Blue Mountains Fly Report

taloyoak

Hi All,

Well got back after a marathon trip to the Blue Mountains to fly fish the Cox’s and Kowmung rivers around Kanangra Boyd region.

Walked from Katoomba to the Cox’s River via Narrow Neck then down the steep valleys into the Cox’s river and then skirted the Cox’s down to the Kowmung, and then battled my way up the Kowmung for about 25km’s all the way up to Christies Creek junction. Fished all the way up and managed a few good takes but no hook ups in the Kowmung, although did see quite a few good trout and rises. My problem was that I didn’t arm myself with the rights flies ( silly cause I knew I hadn’t taken the right stuff, but was in a rush), so paid for that error.

Both rivers are quite good flow, deep in spots and fairly healthy looking. In the Cox’s there are thousands of Carp- I mean thousands, and up to I would say 25-30 pound ones. I caught a few nice ones, and boy do they pull hard on a 6 wt rod, and also are not as easy to entice a strike as you would think. I don’t think corn imitations will work there!.

Didn’t see much natural food in the rivers themselves- a few very tiny scuds, some boatmen, and lots of small fry and ? galaxia sized fish. ???? Saw Perch but not 100% sure?. Saw Browns but no rainbows. There were a few mayflies around, and lots of dragonflies, a few beetles and lots of small green caterpillars, flies, and plenty of moths ( mostly small white ones), and tonnes of big butterflies around.

The weather was fantastic, getting down to about 2c at night, with a bit of frost around, but great days, clear skies and warm. The only trouble I had was that there is absolutely no potable water from Katoomba down to the Cox’s river, which is about an 8 hour hike, and I would think 4-5 litres of fluids are minimal, as it is hard going ( especially on the way up, as it is very, very steep with huge elevation gains ( check the maps!!!). So I only had around 5 litres from basically the Kowmung to Katoomba which took me 11 hours non-stop and I was pretty dehydrated and electrolyte depleted by the end. So I am heading back this Wednesday for a week this time, and will cache fluids from Katoomba to the Cox’s for the return trip.

This time I will be armed with a plethora of dries/nymphs etc, and hope to come back with some nice photos for you all, not just big carp this time. But trust me- the huge walk in ( about 40+ km’s ) is definitely worth it to me, as it is great fishing, clean and unpolluted and no-one around. Yeah, you can drive to Kanangra and that area, but that is a long Drive, and still a good hike in to the best parts, so for me, the exercise and adventure is part of it, although my legs are absolutely spent today. Because nearly all my hiking gear is in Alaska, I had to go to Kathmandu today – I got a great 75lt pack for 60% off!!. If anyone needs some nice hiking gear get there the next few days as they have the best discounts I have ever seen in ANY outdoor store.

If any of you guys want to join me, all you need is your fishing gear, a sleeping bag, as I have everything else. Let me know cause it is always better with a friend!. I’m leaving Wednesday morning from Sydney so email me if you want to join me.

Hope you enjoy the few pics, boy there were lots of black snakes there?????

Cheers,

Matt

post-8890-127149935087_thumb.jpg

post-8890-127149935537_thumb.jpg

post-8890-127149935876_thumb.jpg

post-8890-127149936298_thumb.jpg

post-8890-12714993658_thumb.jpg

post-8890-127149936956_thumb.jpg

Excellent post and that is some hard core fishing :1worthy: . If I didn't have to go back to work next week (had last week off) I would have considered accompanying you, however I would be using spin gear :fishing1: .

I look forward to reading about your successful trip at the end of next week.

Matt,

i must admit it is very exciting to here of someone fishing one of my favourite places, especially cause your doing it on the fly. if your heading down from narrow neck ridge you should try walking down yellow pup ridge( not 100% sure on the name but check your maps). it will put you on the coxs river just downstream of the junction with kanagra creek. not far up kanangra creek is a flat campground on the left, just below mt strongleg(check that one too). kanagra creek is a beautiful stream perfect for a 6weight and does hold some good fish. i havent been down that way in a couple of years but there has been a bit of rain so the river should be in good condition. you can drink the water straight out of the creek but i usually carry a water purifier with me. even puritabs will work on the water in the coxs as a last resort. You could probably fish for 3 days on kanangra creek and its tributries. if your in the area its worth checking out.

mark.

Great report and pics Matt.

I have done some trips in the area you are talking about so i know what you mean about the changes in elevation! Getting in or out of the Coxs river is some serious walking!

Hope you manage to get some fish second time around armed with the right gear.

