New Reel - Budget $100-120

Raii

Hi, I was looking for a new reel primarily for lure fishing, targetting the usual estuary species, bream, whiting and flatties. I mainly fish the Hacking, Georges and occasionally the Harbour off wharves/landbased.

So I was wondering what reel do you guys recommend around the $100-120 range, I also have the possibility of purchasing a reel from the US as my parents are heading over soon.

Thanks.

Also I will be matching this up with a 7foot Starlo Stix

Edited by Raii

Hi, I was looking for a new reel primarily for lure fishing, targetting the usual estuary species, bream, whiting and flatties. I mainly fish the Hacking, Georges and occasionally the Harbour off wharves/landbased.

So I was wondering what reel do you guys recommend around the $100-120 range, I also have the possibility of purchasing a reel from the US as my parents are heading over soon.

Thanks.

Also I will be matching this up with a 7foot Starlo Stix

For that money have a look at the small Penns' the Affinity or Applause,

I know people who have them and the perform very well....

In no particular order:

Penn Applause

Shimano Sedona FD

Daiwa Cy Spin

All three fall within your budget, mate. I have a pair of Applause reels, and a Sedona, and have had no problem with them. They are suited to the style of fishing you want to do and would match the rod you mentioned.

Cheers

Ian

I got a new shimano symetre 3000 from the states for about $125 delivered, so if your parents are going there you may be able to get it even cheaper. IMO great value for money reels, I have the old and new and they both do a good job.

Edited by nosliw

I got a new shimano symetre 3000 from the states for about $125 delivered, so if your parents are going there you may be able to get it even cheaper. IMO great value for money reels, I have the old and new and they both do a good job.

I double that! Symetre's are awesome for the $. Even at a good online store here you'll get one for only a smidge above your budget

Hi Raii, there seems to be a lot of good options for you in the replies so far, but take a look at the quality of Banax in say their 2500 to 4000 particularly i.e. my 4000 Banax is much more compact than my 4500 baitrunner. They were originally made in England but Banax moved the operation to Asia quite a few years ago. Whilst I'm not interested in updating reels unless they play up I have had a couple of small Banax reels for a few years now that were made in the Asian plant. The same models are quite popular overseas, tho dearer than the average reels mentioned, and have had no major updates over the years and have been discounted for quite some time over here from over double the money down to what you intend spending. Despite their reputation overseas Banax didn't seem to take off over here.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Penn applause is a good reel for the money and the amount of bearings it has...

Smooth and hardy!

I have 2 in 2000, loaded with 4kg monofilament. Perfect for my bait fishing trips. Wouldnt mind buying a few more if i need them.

Something you can get them below 100$

Justin :1fishing1:

In no particular order:

Penn Applause

Shimano Sedona FD

Daiwa Cy Spin

All three fall within your budget, mate. I have a pair of Applause reels, and a Sedona, and have had no problem with them. They are suited to the style of fishing you want to do and would match the rod you mentioned.

Cheers

Ian

Personally ive had problems with the Sedona range they dont lay the line properly and get major tangles. Maybe its the Fishamen and not the reals fault :tease:

+1 for the Penn Applause. Way more reel than its price tag. It's got HT-100 drag washers... smooth as butter and can take a heap of punishment. I've got a 3000 (about the size of a Shimano 2500) that didn't blink catching small yellowfin tuna last summer.

Cheers, Slinky

Personally ive had problems with the Sedona range they dont lay the line properly and get major tangles. Maybe its the Fishamen and not the reals fault :tease:

The FB Sedona was a shocker for wind knots and it was absolutley horrible with braid as it never laid it properly, but they reckon the FD is alot better. I haven't tried an FD yet but it might be worth ago.

For ~ the $120 mark I'd save and spend an extra $50 and get a Daiwa Exceller DA reel to me for the price it's a superior reel and its a solid metal body, you can't go wrong with it.

The FB Sedona was a shocker for wind knots and it was absolutley horrible with braid as it never laid it properly, but they reckon the FD is alot better. I haven't tried an FD yet but it might be worth ago.

For ~ the $120 mark I'd save and spend an extra $50 and get a Daiwa Exceller DA reel to me for the price it's a superior reel and its a solid metal body, you can't go wrong with it.

I bought a sedona 2500 and have it on a 2piece 7ft starlo stix.

Worked sweet. I've only caught a 36cm flatty on it, but it felt pretty good for the price ($99).

Yep i have the Sedona FB and it is no good with braid whatsoever, i tried different brand braid as suggested by tackle shop thinking it was that but its just that the reel does not lay it on correctly.