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Beautiful looking fish. I'm sure the technical part of the fishing wasn't the bit that involved keeping Wendy out of the prime spot ! :074:

You've got me really primed to get out one of my long rods next time I'm near some ocean rocks.

Cheers, Slinky

Great day on the blackfish Roberta :thumbup: I'm sorry to see Wendy not following suite today.

By the way Roberta the way the weather has been take a look at the next lot of big blackfish and see if they are stamped "Made in Seal Rocks" ;)

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

great to hear roberta...leavin this week for 5 weels at hat head/south west rocks glad to hear the blackies are on the run..beleive their in the river at the rocks..with some nice tailor on the beach...bob

Hi guys

I forgot to say, that this was my best ever haul from that particular spot (only ever landed 2 nice ones there previously) so was pretty pleased with getting them myself! Chiew (a lovely Thai lady) fishes this spot every day, sometimes both tides & knows every inch of it!! She can catch fish in a bath tub - the 3 girls had it to themselves for a couple of hours then 2 guys joined us & one got none & the other got one, which just shows how 'technical' it is. Matter of fact, I really only started fishing it 'better' in the last few months!

HI Iri

I actually had to force Wendy to come over & get closer to 'the spot'! When casting on an angle, you have more chance of catching stationary (or is that stationery?? always get them mixed up!) things. This spot is more about plopping the float straight out, not even flicking it out!

Hmmm, Stewy - good guess, if it is the one I am thinking of, but I fear this is another one (we ... you & I... didn't fish it together last year, but it was on my list!!!) Pretty sure Donna knows where it is tho :) :)

Hi Ceph

Whereabouts are you? Check any creeks or channels that go onto beaches, also rock ledges that are exposed at low tide.

Hi Noisy

Good luck up at the rocks! I am sure there will be blackies everywhere! :) :) Also good tailor, jew & bream from the rock walls of the river! Give Phil Bennet a PM to see what he reckons! It is his home turf!!!

CHeerio - Keith has Art this morning, so I will try it again for 3 hrs & try to get CHiew's spot :) :)

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Okie Dokie!!!

Keith is at art today, so I Got there at 9am & thought "You Bewdie, I've beaten everyone" :) Turned around to get my gear & fiddled with the bucket containing my burley (yet to be chopped up) and then thought "better get to the spot first, then get the burley ready ...." Turn around & Chiew & her husband are 5ft from 'The Spot'! :(

Bugger!!! They took up positions both sides of the jetty which pretty well covers 80% of "The Spot" & commenced catching fish! :( The one bit I had fished yesterday was almost out of bounds but when rebaiting, I managed to get a couple of casts in :1prop: Chiew was outcatching her husband 5 to one & eventually he moved to her side of the jetty & I reclaimed my spot from yesterday! :)

Managed to catch one nice one, on 'their side of the pole', then got a terrific fish on right in front of me ..... battled it for a while, not wanting to lose it by trying to skull drag it in, but also trying to keep it away from the poles & the rocks ....... this is what it did to my hook (which was brand new!!) Shown from both sides .... beofre & after!

post-2231-1213594216_thumb.jpg

post-2231-1213594233_thumb.jpg

The fish twisted it & pulled it almost straight! :1badmood::ranting2: Replaced it with a suicide & then got 5 more hookups & losses ..... in a row!! By this time, Chiew would have had about 15 (14 yesterday!) and her hubby about 8!! We were fighting wind & rain (heavier than yesterday) but the wonderscarf really kept me warm & the jacket keep me dry!

By now it was Mid day & I had to go & pick up Keith ..... I was more than ready to leave!

To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement! Even they were upset for me with each ensuing fish that got off! :( Ne'er mind, I will smoke them all tonight & give Wendy a couple tomorrow!

Might have a break tomorrow ..... or at least try a different spot! I am sure that the bigger fish have come into the breakwall to escape the wild water that is lashing our beaches just now. Then again, I could always go down to the rocks & try with cunje ......

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Have you had enough yet Roberta? :tease:

I've got tomorrow off,and I finally found a pair of waterproof pants so guess what I will be doing rain, hail or shine :1fishing1:

There has to be other spots where the blackies are hanging out besides you know where I mean .

Cheers

Wendy

Hi guys

Well, we braved the weather again today, as we were pretty sure the fish would still be there .... and they were! Didn't bother going to "The Spot" as I knew it would have been chokka with people ..... so Wendy & I stayed closer to the bridge & fished the jetties!

I got into 2 very nice ones, after dropping one at the net & losing yet another to a hook being straightened (different brand & style of hook, too! :1yikes: ) Wendy got a very nice one too. There was a hot bite for about an hour, then it went a bit quiet & wet & we only got throwbacks.

After taking the photo of the fish, I mentioned the approaching pelican to Wendy ... but we were too late! One of the fish (the one with the injured head) was down his gob & he was trying to swallow it as Wendy tried to chase it away!! :ranting2:

Here are the 4 fish (pre Pelican .... the top left one got nicked!)

post-2231-1213688784_thumb.jpg

He had an injury on his head!!

post-2231-1213688817_thumb.jpg

Mine were bled immediately & are the 'white ones' whilst the black one is Wendy's (kept alive till the photo!)

They were all nice fish, & if they keep coming into the system on a regular basis, we could say that "THEY ARE HERE!!! THe Blackie Season Is On" ..... but I don't want to scare them off, so won't say that ..... just yet!

Cheerio for now - I will definitely have a break tomorrow!! Can't wait for the sun to come out, so we can get out in the yaks again! :mad3:

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Roberta ,well done ! Just saw this report, been busy for a few days & had to work all weekend.Going fishing again this thurs....seem to be working all weekend and getting midweek days off lately.

When out on a YFT fish last thurs.Hrs & hrs of waiting then all hell breaks loose.I ended up with a 35kg 'fin and boy is that an adrenaline rush! I was shaking for a week after! Back to more mundane fish thurs ,which once again looks like being the pick of the week "weather-wise".Will try for some bream &blackies and if I get a squid I'll put it out for a jew as well.All the best.PS I have my personal weed supply in the city,i just rock up, pick as much as I need ,and walk 100m to start fishing ! :1fishing1:

Hey!! GOOD ONE BB!!! So lucky to have your own personal weed supply that no-one else has found yet!! :1yikes: That's GOLD!! :thumbup::yahoo:

Good luck! I used to work weekends & had Tues/Wed off & LOVED IT! I used to have everything to myself ..... only downside was you were on your own .... 'cos everyone else was still at work!! :(

Ne'er mind, gotta be a bit of a down side to it - hope you get into everything you target! :)

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta

I have been using the pizza box method for a few weeks now for keeping my precious bit of weed .

Thanks for the tip

Regarding the problem you have with the hooks you could try the Hayabusa brand Jap mfg same quality as

Gama or Owner part no 17351e size 8 suicide pattern .

Good to see you are catching a few up there . WELL DONE .

I have managed the odd one here from the G/River also but weed is scarce big time .

Enjoy reading your reports .

Regards Pafisho

An ex-blackie fisho put me onto it,he's too old & frail to fish now,so I gave him some to eat(which he LOVES)then he told me !

Regarding the hooks I buy size 8&10 Gamagatsu by the box(50 @$16-$20) 'panfish/green',you have to order them thru you local gamma reseller......I have landed Kingfish on these hooks,they're nearly unbreakable :1fishing1:

Edited by Braidbuster