You Catch The Damndest Things On Gulp

Hodgey

G'Day all

The morning started out flat as a tack and bright as a button .... poor conditions for hunting flathead in the shallows. First two hours only produced 2 flatties approx 50cm, and a cracker that allowed Dene to get it tantalisingly close to the boat before wearing through the trace. It was 70cm + and would have been the fish of the day. :(

I had been using a 4" Minnow in Lime Tiger (as was Dene), and decided to try a more natural color in the bright conditions. Tied on a 5" Jerk Shad in Camouflage .... and the day suddenly got interesting. A couple of casts later, and Dene changed to 4" Minnow in Pumkinseed. His luck changed too!

66cm - released

post-3198-1236998023_thumb.jpg

62cm - released

post-3198-1236998052_thumb.jpg

Dene also caught a trevally approx 40cm and 4 flatties on the pumkinseed, and I caught a bream approx 34cm and 6 flatties. The wind picked up, creating a nice ripple across the water and a good drifting speed. Camo shad came off and 4" Minnow in Lime Tiger went back on. Another 2 nice table fish fell to the minnow ... and then this bloke nailed it :biggrin2:

post-3198-1236998331_thumb.jpg

Yep, it was mouth hooked

post-3198-1236998367_thumb.jpg

Measured in at 45cm - a new Raider record I think

post-3198-1236998413_thumb.jpg

All up, the tally was 1 bream, 1 trevally, 1 flounder, 1 mullet and 14 flatties. 6 great flatties for the table, a bream for Dene's neighbour and a mullet for the dogs. A good morning all round. Good luck on the water Raiders!

Cheers

Hodgey

LMAO!! Mullet (BIG MULLET) on sp - Brilliant!!! Beats my prawn on a sammy! They fight really well, too, so I bet you thought it was a bream or flattie! Congrats on your new PB! :) :)

Well done on the flatties - they are always there, just have to put something tempting enough in front of their snout to get them interested, eh? Well done to you both

Cheerio

Roberta

Thanks everyone. :thumbup: You all picked up on the same thing .... the mullet pulled like a freight train! It was caught in pretty shallow water and kept exploding at the surface without giving us a good look at what it was. The SOL was shrieking like a banshee! During the fight it was called for:

" a big flatty?",

" a trevally?",

" a big tailor?" ....

" It's a bloody mullet!" :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

Nothing surprises me on gulp anymore

I have caught two mullet on sps one on a 2in grub and one on a gulp worm

Nice session there Hodgey

Didnt you do any surface fishing?

Dene had a brief play with a new popper he bought yesterday Andrew, but after a dozen casts a large tailor took a distinct liking to it and then it was gone! :074: He tied on a duplicate one and had one big flattie follow it back to within 8ft of the boat but she turned a swam leisurely away :mad3: That was the only interest on the surface for the day so we just stuck to plastics.

The bream are still quiet at the moment, but the boat traffic has died off too so hopefully we'll have a real crack at them on the surface soon.

Cheers

Ian

Nice one Skip... :thumbup:

That dose of rum must have helped steady your hands to get stuck into fish like that. If only Mullet were a viable proposition on lures regularly... imagine the sight fishing!!

Congrats on the great day boys. :beersmile:

Cheers, Slinky

C'mon Slinky! You of all people should know that Mullet are "the bonefish of Britain" :074::074::074:

Hodgey, you are a FREAK!!!!

You shall now be known as " The Mullet Master"!! :074:

Top report & pics once again mate.

Cheers,

Grant.

:thumbup: That mullet was an absolute ripper! On a sp too! Top collection of flatties. I know I don't have to say it but, another top report Hodgey! Great pics too.

Do you and Dene have a favourite type of fishing? I mean for example, do you like sps best, or watching your popper get smashed on the surface. Do you have a particular fish you really like to target? I would be interested in hearing what would be your perfect day on the water, and what you'd catch. Your reports are always in such beautiful scenery and you always seem to get some "crackers". By the look of your reports, I reckon you and Dene have already had a few perfect days by my standards!

Cheers

Peter

Well Done Skip,

Nice lizards in good condition, good to see that waterway haven is producing well.

Mate rare catch on that mullet i caught one last week on a T pivot..

Cheers Fellas

Cam

My goodness - a dirty filthy mullet and you posted the pictures as well.

I'd like to bet that if Dene caught it he wouldn't be seen dead posting a pic of that smelly thing.

As always, the hunter caught his quarry, and then some.

Well done, great pics again.

Cheers

Mariner