105cm (8kg) King At 'the Colours'

The President

Fellow Raiders,

I read the various posts every couple of days and get a feel of where the action is. I read 'Spongy's' report on the 20/12/09 where he stated Kings where at 'The Colours'. Decided yeah lets try there.

Lazy start, put the boat in at Rose Bay 7am, quick run to my 'Yakka' ground, lots of lovely small 'finger size' Yakka's. The weather dark, overcast with drizzle. Swell was about 1.5m with a modest Southerly 15knts. Get to The Colours make a few drifts to find the reef's peaks. Four on board, three fishing with live yakkas and I opting to jig. Outfit was a 7' Saltiga Allrounder (rod) matched with a Saltiga Game 3500 reel, spooled with 20lb braid, 60lb leader and 270g jig.

Couple of drops and I'm on, a small bonito. Later used for bottom bait. A couple more drops and something hits the jig on the way down. Solid first run, with definate weight behind it. Line peeling of the reel, I'm thinking bottom must be getting close, I'm going to get reefed very soon. It's now or never, so I use my hand to add drag and manage to turn the fish. Start to pump and wind like crazy, the fishing is coming up. Get to see the fish about 5m under the boat, nice Kingy. Estimating around the 1m mark. Slacken off the drag a little, fish goes down about 30m.

Spend the next 20m in a stand off, I can't turn the fish and I won't let it go down any further down. We decide to start the boat and drive around and try an opposite angle. I make some progress but can't get the fish up enough to see it again. We spend the next 20 minutes driving the boat around the fish trying to raise it. I felt like I was fighting a giant tuna. Finally, after nearly an hour the fish slowly comes to the surface about 10m away from the boat. We see it was foul hooked with the bottom jig hook stuck in it's side. Figured that's why I couldn't turn it and it felt like pulling a bucket full of water. Anyway, fish is netted and is our biggest King thus far. 105cm and 8kg. Fished for another two hours for zip.

The president.

Crew: Doggus, Butch and Billboa

post-11722-1261986589_thumb.jpgpost-11722-1261986614_thumb.jpg

Edited by The President

Framedtrash, I figured why not place a single hook on the bottom as well. I'm new to the jigging scene but in the past I've caught some fish with heavy splice jigs with the a bottom being a treble. I used two solid split rings and a straight live bait hook without a kink. Worked a treat this time. My only concern is it may cause me snagging on the bottom.

yeh there is the issue with snagging but the main reason they took the singles off the bottom is that it gives the fish too much leverage

the idea of the single hook on a split ring is so that when a fish takes the jig and connects with the hook the hook is directly attached to the line and the jig just swings free

but when you have caught a fish on the bottom hook on the jig it gives the fish the ability to pop the hook out of its mouth using the jigs weight to pop it out

you will still catch fish using the bottom stinger but this is why most of the jigs you buy this way are rigged this way

gives alot better result

Edited by Framedtrash

Great work there - especially on light gear.

Awesome fish!!!

I was out there today. Much quieter than the other days. Very little on the sounder, but still managed a couple in not so ideal conditions. The biggest going 75cm.

Cheers,

Jeff

Fellow Raiders,

I read the various posts every couple of days and get a feel of where the action is. I read 'Spongy's' report on the 20/12/09 where he stated Kings where at 'The Colours'. Decided yeah lets try there.

Lazy start, put the boat in at Rose Bay 7am, quick run to my 'Yakka' ground, lots of lovely small 'finger size' Yakka's. The weather dark, overcast with drizzle. Swell was about 1.5m with a modest Southerly 15knts. Get to The Colours make a few drifts to find the reef's peaks. Four on board, three fishing with live yakkas and I opting to jig. Outfit was a 7' Saltiga Allrounder (rod) matched with a Saltiga Game 3500 reel, spooled with 20lb braid, 60lb leader and 270g jig.

Couple of drops and I'm on, a small bonito. Later used for bottom bait. A couple more drops and something hits the jig on the way down. Solid first run, with definate weight behind it. Line peeling of the reel, I'm thinking bottom must be getting close, I'm going to get reefed very soon. It's now or never, so I use my hand to add drag and manage to turn the fish. Start to pump and wind like crazy, the fishing is coming up. Get to see the fish about 5m under the boat, nice Kingy. Estimating around the 1m mark. Slacken off the drag a little, fish goes down about 30m.

Spend the next 20m in a stand off, I can't turn the fish and I won't let it go down any further down. We decide to start the boat and drive around and try an opposite angle. I make some progress but can't get the fish up enough to see it again. We spend the next 20 minutes driving the boat around the fish trying to raise it. I felt like I was fighting a giant tuna. Finally, after nearly an hour the fish slowly comes to the surface about 10m away from the boat. We see it was foul hooked with the bottom jig hook stuck in it's side. Figured that's why I couldn't turn it and it felt like pulling a bucket full of water. Anyway, fish is netted and is our biggest King thus far. 105cm and 8kg. Fished for another two hours for zip.

The president.

Crew: Doggus, Butch and Billboa

post-11722-1261986589_thumb.jpgpost-11722-1261986614_thumb.jpg

Well done President.

Cracker Kingy.

Im still waiting to catch that Snapper at Longy. Tried once with an unexperienced crew and failed. Anyhow ive been getting some rats around south head but nothing much to talk about,

Where are the colours? i have seen the reports also and its proving to be productive foor the bigger kings.

Good on ya mate . get out there and keep getting them.