Quarantine Head

Mr Rob

HI All

Long time guest /follower so I figure its about time I contributed something back.

Went out to the boat last night to get her ready for the festive season only to discover an island of seagull dung and even a bird’s nest. (What those gulls can do in 4 weeks) After a quick scrub I was off to quarantine head for a fish while doing some work on the boat. A few yakkers in the tank I set two rods then get to work. On dark things start moving as a school white bait sized fish make home under me.

To keep it short it went like this: tailor, salmon, no hook, tailor, no hook, salmon, and so on. Not much work done at this point and a curfew in mind I figured if I wanted that Jew I was after I should give it a brake until the bait moves on then try again.(while getting that work done.)

The bait vanished then it was time to upgrade those yakkers. 10 mins in off we go, around the boat twice, deep but no real head shakes. Had no guesses as to what I was but it wasn’t like anything I had caught before. Then up comes a jew pined in the back just like the yakker I sent out. How this happened I cant say but to prove he or she didn’t just run into the hook the next bait down didn’t even get to the bottom. On more of the same caliber returned to the wet stuff.

No action shots but took this pic at home to back me up. The esky is 80cm inside.

Merry Xmas to all

Mr Rob

post-12006-1261363283_thumb.jpg

Just filleted him her to find it riddled with parasites.

post-12006-1261370087_thumb.jpg

I have seen this before but normally in much bigger fish.

This one is going into the berly pot

Is anyone else having this problem?

Holy crap, that fish musta had a wild night in town one night with the wrong fish :1prop:

I havent seen parasites like that in a jew fish before...

When you say quarantine, you mean north head sydney harbour yeh?

In my experiance I have found most if not all large jewfish are infested with the parasitic marine tapeworm.

This is one reason why I stopped fishing for jewfish many years ago, although they can be traced and cut out. It can usually be seen where they have entered the fishes flesh through the stomach and wound around the backbone. If you follow the worm around you will come to the head of the worm which is like a small pea.

These worms can also be found sometimes in large trevally and tailor in my experiance.

Most fisherman do not notice them unless they look closely, and are unaware they exist.

I have read some where before that they can be transmitted to humans but i cannot find any reference today.

Just make sure that the fish is well cooked and cut out all the worm.

Regards Saltrix

In my experiance I have found most if not all large jewfish are infested with the parasitic marine tapeworm.

This is one reason why I stopped fishing for jewfish many years ago, although they can be traced and cut out. It can usually be seen where they have entered the fishes flesh through the stomach and wound around the backbone. If you follow the worm around you will come to the head of the worm which is like a small pea.

These worms can also be found sometimes in large trevally and tailor in my experiance.

Most fisherman do not notice them unless they look closely, and are unaware they exist.

I have read some where before that they can be transmitted to humans but i cannot find any reference today.

Just make sure that the fish is well cooked and cut out all the worm.

Regards Saltrix

Saltrix

Everything you say rings true. I have had this discussion once before.

I may join you and let them be in the harbor.

But they are still great sport especially on hard bodies.