Jervis Bay 9/8/2010

ShaneHulands

Hi all thought I would share my little journey with you. I have been watching the weather for a small window of opportunity to wet a line again. That little window opened on Monday. Up at 3am and out the driveway at 4am leaving sunny Goulburn behind. After a short journey I arrived at Callala Bay and on to the water at 7am. After a short skip across the water I dropped a couple of lures behind the boat and trawled for approximately 2 hours. I finished my trawl near the tubes and Point Perpendicular. The fish and i ended this part of the journey with a soccer score, 0-0. Anyway determined to catch a fair salty specimen I dropped a line overboard. No actually I dropped several overboard. Unfortunately the only fish that took a liking to me were Port Jackson sharks (someone needs to tell them Jervis BAy is not Port Jackson and they need to go home). Yep even several dual hookups on the oogly buggers. Not being discouraged I upped the anchor and headed over to the tubes. What an absolutely magic spot. After a couple of hours I managed to land a 35cm snapper and two mowong to 38cm and 45cm.

Although the fishing was slow it was the perfect day. Time on the water, a couple of fish in the esky, several pesky Port Jackson sharks and a smile on my face. Heading back to the Callala Bay ramp I was constantly looking around admiring the absolute beauty of the bay. I dont think life gets any better except for another busted rod courtesy of one of those PJ sharks. Thank goodness for warranties and saved receipts.

After loading the boat and cleaning and stowing my gear I headed back to sunny Goulburn. I do have to give Callala Bay Boat ramp and facilities a huge rap. They are clean, tidy and very accessible and make wrapping up a days fishing even more pleasurable.

Tight lines

Shane

Hi all thought I would share my little journey with you. I have been watching the weather for a small window of opportunity to wet a line again. That little window opened on Monday. Up at 3am and out the driveway at 4am leaving sunny Goulburn behind. After a short journey I arrived at Callala Bay and on to the water at 7am. After a short skip across the water I dropped a couple of lures behind the boat and trawled for approximately 2 hours. I finished my trawl near the tubes and Point Perpendicular. The fish and i ended this part of the journey with a soccer score, 0-0. Anyway determined to catch a fair salty specimen I dropped a line overboard. No actually I dropped several overboard. Unfortunately the only fish that took a liking to me were Port Jackson sharks (someone needs to tell them Jervis BAy is not Port Jackson and they need to go home). Yep even several dual hookups on the oogly buggers. Not being discouraged I upped the anchor and headed over to the tubes. What an absolutely magic spot. After a couple of hours I managed to land a 35cm snapper and two mowong to 38cm and 45cm.

Although the fishing was slow it was the perfect day. Time on the water, a couple of fish in the esky, several pesky Port Jackson sharks and a smile on my face. Heading back to the Callala Bay ramp I was constantly looking around admiring the absolute beauty of the bay. I dont think life gets any better except for another busted rod courtesy of one of those PJ sharks. Thank goodness for warranties and saved receipts.

After loading the boat and cleaning and stowing my gear I headed back to sunny Goulburn. I do have to give Callala Bay Boat ramp and facilities a huge rap. They are clean, tidy and very accessible and make wrapping up a days fishing even more pleasurable.

Tight lines

Shane

Hey Shane,

mate im fairly new to NSW boat Fishing, my boats coming down from QLD next week and was hoping to get my first taste of down around JB. i have no idea what to target, tackle, baits, best boat ramps, accomm etc??? would love some tips ;) was thinking of trying out the outer tubes, and flat rock. is st georges basin worth a line this time of year?

Cheers mate,

Dan

Hi all thought I would share my little journey with you. I have been watching the weather for a small window of opportunity to wet a line again. That little window opened on Monday. Up at 3am and out the driveway at 4am leaving sunny Goulburn behind.........

Hi Shane

I live near you (sort of ...) just outside Bungendore. I'm often looking for a mid-week fishing partner. Have my own boat. Drop me an email (via my profile) if you are interested in a trip to the coast some time.

Hey Shane,

mate im fairly new to NSW boat Fishing, my boats coming down from QLD next week and was hoping to get my first taste of down around JB. i have no idea what to target, tackle, baits, best boat ramps, accomm etc??? would love some tips ;) was thinking of trying out the outer tubes, and flat rock. is st georges basin worth a line this time of year?

Cheers mate,

Dan

Hi Dan,

I travel from Goulburn to Jervis Bay which is a couple of hours drive. The boat ramp at Callala Bay is brilliant. It has good parking, a cleaning and boat wash bay. It is well lit. There is heaps of holidal accommodation and also a caravan park in the area. As for the fishing there is plenty of squid to be caught, yellowtail and slimies.

I use a combo of striped tuna, bonito and pilchards for bait. You can catch just about anything in the bay. My last trip I caught snapper and mowong, port jackson sharks and just about everything else you can imagine. I use a combo of paternoster, floats, running rinker rigs and get plenty of hits on all of them.

I hope this helps.

Happy fishing

Shane

Hi Dan,

I travel from Goulburn to Jervis Bay which is a couple of hours drive. The boat ramp at Callala Bay is brilliant. It has good parking, a cleaning and boat wash bay. It is well lit. There is heaps of holidal accommodation and also a caravan park in the area. As for the fishing there is plenty of squid to be caught, yellowtail and slimies.

I use a combo of striped tuna, bonito and pilchards for bait. You can catch just about anything in the bay. My last trip I caught snapper and mowong, port jackson sharks and just about everything else you can imagine. I use a combo of paternoster, floats, running rinker rigs and get plenty of hits on all of them.

I hope this helps.

Happy fishing

Shane

cheers mate, Thanks for the tips. will give it a go.

Dan

Fished the Bay on several occassions now and not once have we had a nice boating day! The winds can pick up quick and conditions on the bay can get pretty hairy at times. Had a very close call with a breaker of long nose point last time we were out there so as always, stay very aware!

As for accomodation, there are plenty of great places to stay that are at a good price. Personally I prefer a little place (I cant remember the name of it) which is on the street named "The Triangle" at Culburra. Short drive to a great ramp, short walk to the shops and the RSL and best of all a short motor out to the Banks. It is also only a 15-20 minute drive around to Myola if you'd prefer to put the boat in the actual bay rather than going outside.

Jervis Bay is a top place wether by boat or land based but I have been lucky enough to dive some of the ledges i use to fish and thats when you realy open your eyes and see the true beauty of the place. The fish that are down there and pay no attension to our lines would blow most people away. I would encourage any one that gets the chance to dive the bay take it. We would often fish the morning and then dive the middle of the day, weather permiting and then fish the evening but not always easy getting in and out on the rocks with a swell. (good way to collect lead also) My fav spots for a dive was moes rock and Drum and Drum stick

Have fished the bay for many years and as a GENERAL rule you need to fish early and get out by lunch.....

You can almost be gauranteed to start to see white caps in the bay at about 11-11.30 am

Middle of the day can be a bit uncomfortable.

Also be aware of whether changes. I have seen the bay go from less than 5knots to over 50knts in less than 5 minutes with many a boat stuck unable to get back to the ramp.

All that being said it truely is an amazing place!