Beautiful Day Off Cronulla

james7

The weather conditions were almost perfect yesterday as we headed out of Port Hacking into Bate Bay.

My mate Syd and I wanted an easy lazy day drifting for some flatties off Cronulla.

Unfortunately, a couple of jackets showed up early on and we both lost a couple of rigs. This was not in our plans! Luckily, as the gentle breeze took us into deeper water they disapeared.

post-4381-1248255976_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1248256252_thumb.jpg

These choppers bite through 30lb line like it was cotton. :1badmood:

The flatties started arriving, small at first, but it wasn't long before a few keepers were on board.

post-4381-1248256435_thumb.jpg

Syd shows off one of the early "huge" flatties.

Sometimes your rod would start bending and you'd be hoping ...

post-4381-1248256506_thumb.jpg

... but the heavy weight usually means the rays were around. (Unfortunately for us, it wasn't "RayR" with a cup of coffee! :074: That would have been a welcome "Ray"!)

post-4381-1248256904_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1248257056_thumb.jpg

Syd did "play the banjo" again, but that joke is starting to wear a little thin now.

Mixed in with the flatties were some trevs, and heaps of yakkas and slimies.

We came back with more bait than when we started!

post-4381-1248257181_thumb.jpg

Syd managed to "double hook" this flathead. It definitely wasn't going to get away! Just to prove it wasn't a fluke, he actually did it again.

Syd and the final catch.

post-4381-1248257508_thumb.jpg

It was a magical day. Perfect conditions for mid winter and a decent flathead every 15 - 20 minutes.

And to top it off, I moved one ahead of Syd in our flounder catching competition!

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Hi Pete,

Top catch there mate. You have certainly got me pumped up for a feed of flatties that's for sure...Absolutely love them....

Do you mind if i ask what depth you were fishing as it sounds like the jackets might be disappearing. :yahoo:

Did you have a crack at using plastics?

Keep the reports coming

Jas

:thumbup: Well done Peter

post-829-1248266296_thumb.jpg

It's amazing how shifty old Pick -A- Box Syd always leaves it to you to take the catch of the day photo so that he's always featured as the one who caught all the fish :1yikes::biggrin2:

Top session mate :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

It's amazing how shifty old Pick -A- Box Syd always leaves it to you to take the catch of the day photo so that he's always featured as the one who caught all the fish

Top session mate

Cheers

jewgaffer

Hi Jewgaffer. I hope you’re recovering well. Will you be up to fishing again soon?

You’re right, Syd always looks back at the photos with a somewhat distorted view of who caught what. His memory is a bit like Swiss cheese sometimes. I always have to keep reminding him that I’m the better fisherman . . . and a much better photographer! I always look terrible in his photos! :074:

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

What an awesome haul there Peter......all hail the prince of port hacking...... Mate I go down there everyweekend and can only dream of a bag like that well done.... :beersmile: I've obviously got lots to learn...

Great post

regards

Robert :1prop::1prop:

Sounds like a good day out fishing, Peter! Those pesky leatherjackets are a problem, eh? THe rays, too! Had a huge one on once when fishing the beach & was hoping it was a jewie, so I followed it up & down the beach, to have it strip the gears on my reel & then show itself as a pesky big stingray! :(

Roberta

Do you mind if i ask what depth you were fishing as it sounds like the jackets might be disappearing.

Did you have a crack at using plastics?

Jas

Hi Jas. We only got bothered by the jackets in close (less than 10m). It's a bit unusual to find them that close in off the beach. The flatties were spread all over Bate Bay. They weren't concentrated anywhere. In six hours we only did four drifts because the wind was almost non existent. They were caught from 10m to 25m from North Cronulla to Wand to Greenhills.

No, we didn't use any plastics, although it would have been a good opportunity for me to give it a go because we were hardly moving.

Seems like there a couple too many flathead on that table for two people fishing

abecedarian

They were all were blue spot sand flatties 35 - 43cm. The legal size is 33cm and the bag bag limit is 20 per person, so we were well under. We also threw back about ten that were legal as we had as many as we needed to feed both our families (and a friend who cannot go fishing but loves fresh fish).

that is a great catch and a massive flounder

It was a nice flounder orca (delicious actually), and about 33cm.

Cheers

Peter

They were all were blue spot sand flatties 35 - 43cm. The legal size is 33cm and the bag bag limit is 20 per person, so we were well under. We also threw back about ten that were legal as we had as many as we needed to feed both our families (and a friend who cannot go fishing but loves fresh fish).

My mistake (and apologies), thought they looked like duskies... Can't tell them apart, it's been that long since I've caught one :1badmood:

Edited by abecedarian