North Coast Trip

nightstalker

Just came back from a magic trip on the north coast. We do this trip annually and have a ball every year.

This year we went for two weeks with a week off in between to match up with the tides for crossing the bar. As it turned out we picked the weeks perfectly for weather and ran the bar 20 times over the course of the holiday fishing heaps of arvo sessions as well as the mornings.

We are traditional floater fishos and throw a plastic for fun but reckon bait kills plastics by a long way.

Out of 2 boats we scored a heap of snapper with the best going 7.3,4.0,4.0, 4.0,3.88,3.77,3.58,3.33 and 3.30 and another just over 3 to make 10 snapper over 3 kilo for the trip.

Bycatch included a 22.7 kilo longtail that took me 45 minutes on the snapper gear with a first run of about 40 seconds and 250+ metres, a six kilo longtail, 5.8 kilo mack tuna, a 5.24 kilo bonito which rates a mention for being a beast of a bonito as well as a heap of pearl perch and other reefies + one day on the tailor that had 46 out of the 2 boats in a couple of hours.

Have put a few piks up for your enjoyment and might throw a few in fish of the month and see what you think.

Ran out of room will put a few more pics up if i get some interest.

post-4220-1216621030_thumb.jpg

post-4220-1216621016_thumb.jpg

post-4220-1216621042_thumb.jpg

post-4220-1216621056_thumb.jpg

post-4220-1216621067_thumb.jpg

Mate what a great fishing holiday, they are great reds and one hell of a horsie.. I'll be up Broughton in 2 or so weeks and hope we can get some of that action.. Cheers...

Those are great fish nightstalker

Well done looks like and amazing trip.

Put more pics up and tell us more !!!

cheers

inhlanzi

Thanks for the comments everyone, I would get killed if i actually stated exactly where but a few of you have got it worked out, its not that hard but to be honest you could get this sort of action anywhere between Port Stephens and Brisbane if you are talking North Coast Snapper fishing in pretty shallow water with a lot of great fish and the ever present chance of getting smoked by a beast. Our best three are now 8.3, 7.3 and 6.0 but we have been smoked by bigger fish. One day we will get a 10kilo beast and one was caught there in the last couple of weeks but there was one of 13 at Sawtell a couple of years ago so take your pick of coast and work out the system.

Will throw up a few more pics later in the day when i get a minute. Work calls now.

Geeezz!

Some nice fish there bud.

There are some solid reddies there too, that bottom set of snapper photos those fish look in top condition too.

The bottom snapper has a pretty full belly :074:

Cheers Cam

Geeezz!

Some nice fish there bud.

There are some solid reddies there too, that bottom set of snapper photos those fish look in top condition too.

The bottom snapper has a pretty full belly :074:

Cheers Cam

East Coast snapper are amazing fish, they dont get that long they just get taller and fatter - unlike the SA or NZ reddies that get long and stay pretty skinny.

And the bumps ... oh the bumps - they have to be the best looking snapper in the world.

I am truly a snappaholic.

jesus Nightstalker,

they are some real nice reds, if I could hazard a guess I would say you were off old bar or harrington, we got in to a heap there last week.

It's gods own country up here for reds and pearl.

great fish ,good on yah.

cheers rick.

some great fishing mate.. but sometimes we dont wanna just know about the brags... thought this site is 2 help all members out.. no point in saying between pt stephens and brisbane.. y dont we all just say pacific ocean! we arnt asking 4 gps marks... just a location... once outside the heads there is a vast amount of water there....

we arnt the police u dont have 2 hide everything from us!

jesus Nightstalker,

they are some real nice reds, if I could hazard a guess I would say you were off old bar or harrington, we got in to a heap there last week.

It's gods own country up here for reds and pearl.

great fish ,good on yah.

cheers rick.

The point is your not getting the point. I could tell you exactly where but the truth is its about the system which i will tell you about any day and putting in the hours to work a reef system finding out where the snapper travel thru and hang out at a particular time of year - in this case their inshore spawning run. It has taken us over ten years to get to this point and I'll happily answer any questions but i aint gonna name an exact spot.

We fish 16-21m, are about a km offshore and we look for the edge of the reef and anchor based on current - if its strong fish will be stacked up on either side - if its weak we like to anchor on top 20m or so from the edge and use berley to bring them up off the sand, shale bottoms. We are on the spot before first light berleying so when they come on to the reef they come to us. if no action at all we move to the kelp beds in 21m by sunrise. unless its a very cloudy day all action is over by 8am - cloudy maybe till 9.30.

As i say the spot doesnt matter - come and anchor in our boat if you like but you are much better off going to a town you like - a bar crossing you are comfy with - (our choice has eaten 18 boats this year so maybe you dont like this one) - find some reef in close and work out your own system.

I think thats being fair.