First Taste Of Jew Success!

casper

Howdy Raiders,

Bit of a delay in posting but finally here it is:

My brother Josh has been bitten by the Jew bug and has spent the last few weeks researching tactics/methods etc for catching the elusive jew. When I heard this I sent him through a couple of links to posts from jewgaffer and the like and he devoured these with gusto.

So since I (plus wife and child) was staying at my parents place due to renovations at home, Josh made a call to go for a jew fish on Friday night.

Plan was:

1. Catch some fresh squid on Thursday night - done (Josh picked up one healthy specimen from Wally's wharf)

2. Load up the boat with supplies and hit the water by 6pm to catch the last of the run up - done, on the water at Bonnet bay just after 6pm right as the heavens opened up for the first time, so we went at sat under Como bridge to rig up until the rain passed.

3. Find the hole - Josh had a spot pointed out to him just upstream from the bridge, and if you look at the maps it's not hard to work it out.

After sounding around we found a spot and settled in for the last hour of the run up and within 30 minutes my brother is on - hoots and hollering all round as the first jew - 54cm - comes on board. This was my brothers first and proof that a good plan will lead to success!!

post-2147-1254975048_thumb.jpg

With the tide beginning to slow the call was to move to the other side of the hole - only to find that the battery was dead - ah well, so off with the motor cover and find some rope and whammy we are moving again!

Motor around and find the next spot- we were in approx 8-10mtrs with the drop off from 4 mtrs behind us. Baits in the water and the cooker comes out for some sausage sangas!

Next two fish in the boat are to me and my brothers mate Crabbie lands his first jew, both of these fish come in at 43cms so back in they go.

post-2147-1254976077_thumb.jpg

post-2147-1254976179_thumb.jpg

Next up is me again with my first ever legal jew at 53cms, we are looking good with 4 fish landed so far.

post-2147-1254976443_thumb.jpg

Crabbie is then on with another under size at 43cms(returned), then I am back on again with a 46cm model landed.

post-2147-1254976052_thumb.jpg

Then the heavens opened big time and it just bucketed down, and all went quite for about 40 mins so more snags were cooked and we were looking at calling it a day very satisfied with the result so far. But with having to get out in the rain to rip start the motor the call kept being delayed - just 10 minutes more and then just give it another 10...

1am comes by and the rain is not stopping, then that magic sound of line screaming off the bait runner sounds out through the night and Josh screams he's on!! Stuff the rain now we are all up and clearing the rods from the water and reading the net, after a nice little fight Josh with legs shaking and heart pumping lands a nice 73cm Jew!!

post-2147-1254976483_thumb.jpg

post-2147-1254976499_thumb.jpg

So the wrap up -

7 jew landed from 43cm up to 73cm

Fished the last hour of the run up to about 3 1/2 Hours of the run out.

barometer was about 1007 - 1005

Moon was two days from full

Bait was fresh squid stripped down (my 3 jew were all caught on the same strip!!)

Using two hook rigs with long leaders and running sinkers

All I can say is he is now hooked and next time he makes a call to go jew fishing I will be there with bells on!!

till next time...

Luke

Edited by casper

Ripper mate good stuff!!

i still haven't landed one jew yet gone down and caught live mullet in the arvo a few times,

hooked em up that night every time i have done it i have never got even a tap....

If you have any tips feel free to offer only too keen on catching a jewey of my own.

Cheers, Mick :beersmile::beersmile:

Hi Luke

Great result for the conditions. You have to be very pleased.

I can testify that it wasn't very pleasant last fri nite at como. I pulled the pin after 2 hrs without a fish.

Your spot worked very well for you, I'll give my spot another try in better weather.

The hole I was fishing went from 5m down to 8.5m similar depth range to where you were. I'll have fresh squid next time. Who knows ?

Hookerbruce

awsome report generous info on there, now to try get the 1m + jews ahaha did u guys use only squid strips or did u use some whole squid?

just interested to know if the smaller one's take whole small squid, were i fish i only throw out whole cbf cutting it up hehe

Ripper mate good stuff!!

i still haven't landed one jew yet gone down and caught live mullet in the arvo a few times,

hooked em up that night every time i have done it i have never got even a tap....

If you have any tips feel free to offer only too keen on catching a jewey of my own.

Cheers, Mick :beersmile::beersmile:

put the hours in and have fresh bait and your luck will arrive

gday luke,

well done on cracking the jew mate, caught my first legal at the same spot. they have been on fire in the system at the moment pity i been to soft to take the boat out cos of the weather lately. in this weather catching anything, let alone ur first jew makes it all worthwhile.

cheers

mick

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...jewfish+tactics

everything in this thread i read over about 3 times

i then purchased 'secret silver' a dvd bout mulloway.

Hi Luke

Great result for the conditions. You have to be very pleased.

I can testify that it wasn't very pleasant last fri nite at como. I pulled the pin after 2 hrs without a fish.

Your spot worked very well for you, I'll give my spot another try in better weather.

The hole I was fishing went from 5m down to 8.5m similar depth range to where you were. I'll have fresh squid next time. Who knows ?

Hookerbruce

my mate caught an 81cm lizard halfway between como bridge and where we were fishing

awsome report generous info on there, now to try get the 1m + jews ahaha did u guys use only squid strips or did u use some whole squid?

just interested to know if the smaller one's take whole small squid, were i fish i only throw out whole cbf cutting it up hehe

the metre mark is what im aiming for next... nah mate only strips. i caught the one squid on thursday night and we caught all 7 jews on the same squid. he was bout 10-12 cm long. if i had of caught a smaller one, i most definately would've thrown him on.

oh btw im Josh, Luke's brother