Winter Whiting

finaddict

Hey Raiders,

Not the most interesting report but I finally broke the drought with a fish.

Fished the run in tide for a few hours with nothing but little bites. Had several small rods and a surf rod loaded with a whole heap of worms on a 6/0 ambitious for a jew. Nothing was happening so we decided to pack up when the baitrunner went off . . . . . . strike and ended up with this whiting. Caught a few more after that then decided to leave as the 7 degree weather and high winds was too much to bear.

post-1566-1219506425_thumb.jpgpost-1566-1219506440_thumb.jpg

BTW prior to fishing tonight my bait shop guy showed me a 96cm KG whiting !!! I couldn't believe my eyes!!

Tight lines!

Edited by finaddict

BTW prior to fishing tonight my bait shop guy showed me a 96cm KG whiting !!! I couldn't believe my eyes!!

Tight lines!

96cm? never heard of a whiting that big i have caught my fair few whiting in my day and winter is prefered for the larger species, Especially in The Georges, But 96 would be some kind of record.....

Like the old saying goes : Seeing is believing

96cm? never heard of a whiting that big i have caught my fair few whiting in my day and winter is prefered for the larger species, Especially in The Georges, But 96 would be some kind of record.....

Like the old saying goes : Seeing is believing

Yeah believe I would have never believed it until I actually saw it! I will try get a pic and post it up.

It was a King George Whiting from Victoria.

mate that's a great looking fish there and i love the pic with the rod

were you using live worms

i havent fished for whiting for a good 10 years we used to pick them up at narra lake in 6 inches off water with nippers and a good set off polar.sunnys

it was great fun with the kids after seeing your fish i may head to the sand banks at narra for a shot at whiting on fly

great report cherrs gary

:074::074: mate r u sure you didnt get mixed up with the number 96 on your jumper.hehe

i have caught my biggest king at 89cm and that does not look like 96cm.

i can understand you stretching the truth a little but thats a little far fetched :thumbdown:

Edited by Crazy John

Well done on breaking the drought mate. That's a very nice whiting! :thumbup:

Perhaps the whiting was 69cm? This extract from Victorian Fisheries:

SIZE: 72cm and 4.8kg has been recorded however the average keepable size caught in and around Victorian estuaries would be closer to 30-35cm.

The fish at 4.8kg was captured during studies conducted by Aust Fish Resources. The largest recorded line capture is indeed 2.3kg.

Hodgey

:074::074: mate r u sure you didnt get mixed up with the number 96 on your jumper.hehe

i have caught my biggest king at 89cm and that does not look like 96cm.

i can understand you stretching the truth a little but thats a little far fetched :thumbdown:

John that whiting in the pic is the one he caught, not the one he claims to have seen at 96cm.

penguin

I have one question though - do you always fish whilst wearing latex gloves?

I do.

Its good, you should try it. In winter it will keep your hands dry, and therefore much warmer than wet hands with the wind blowing on it.

I'm also unfortunate enough to have really sensitive skin, so if I touch certain baits (squid is one), I get an allergic reaction and my fingers become really itchy.

Chris