Smallish Reel

stinger

gday raiders

i am looking for a threadline reel to go on my daiwa procaster

i want to run6-8lb braid for bream small jews salmon etc

i have got about $100 to spend and i would like a 1500 - 2500 size reel

i prefer shimano because i have 3 daiwa reels and they all have s##t drags

what is the best value for money reels for this price

is it worth saving for a stradic or sustain but i would preffer something cheaper since i am 13 and dont have heaps of money or is it worth looking around for second hand ones?

thanks in advance

stinger

Howdy Stinger,

I know its a little over the 100 bucks but shimano make a Symetre ( i think thats how you spell it) which i havent heard many bad things about. My mate has 3 small symetre 2000 or 2500 reels and loves em. Has caught kings, monster flathead etc and this praise is from a bloke that uses some pretty top notch gear. i dont bother to borrow them off him as i have a sol in the same size and i am pretty baffled with your Daiwa have shit drags comment but if its not feeling good for you then definately dont buy the same.

Cheers. Mike. Just had a look and you can grab one for $155.

Stinger

Try a Saros 1000 F. 5 x ARB bearings and 1 x roller, ARC Spool and all the line management goodies. They weigh 200 grams which is nice and light.

I bought one for my Daughter and it is a fantastic little reel for the bucks. Priced around $100 if you shop on line.

post-3708-1243462599_thumb.jpg

G'day stinger

Aernos 2000 reel will fit the bill nicely from shimano.

Regards Swordfisherman

I've got a larger Aernos (4000) and have no complaints. Cost me less than $100 a few years ago (good value for the money) and it's been great to use. Mind you, I'm no expert regarding reels. However, if Swordy recommends it too, then it should be okay.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Pflueger do make some nice little reels for the price you want to pay.

If you are taregeting small jew you'd want to look at a 2500 size though, forget the 1500 or 1000 sizes.

As for the Daiwa drag comment, personally I have owned both Shimano and Daiwa spinning reels and both had sufficient drag systems. In the price range your looking at you can't really expect anything super fantastic anyway. If anything I find the cheaper Daiwa reels far better spec'd than the cheaper Shimano stuff.

Edited by BeachAngler

I have a Pflueger Infusion in that size, it was just over $100 after some haggling, its an excellent reel and so smooth.

I have to agree with MrGenius on the Pflueger Infusion...........smooth as your first sip of a Guiness :beersmile:

post-8021-1243937048_thumb.jpg

Features : lightweight rigid aluminum body, sideplate and rotor, 5 stainless steel ball bearings (Corrosion Resistant bearings in key locations), instant anti reverse, double anodized machined aluminium spool, anti twist line roller sealed drag and a spare aluminium spool.

Cheers,

Cam

i can vouch for the 2500 seinna ,for 60 or 70 bucks there a great reel ,that will do what your after easily

stradics and the sustain are a much nicer reels ,that will last longer but if your on a bugdet go the seinna

cheers arman

Edited by mr magoo