I'll look forward to your report.

Cheers

Jim

mate thats an awesome effort...

pics look great, if i wasnt in korea at the moment i would have asked to tag along..

not sure if i would make it back alive though haha

cant wait to see your next report.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm re-armed, new legs, and packed to leave on Tuesday....last call anyone to join me???

Good weather seems likely, and I am "happy" cause I just got myself a extra battery pack for my iPod- so I can watch videos at night ( gotta do something right?). So after a good dinner of pasta, salami or tuna, plus soup....time to relax, watch The HBO show The Pacific, and Deadliest Catch, plus some good documentaries. I love technology!.

Will stay hopefully 7 days this time, as long as the food lasts, and weather.

And I promise more and better photos this time...then another month here in Sydney, and then back to the Gulag ( Alaska- just in time for big trout, and Salmon...oh yeah Baby!).

Big Love,

Matt

post-8890-127157776524_thumb.jpg

I did a similar trip over 30 years ago, stayed a week and caught some good fish (many using this new revolutionary rubber lure called a Flopy) . Interestingly I don't remember seeing any Carp then, but I do remember seeing what we thought were Maquarie Perch. Your photos are fantastic and brought back great memories, thanks, I look forward to the next installment.

Cheers, Langa

What a crackin' read! :1yikes:

Terrific report Matt, and the photos are superb. That sounds like an incredible couple of days. A shame about the proliferation of carp. :mad3: This is one of those occasions where you could honestly say catching fish is a bonus. That scenery is stunning. Best of luck with the next trip, Matt. Stay safe

Cheers

Hodgey

Good read mate , and it is a magnificent part of the world. The movie "Into the wild" comes to mind when you mention Alaska, so be careful!

BTW did you see any Browns or Tigers, we live mid mountains and have seen a few browns but only one black in a long while. Prefer lots of blacks to one brown or Tiger.

OMG Matt!!! Awesome trip report!! I was wondering about the snake situation, so not surprised that you included a snakey one! :wacko: That is a helluva long walk & cold sleeping for no trout! Better luck this week!! Look forward to reading the report already! :biggrin2:

Roberta

Great report!

Have you thought about a water filter?. It takes about 5 minutes to pump up a litre of filtered H2O and you dip the end of the hose into a tiny trickle of water.

Edited by humesy

Great report!

Have you thought about a water filter?. It takes about 5 minutes to pump up a litre of filtered H2O and you dip the end of the hose into a tiny trickle of water.

Hey Humesy,

Yes I have a MSR Gravity filter to get rid of protazoa and bacteria, and then have a Stripen for UV Sterilization of Viruses. However there needs to be fairly potable water. OK, the mud at Medlow Gap could be used, but also the taste is only filtered out by using charcoal which I dont have. Plus- most of my gear is back home in Alaska, so I am not prepared to spend almost $500 to get replacements for the above mentioned devices. Boiling is fine for me- kills all in 3 minutes, plus I use a MSR stove so 1 liter of fuel will last me easy 7 days of boiling water plus boiling for dinner, coffee, and morning porridge.

M

Good read mate , and it is a magnificent part of the world. The movie "Into the wild" comes to mind when you mention Alaska, so be careful!

BTW did you see any Browns or Tigers, we live mid mountains and have seen a few browns but only one black in a long while. Prefer lots of blacks to one brown or Tiger.

G'day mate,

LOL!.... I have been to the "Magic Bus" spot where Chris McCandless went which is depicted in the movie you mention. I currently live about 500km's North of there in Anaktuuvak Pass, as I moved recently from Kaktovik to this little interior community with my job. LOL- yeah I'm careful- it is great here to go out "solo" because back in the Arctic, traveling anywhere alone is a gamble, especially in winter or spring as you can go through the ice on the ocean or lakes etc. I have twice walked home in temps below -45c when my skidoo broke down ( usually fuel pump freezing), so after the first 6 months living up here, I ALWAYS have taken a tent, sleeping bag, stove etc if I venture further than 20 miles from home. Plus I have an Iridium Satellite phone, as up there there is no cell coverage.

Yeah the only snakes I saw were blacks. Lots of Goannas around too. But as it is coller now, I would assume the snake are not hanging around as much.

I love the Blue Mtns- if only there were good jobs there for me!!!!. Katoomba Hospital is pretty crap, no NP positions, and the next nearest good place is Westmead.

IF i move back home- I will move to Hobart or Cairns.

Thanks for you reply,

Matt